nEwBiE heRe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcCcYBoi

Feb 20, 2005
Singapore
Hi i just joined Clubsnap and hope to learn new things from u guys. ;) but im currently owning a Canon Ixus 430. :cry: Should i get a SLR/DSLR or is this camera good enough for me to learn more about photography??? :(

Hi welcome to CS!!!

let me offer a newbie view, ask urself what you found lacking in ur IXUS 430? Have you explored all functions/capability of the 430? Also IMHO, photography is not all abt equipt it is also about composition, the eye for the moment (sigh which i am lacking...), and post processing for digital etc etc.....

ok...next...let's listen to the experts ....heh........

IcCcYBoi said:
Hi i just joined Clubsnap and hope to learn new things from u guys. ;) but im currently owning a Canon Ixus 430. :cry: Should i get a SLR/DSLR or is this camera good enough for me to learn more about photography??? :(

430 has it's limitations, like in aperature wise, does it come with manual controls too? If so, it's fine you stick with it for now, and learn how to take
better pics, angles, settings, speed, manipulate ur pics through different lightings, etc. Since you have a 15secs shutter, you can still practice on the nightshots too.
If you don't feel you have push your current camera to the limit yet, chances are you don't need to change it. But again if you have the $, oh well, no harm getting a DSLR, hehe.
But still I feel if one is a good photographer, that person can still produce stunning pictures, with just a basic camera since he knows the important points above.
My 0.5cent newb advice.

dennisc said:
430 has it's limitations, like in aperature wise, does it come with manual controls too? If so, it's fine you stick with it for now, and learn how to take
better pics, angles, settings, speed, manipulate ur pics through different lightings, etc. Since you have a 15secs shutter, you can still practice on the nightshots too.
If you don't feel you have push your current camera to the limit yet, chances are you don't need to change it. But again if you have the $, oh well, no harm getting a DSLR, hehe.
But still I feel if one is a good photographer, that person can still produce stunning pictures, with just a basic camera since he knows the important points above.
My 0.5cent newb advice.

manual controls meaning white balance... exposure compensation... etc.??? :think: mmm... if it is... then i guess mine does haf manual controls... lolx... :bsmilie: but im still not very sure about the ISO speeds and apertures... :(

Welcome to ClubSnap!

If you are totaly new to photography, then congratulations on your first step to learning photography. By asking questions and reading the reply you will learn lots.

Why don't you try learning things the other way around. Use your PnS and learn composition first, the PnS cameras are very smart and can take good pictures just by pressing one button.

After you have learnt the recognise a good picture and to compose it, you already have an edge against the rest who can take technically perfect snapshots. But that is all they have snapshots. Which your PnS can already do for you.

Then you can invest in a SLR or DSLR and learn the technical aspects of Photography. At least if you find that difficult you can still switch to P mode.

IcCcYBoi said:

no need to get SLR/DSLR lah. your ixus 430 is more than enough for you to learn about photography and to make great photos.

:)

i'm into photography for about a year or 2 le... but still not very sure about those chim features like those apertures and stuff... lolx... :dunno: but feel pai seh if going outings and taking photos wif u all leh... all taking SLR while im just holding on to a ixus??? :sweat: haha...

Yep, aperatures, speeds, iso, etc just play around it and take note. like what aperature to blur the background while the subject remains sharp, etc. Try taking nightshots too, angles, look at how the pros do it example www.photosig.com etc, or you can develope your unique style. YOur cam lets u play with aperature/speed etc right? then you're fine with 430.
Nevermind, my cousin took photography as his major for 2+years, and he doesn't even know how to take a decent nightshot. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.