New Lens Rumor - Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, the long expired update to the filmsy DFA macro. But I am wondering how long can the seals last as with any weather resistant lenses.

Nice to see that Pentax is coming up with new lenses...
But I still think Pentax may be going down the wrong path here. With the influx of new users joining the Pentax camp with the K-x, probably smarter to concentrate on lenses for them. DA 30mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 would be nice

Nice to see that Pentax is coming up with new lenses...
But I still think Pentax may be going down the wrong path here. With the influx of new users joining the Pentax camp with the K-x, probably smarter to concentrate on lenses for them. DA 30mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 would be nice
Well, I presume k-x users are more than happy with their 18-55 and 55-200. Ha.

oh my... i really thought it was a hoax!
Me too! Especially, since knyghtfall81's comment below made sense.
Thought the designation DFA means that the lens should come with an aperture ring - else it should be designated as DA instead.

The PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR lens will ship in January 2010 for USD $849.95. :)
Oouch... Just when I though this would be an interesting lens to get.
Price tag way too high... :( :bheart:

i am more interested to know that its a D FA lens....FF camera coming soon?

Not something I will count on.
Pentax has never (visibly) placed any priority on FF bodies.
As mentioned many times before, a digital 645 body from Pentax is more likely than a FF body.

It's unusual to call it DFA, although I guess that might just be because the optical formula is the same.

Maybe they didn't change the optical design from the old D-FA 100mm macro, that's why they didn't change the designation to DA but just added WR to the name. If you compare the old and the new lens, still 9 elements in 8 groups, min focusing distance is the same, even the size is about the same. But no aperture ring means when used on film bodies, can only use the modern, automatic bodies with aperture control on the body?

Read on other site on its spec.. its has rounded diaphragm blade.. think this is also a changes...

Well I certainly welcome this lens. I've found WR was useful during my recent holiday and the build quality improvement is certainly a positive step.

Actually I don't see Pentax doing away with the aperture ring to be a big issue at all because it is far faster to control the aperture setting from the camera body and shooting digitally, I have hardly ever used the aperture away from the A setting. Of course if you're using extension tubes without electrical contacts or bellows it might be an issue but I can't say I've used it that often with the Pentax 100mm macro lenses that I have had. Also I'm not so sure there are many macro shooters using film, so practically speaking it makes sense to ditch the legacy support for older film bodies.

I've shot some nice portrait headshots with the present DFA 100mm macro and with the rounded aperture blades of the new version, it will make this an even more versatile lens suitable for both portraits and macros. Read better bokeh...

Last edited:
thats why im not waiting... hee hee...

seems like a new DA* supertele is coming soon, just what Des is waiting for... :)

Hopefully not soooo soon lah....I just got another DA*. ;)

Hopefully not soooo soon lah....I just got another DA*. ;)

Lemme guess... 300mm? ;) Hope you got a better price than what you told me about recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.