New Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM

100mm f2.8L IS USM

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yes, IS works with a 3rd party TC, tested with 100L and Kenko 2x coz my Canon EF 2x Extender won't fit the 100L.

hi flyer... the 100L is not compatible with canon's extender is it?...
kenko ones work i suppose... possible to post some hand held pics of this lens with a kenko tele convertor??..

thanks thanks..

If you want EF 100mm f/2.8 macro but do not want to pay the premium for the new HIS L lens, perhaps you will need to hurry. CanonRumors is saying this lens has been discontinued.

If you want EF 100mm f/2.8 macro but do not want to pay the premium for the new HIS L lens, perhaps you will need to hurry. CanonRumors is saying this lens has been discontinued.

huh??discontinued?why? it was doing fine right? at least i see more bitching abt 7D than this fellow??

I have read most of the reviews available, but none of them really talks much about using this as a portrait & stage photography lens. Anyone has experiences to share?

I know this lens is different from the likes of EF 100 F2, EF 135 F2, etc. But the focal length works best for me on a FF, and it has IS. So, other than the aperture and focal length, how does it compare to the EF 135 F2 L?

I have read most of the reviews available, but none of them really talks much about using this as a portrait & stage photography lens. Anyone has experiences to share?

I know this lens is different from the likes of EF 100 F2, EF 135 F2, etc. But the focal length works best for me on a FF, and it has IS. So, other than the aperture and focal length, how does it compare to the EF 135 F2 L?

No issue when using it for portraits. In fact, I do notice it is much sharper then excepted, other then the focusing a bit slow.

Is there any shop having stock now for the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM lens?
waited so long ....

I'll rather wait for a good copy than to work for Canon's QC department again.

I am very impressed with this baby. The HIS really works as advertised, i'm just glad i waited out long enough for this arrive. Was a real fluke that i managed to get it at a reasonable enough price without being called robert.

And where and when did you get it? ???

haha. it was 2 weeks back. this was just a delayed response. I got it at AP. They just got new stock and by the time i got there, 3 out of 6 were already gone. I left there with 2 pcs left.

So far I've not heard of any QC issue with the 100L.........My group of friends brought 3 units and so far all have been spot on in terms of sharpness.:thumbsup:

I'll rather wait for a good copy than to work for Canon's QC department again.

Yes, got one for myself as a Christmas present. Much sharper than my Sigma 105mm. Also, AF is really responsive when I am moving forwards and backwards, which the HIS doesn't compensate.

Only if there is a 200mm of this lens!

Highly recommended.

I'm another happy customer here. Got it last week...........and have tested it on a Lens Calibration chart and the result on focus + sharpness is SPOT ONZ:thumbsup:

I'm not a Macro Guru.........and probably uses more for Portrait than Macro!!:bsmilie: The colorations straight from JPEG is very similar to 50L. Very Good........It's not the best.......till u try the 200L

Been searching a few places but no shop seem to carry any stock. Anyone got recommendation where I can get one?

Been searching a few places but no shop seem to carry any stock. Anyone got recommendation where I can get one?

Try Parisilk HV.

sample image taken with canon 100mm IS, personally I think this lens is the sharpest among my collections.

mrsd20.jpg

Last edited:
Also, AF is really responsive when I am moving forwards and backwards, which the HIS doesn't compensate.

If you have a 7D, AI Servo will respond in double quick time when a macro lens is mounted to correct for this longitudinal motion problem. It adds a third dimension to the HIS capabilities of your lens.