network-attached storage (NAS) for photos storage at home

foofoo

Aug 20, 2009
singapore; canberra
dear all,

though of using network-attached storage (NAS) to store my photos/documents moving forward,(use less CD-ROM; portable external harddrives) but I no sure what I need at home, for example:

1) the NAS need to hook up with my internet connection ?
2) can be use on my Mac and OS operate PC?
3) thinking of having 2 hard drives in the NAS ; when copying both of this have the same information/files
4) is the set up of NAS difficult; need to engage external help?
5) any models to recommend for home usage?
6) any other comments

many thanks for the help in advance
foofoo

1) It depends whether you need to access your NAS from Internet? It does need to connect to your internal network work for access by your computers at home.

2) Yes. It can be use by Mac, Windows and Linux. Standard smb protocol can be used by all.

3) 2 harddisk doing replication is RAID 1. The NAS will take care of the replication. It will appears to you as 1 drive.

4) Nowadays, consumer NAS are pretty straightforward to setup.

5) Popular brand are more expensive range: Thecus, Synology and QNAP, budget range: Buffalos and D-Link.

6) Wireless connection for write access into the NAS can be slow, while read access is still bearable. (Depends on your network and NAS you buying). For me, I using the NAS as backup and read only. I will have most of my stuffs on my MacBook and do a monthly sync or when my Mac HDD is full or when photo took that day are critical using wired connection.

I suggest you make sure your router has a USB 3.0 port. Then you can easily get a seagate, buffalo, d-link, WD, etc NAS unit. These have a very simple 10-minute setup and you're good to go. It's really very easy :)

I can even log on to my NAS while traveling and upload/download files and images.

I suggest you make sure your router has a USB 3.0 port. Then you can easily get a seagate, buffalo, d-link, WD, etc NAS unit. These have a very simple 10-minute setup and you're good to go. It's really very easy :)

I can even log on to my NAS while traveling and upload/download files and images.

That's a DAS.

That's a DAS.

Nope that is still considered a NAS. From the perspective of the client accessing the storage found across the network, it is a NAS. DAS are directly connected to the client that is accessing the storage device.