NEF to DNG in Lr 3

Dark Matter

Jul 22, 2008
Discovered by chance that when I import NEF into Lr3 as DNG format, something contradicting occurs. Inside Lr3 the imported NEF are shown as DNG in native resolution. But on physical disk location the DNG is 1024 by 768 (forgot the actual resolution) but it is definately small than native resolution. Is it normal & why is this so.??:confused:

To add more confusion, my NEF file size is bigger than the DNG by alot (maybe 30-50% more). So now did Lr 3 discard any information during the convertion??:confused: Is everyone having the same situaiton or just me??:dunno:

1024x768 is the embedded jpg preview. Not many programs can show RAW information directly.
When RAW data get imported then only the sensor data are taken, no other data, existing preview pictures or anything else. I don't know what Nikon embeds as preview, but if the initially embedded jpg is quite big (due to low compression settings etc.) than the stripping during import and recreation of new preview jpg (which is not stored inside the DNG) could explain the difference in file size.

1024x768 is the embedded jpg preview. Not many programs can show RAW information directly.

When RAW data get imported then only the sensor data are taken, no other data, existing preview pictures or anything else. I don't know what Nikon embeds as preview, but if the initially embedded jpg is quite big (due to low compression settings etc.) than the stripping during import and recreation of new preview jpg (which is not stored inside the DNG) could explain the difference in file size.

Do you have any suggestion for viewing the RAW file (DNG) in native resolution.
I had install the fastpicture viewer, which I though can see RAW format, but now it just show embedded JPG preview.??
Or I be better off installing the Nikon ViewNX to show RAW (DNG) in full resolution?

Ok. Thanks for the explaination on this part.

Do you have any suggestion for viewing the RAW file (DNG) in native resolution.
I'm not aware of such a program. My comment refered to real editors, not simple viewers / quick editors. I use IrfanView for quick display (it also extracts the embedded jpg) and I use Lightroom for all other post-processing. Due to the nature of data captured and stored in RAW files (regardless which camera type was used) I doubt that there is any simple viewer program. Reason is: there are additional steps necessary (RAW data conversion) in order to get a bitmap image that can be displayed by the usual viewers. Even in LR you can select different settings for the RAW conversion.
You might want to read more about that in Wikipedia: Raw image format.
Or I be better off installing the Nikon ViewNX to show RAW (DNG) in full resolution?
You can try that, but I don't know whether it really shows the RAW image (which would require an internal RAW conversion) or just showing the embedded jpg file.

I'm not aware of such a program. My comment refered to real editors, not simple viewers / quick editors. I use IrfanView for quick display (it also extracts the embedded jpg) and I use Lightroom for all other post-processing. Due to the nature of data captured and stored in RAW files (regardless which camera type was used) I doubt that there is any simple viewer program. Reason is: there are additional steps necessary (RAW data conversion) in order to get a bitmap image that can be displayed by the usual viewers. Even in LR you can select different settings for the RAW conversion.
You might want to read more about that in Wikipedia: Raw image format.

You can try that, but I don't know whether it really shows the RAW image (which would require an internal RAW conversion) or just showing the embedded jpg file.

Thanks for the pointer. appriciated.:thumbsup:

since you already got LR3 why not view in there?

My wife and kids when they want to view my photo, they go to location on physical drive using window photo viewer. when they view full screen then notice DNG is oni 1024x768. they dont feel comfortable to use Lr3, worry might messup my thing.

W7 x64.

the link oni for W7 x86

My wife and kids when they want to view my photo, they go to location on physical drive using window photo viewer. when they view full screen then notice DNG is oni 1024x768. they dont feel comfortable to use Lr3, worry might messup my thing.
ok understand, but keep in mind that the DNG will not show any adjustments you have done to it in LR3 unless you have selected the option to write adjustments automatically into xmp files. For DNG the xmp file is included in the DNG file, for RAW the xmp is a separate file.