need recommendation in getting a new DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ruud

hi ppl,

i'm thinking of buying a digital cam. my budget is around $800. i've a few models in mind, minolta digital X, panasonic with lecra lense, and sony.

i'm using a palm m505, and therefore, am thinking of getting a digicam that uses SD card, so that I can view it immediately at my palm upon taking them. however, i understand that SD card is way too expensive, and there're cheaper alternatives such as CF or MS. i'm leaning towards sony, as they use MS, and this will give me a reasonable reason to dump m505 and get T615 ;)

i guess at that price range, i can only get a 2.1 megapixels camera. i've seen somewhere that says that higher megapixel is not equivalent to better quality shots. anyway, i'm totally clueless about digital cameras, and i believe that there exists other good rands that i'm not aware of. pls advise. thanks ;)

Hi,

it's quite rare that someone asks for a digicam that uses SD. :) But yep, I think so far only the newer minoltas and the panasonics use SD, not too sure about other brands. For minolta, only the Dimage X falls into your budget and uses SD, the F100 uses SD but it's not out yet and it's a 4MP cam so would prob exceed your budget. A word of warning though, the image quality of Dimage X is a bit below average, check out the sample pics at the review sites.

The new panasonic lumix series also use SD, and I guess only the DMC-F7 fits your budget at $700+. Don't know about the quality cos no reviews from anywhere, but note that it only has 2x optical zoom, a bit lacking by today's standards. Hope the Leica lens make up for that.

The kyocera finecam s3 uses MMC, prob wld fit into your 505. But then, this cam is overpriced. Definitely out of your budget.

That said, it seems like your choice is limited. Why not look at other storage medium? I don't really like sony cams so don't know enough to recommend. But I'm quite curious to know why would you want to view the pics on your 505? The screen is not much bigger than the digicam's LCD, esp if you get one of 1.8". It's more worthwhile expanding your choices by looking at digicams with other storage medium.

Just went to simlim to get the A40, cost me $640 /w3%gst with 128MB CF card.

Your budget of $800 could possibly get you the New Sony P71, 3.2 Megapixel which i asked in simlim is around $660.00.

Originally posted by ccmheoa
Just went to simlim to get the A40, cost me $640 /w3%gst with 128MB CF card.

your A40 is a little expensive leh...care to breakdown the cost for us? And the brand of the CF card you bought? Thanks.

Originally posted by Tweek

your A40 is a little expensive leh...care to breakdown the cost for us? And the brand of the CF card you bought? Thanks.

ya i know a little ex.....but bo bian lor, AP out of stock....so went around looking.....the brand of the cf is Hitachi.
tried playing around with it, quality of the pictures is indeed not bad......but there's something wrong with the exposures i taken....

here is the first niteshot i taken!....seems a bit blur....

firstnightshot1.jpg

Get the Canon IXUS 330 if size matter...

if i were u i sure get the panasonic F7

it is chio and small

and furthermore ayumi ruLez! :D

i'm actually more concerned with the quality of the pics, rather than the size. is panasonic F7 as good as it looks?

for 800, u can get the olympus 2040 at 650 plus the rest 150 for charger, battery, bag!:D

Originally posted by kylelam77
for 800, u can get the olympus 2040 at 650 plus the rest 150 for charger, battery, bag!:D

hi,

i've seen a thread at hardwarezone.com that says the model has been discontinued

Originally posted by kylelam77

yup, that's why I urged ruud to consider other storage medium!

Status
Not open for further replies.