Need advices on taking building shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinaldi86

Apr 13, 2004
Singapore
Hi, as the topic, I need advice on taking building shots.

Any tips on how to take a proper shots on building?

Because usually when I take building shots, to me, it's just plain building. It does not have the "Wah this is a magnificent building" kind of feel when I view it.

Hope the experts in this field can advice me on this.

Thank you :)

Hmmm.....I'm no expert, but maybe you can get a Tilt/Shift lens??.....so that the buildings will not appear tapered at the end.....and that will cost you another $1K++.....;p .....but Singapore very hard to get a pic of a whole building coz its trees....trees and more trees....

rinaldi86 said:
Hi, as the topic, I need advice on taking building shots.

Any tips on how to take a proper shots on building?

Because usually when I take building shots, to me, it's just plain building. It does not have the "Wah this is a magnificent building" kind of feel when I view it.

Hope the experts in this field can advice me on this.

Thank you :)
1. Must see at least two sides of the building.
2. Front or side lighting.

If it is a paid job, get a PC lens.

LoL! Not paid. Just wanna take building shots for own practises. Because so far my building shots have been quite "dead"

Tilt & shift how to use? maybe can rent 1 when I want to take shots again.

And what's PC lens?

If you're talking about the "X" factor or the "wahness", then you should work on your composition no? Go look at a few books with architectual photographs, oughta give you some idea.

yah.. the X factor..

I will definitely visit library to look out for books on architectural photography. But meanwhile, I hope to have advices coming in. :)

Keep things simple, use perspective to your benefit.........like an overhang, place it on op of the image......try to find special/unique features of the building and place that as close to the lens to make it more dramatic.

there are more directions but it all depends on the building itself.

HS

If the building is not that high, you don't need a Tilt and **** lens, if it is high, try to go back if possible lah! Or go higher, take from another opposite building........all depends on the situation.....

You don't need any new lenses to make good architectural images. If you can't overcome perspective distortion with your current gear, then try making use of the distortion to your advantage.

If you are really serious, study the site before you shoot. Look out for the time in the day that gives you the best lighting to complement your building. Lighting will make or break an architectural shot. Explore your building at different angles. Its not even necessary to shoot the entire building. Isolating a few interesting details would yield better results at times. I could go on and on.....

1)i think the key factor is getting a lens wide enough. not necessarily distortion free, but wide enough to give the spatial feel.
2)then start looking for lines. running lines or intersecting lines. lines that generate interest. cuz most buildings are made out of lines.
3)see in black and white. sometimes colors are distracting.

I find tt the better architectural shots don't use wide angle distortions.
They focus on a particular area of the building.

Of coz, there're other methods.

For less perspective distortion, you may climb up to almost the halfway height of the building from a neighbouring building to take the picture. Not very often you can do taht as most building owners won't let you in for fun. Alternatively, you can go very far and use a tele lens, but that can only work if the building is not blocked by neighbours.

clown is very right, look at lines, they tell the story.

Hi

There is a simpler and cheaper was to handle perspective distortion. Open the photo in Photoshop, go to the Crop Mode, Check the "Perspective" Check Box, and Crop the photo parallel to the sides of the building. After a few trials, you should get the correct crop. I have done it many times, produces good results. Definitely better option to me than $1K++ overhead for a TS lens.

Cheers
Deb

Personally, the glow of a setting sun makes a architectural shot more stunning.Say 5-630pm or therabouts.

Just a lil photo of mine :D might not be the best in this forum lol.

cbd1_800.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.