My try w/ film (SuperPROGRAM+Golden Kodak 100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shots from our master:thumbsup:

Seems the lab scanner is quite good:heart:

To the ppl want to use DA40, I just found, the 4 corner edge have some problem when used on film, always a bit blur, despite the DOF effect.:confused:

Yep - DA40 and 70 works fine on full frame, but camera body should be able to control aperture. I tried skypacker's DA40 on a MZ-50 (which recently died) which works fine. Have the chance to mount hjyeo's DA70 on my MZ-3, with no sign of vignetting too. I'm not sure if the metering will work with DA lens on the K1000 body. DA21 will have vignetting.

The K1000 is a fully mechanical manual camera and don’t have a tab to control aperture of DA lens. There is only a simple light meter needle in the viewfinder, works when lens cap is off the lens.:)

Nice film shots Fengwei! :thumbsup: How did you manage to get this shot with background and foreground blurred, yet the object of interest is razor sharp? I guess you are using an FA lens? Except for my FA50 1.4 and M50 1.7, all my primes are DA lenses so I guess they will not work on my K1000D...

I'm always amazed they will pose for you. I get nervous when aiming at them and they look at me!
I just started a new roll of film on my K1000D because the film is expiring so I thought I'd better use it before it loses the colour..;p A previous roll I had which expired for 2 months had really washed out colours.

I took this shot w/ an FA77 lens at F2 or 1.8 I think, and focused on the old man's face, that's why the blurry foreground and background :) Actually most of them didn't pose for me. I kinda just shot at them and walked away, abit harder than using AF digital, but I was more cautious when shot film too, didn't want to waste too many shots :D

These are really impressive shots:thumbsup:

After seeing your shots, I am so tempted to pick up a film body and start experimenting to actually develop some photography skills rather than firing off burst shots with digital and remaining inept as ever.:embrass: My friend who uses film (nikon body) also has been persuading me to try it.

Will any of my lenses work with a film body, or will I have to buy new ones? I know the DA40 works reasonably well (?) because Knyghtfall tried it on his camera (PZ-1P i think).:dunno:

Thanks Sree. Glad you like them. Actually I still think digital is the way to go. But I don't mind shooting some film once in a while, especially after this try :)

Some digital lenses might not work well on a film body, and some old manual film bodies don't work well w/ lenses w/o aperture ring either. So better know which lens and film body you'd like to work together. On the SuperPROGRAM camera, I can use all digital lenses, but some do have dark corners. I'm sure the DA40 and 70 should have no problem working on proper film cameras (w/ aperture control on camera body).

I read the DA40 works on film 100% as it is an update of the old M40/2.8 design?

DA40 does work on some film cameras w/o any problem. But it has different optical formula from M40/2.8 :) And DA40 is considerably sharper, and focuses much closer too.

That's great! I will try it later...Thanks!
How about the 21mm and 70mm? Will they work also?
Also, for the K1000, can I change lens midway through a reel of film?

DA70 should have no problem on film, but 21 will cause dark corners.

K1000 is a totally manual camera, you'd not be able to control apertures w/ an DA lens mounted, can only use them wide open. And yes, you can change lenses as you wish, they are SLR cameras after all ;)

Fengwei, very nice and interesting shots from your SuperPROGRAM.:thumbsup: Heard you went shooting with your film camera but didn't know you killed 3 rolls at one go.:bsmilie: Looks like quite a bit of area covered. Thanks for sharing. It's make me want to shoot some film this weekend.

Thanks Des. Yeah, the first two rolls are kinda waste due to their ages :( But I'm glad the last roll (also expired over three years ago :D) turned out to be okay. We went through Arab St, Little India, Shuanglin Temple, Chinatown, the River, then my friend continued his journey to Sentosa. Since I ran out of film, and got two kids at home, I couldn't stay with him for the rest of the day. I'm sure he's had alot shooting fun w/ his K10D too :)

And yes, great pictures as usual from FW, especially the portrait shots! They were shot using the 43, and not the 77?

Thanks Junlong. I wish I could've picked up film abit earlier. Kinda tired of shooting digital around those area, and I need to go there everytime I got from coming to visit :( Need to do this again on the coming Saturday w/ another friend, anyone care to join ;)

Nice shots from our master:thumbsup:

Seems the lab scanner is quite good

To the ppl want to use DA40, I just found, the 4 corner edge have some problem when used on film, always a bit blur, despite the DOF effect.:confused:

Thanks Bro :) Your brand new ProgramA still makes me drooling ;p

Hmm, that's a news to me. 'Cause some of my friends have been using DA40 on film for quite sometime already, they didn't notice any soft corner problem. But I like the FA43 on my film camera anyway, and it's not so much bigger than any other lens :cool:

For the DA40 problem, its hard to notice, this one for example. If look at the corner carefully, we can see the blur is different to the normal bokeh.

2665992633_3344ea6a44_o.jpg

I think all your lens will work, due to the famous pentax compatibility :bsmilie:Its just a matter of vignetting.
Looking thru the list of lens in your signature:
kit lens: vignetting
DA 40: no vignetting
DA*: not sure on this one - did I use yours on my SLR the last time? Think it should be reasonably okay actually.
sigmas: if they are the DG lens, they will be fine with film. If they are DC lens, that means they're only meant for DSLRs. Not sure if vignetting will show.

Thanks for the info, bro. Much appreciated.
Will the vignetting strike only at wide open apertures, or throughout the range? I suppose I can still crop out some of it if the composition compensates for it.
The sigmas are both DG IIRC, since both have aperture controls on the lens itself.

Thanks Sree. Glad you like them. Actually I still think digital is the way to go. But I don't mind shooting some film once in a while, especially after this try :)

Some digital lenses might not work well on a film body, and some old manual film bodies don't work well w/ lenses w/o aperture ring either. So better know which lens and film body you'd like to work together. On the SuperPROGRAM camera, I can use all digital lenses, but some do have dark corners. I'm sure the DA40 and 70 should have no problem working on proper film cameras (w/ aperture control on camera body).

Where can I get a cheap and decent Pentax film body, any idea? :)
The keyword being "cheap".:bsmilie:

The one selling by macrob is a good one:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387209

It's not pretty, but quite cheap. As long as the camera is working, and if you don't mind its cosmetic condition, I think it's a good deal :) It's exactly the same camera as the one I'm using :cool:

For the DA40 problem, its hard to notice, this one for example. If look at the corner carefully, we can see the blur is different to the normal bokeh.

2665992633_3344ea6a44_o.jpg

Yeah, I know what you mean. But better shoot at something flat and see how the four corners look like :think:

Thanks everyone for the tips!
I bought my K1000 not for the features (or lack of it) but its cult status. Not a serious camera. Just something to play with and its pretty cool people looking at me clicking and manually winding the film;p

BTW Macrob, I checked my V100 scanner and its 3200 dpi resolution is rated at 2 min for negatives. I am not sure if it refers to one strip or 1 frame because I did a test last night and it took like more than 20min to scan 1 strip!...:( I have so many negatives that this would be cumbersome. Also, most of the older film has reddened so I scanned with fade colour correction which slows it further. Any cheap and fast pure negative to digital positive scanner out there?

Cheers

think the one macrob is selling fits the bill quite well. :)

If you're looking for the newer MZ series, there are quite a few MZ -50s / MZ-30s for sale in the second hand shops in the peninsula area, those offer aperture control from the camera body. If you dun mind the delivery delay and cost, Ebay's quite good for these cameras (MZ series) too, they probably go for less than USD100.

macrob said:

I noticed the same thing too when i was shooting with the DA40, now that you mentioned it.
can see from the edges in this picture too - (right bottom corner)

2angels.jpg

But it doesn't show in all images, this one's pretty okay -

lookingdown.jpg

Of course, there's no cropping done with both pictures

Thanks Junlong. I wish I could've picked up film abit earlier. Kinda tired of shooting digital around those area, and I need to go there everytime I got from coming to visit :( Need to do this again on the coming Saturday w/ another friend, anyone care to join ;)

If timing ok can i join. Thinking of clearing some film.:)

Thanks everyone for the tips!
BTW Macrob, I checked my V100 scanner and its 3200 dpi resolution is rated at 2 min for negatives. I am not sure if it refers to one strip or 1 frame because I did a test last night and it took like more than 20min to scan 1 strip!...:( I have so many negatives that this would be cumbersome. Also, most of the older film has reddened so I scanned with fade colour correction which slows it further. Any cheap and fast pure negative to digital positive scanner out there?

Cheers

I think 20mins for a strip (6 frames right?) is quite ok. My scanner takes 30min+ for 6 frames.:bsmilie:

I think any dedicate film scanner (scan 135 only) will not be cheap, $1k-2k for nikon or minolta models.:rolleyes:

I noticed the same thing too when i was shooting with the DA40, now that you mentioned it.
can see from the edges in this picture too - (right bottom corner)

But it doesn't show in all images, this one's pretty okay -

Of course, there's no cropping done with both pictures

That's true, for some scene it's quite hard to observe it.

But when I look at all the 36 frames I took w/DA40 carefully, I observe this issue for most of the scenes.

I didnt find this earlier, coz the scanner cropped the edge automatically before, now I crop them by myself, this issue is quite obvious. :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.