My recent works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just different composition and outfit...

6.jpg

This is perhaps a personal preference. I like this one the most in the smoke series.

I like the differentiation: smoke where there is smoke and no smoke there is no smoke and the smoke has definition. Clarity where there is clarity and smoky where it is smoky.

Very well controlled for a difficult shot.

... but constructive comments would be enough though...just saying the firing of the stylist wasn't needed at all... He nailed it, perhaps it wasn't my forte... Personally, I'll tend to take comments better if he's a good shooter... but what's unique is that I don't think he's much a photographer no matter how I look at it... It's like a food critique may not be a good chef himself...but plays the role of the critique so very well... which is the same reason why he would stick the nail so deeply in his comments... and here I am trying to explain whatever that he just may not understand... again, it's like you can't really put an engineer as a doctor and try explaining what really works...

So much the better... Something he said wasn't needed at all, but there's no control... Good or bad... Doesn't better... Just apply the subjective listening skills... Keep the good comments, throw the rest out like junk...
PBS,
I like your pictures as much as your writing.... It's pleasing to see a well mannered, good natured reply to a not so friendly criticism. Shows a person with depth which reflects in his photography. :)

Keep the pictures coming... :thumbsup:

This is perhaps a personal preference. I like this one the most in the smoke series.

I like the differentiation: smoke where there is smoke and no smoke there is no smoke and the smoke has definition. Clarity where there is clarity and smoky where it is smoky.

Very well controlled for a difficult shot.

Actually I think it's luck some good pictures happen sometimes... The smoke that is... I like this image too, but personally thought that she could have move more agressively in the shot... That's like a 'something' could have been better even till now that I've been working....

Cheers Sion and good on ya...

Still like your earlier series. Can't really get the image of you shooting "softer", less agressive images. Guess I'm too use to your high impact images or are you going soft lately :bsmilie: .

Anyway, the concept, though not new, is still an interesting concept. I like the styling and the make up though I was expecting more in the poses since this is shot by you :sweat: .
Lighting, make up and styling seem spot on for the concept but something seems missing from this series, the model don't seem to be projecting the feel/energy of the image. Not sure if you know what I mean but maybe the feel of the concept is not really there.

Having said that, it's never easy working with smoke, they don't listen to direction and come and goes as they please, much like shooting a small kid :bsmilie: This is where digital backs are really the life saver. :lovegrin:
Ced, remember the pol. testing days. Damn when the clients love how the smoke/water falls just right on the test pol. and the client want the same, we got to spend the next hour just trying to get it ;p.

Yeah, I think I do like explosive images better... Actually, I'm not trying to change a style la, just trying out newer shoots I always wanted to explore.... You'll still be seeing the newer change of style bro...:bsmilie: I really don't hope to be stuck with " this is what I shoot, take it or leave it"... After all, I'm no Lachapelle, Clang or Leslie Kee... So I can't really throw out these bold statements... Being versatile has always been something I wanted...

You were right.. I did expected more of this shoot... I expected the model to be more gentle looking, but she turned out stronger than what we wanted... We also expected more motions, but the smoke is getting into my way... I agree that the energy wasn't quite right if I really stare hard at the images... All the time, we're working with people, so kinda can't really expected everything to turned out our way, more like try to handle what's around me once I find the odds are staked not very much my way... Make the best out of everything....

Digital backs, yup, surely a life saver when things appear in an instant on the laptop.. Check smoke, check details and stuffs.... Part of the reason why it made the working photographer professional... because there won't be chances of secondary error like focusing, too much or too little smoke... Sometimes I do enjoy the digital backs... but it's not always superior... the weight of the medium format is one consideration, the mirror image, the speed in the entire process is something the SLR don't have... Give and take a bit la... I'm not saying digital backs are not good or SLR are better... just a matter of weighing out options... I've fully converted to 1DS already... No more digital backs by the way... The shoots are far more productive... I do take more risk in not being able to judge... but having a couple of years experience has taught me which are the risks I can take when I'm viewing through a tiny LCD.... My summary? Film still rocks....and it's very much living in me....

Yeah, I think I do like explosive images better... Actually, I'm not trying to change a style la, just trying out newer shoots I always wanted to explore.... You'll still be seeing the newer change of style bro...:bsmilie: I really don't hope to be stuck with " this is what I shoot, take it or leave it"... After all, I'm no Lachapelle, Clang or Leslie Kee... So I can't really throw out these bold statements... Being versatile has always been something I wanted...

You were right.. I did expected more of this shoot... I expected the model to be more gentle looking, but she turned out stronger than what we wanted... We also expected more motions, but the smoke is getting into my way... I agree that the energy wasn't quite right if I really stare hard at the images... All the time, we're working with people, so kinda can't really expected everything to turned out our way, more like try to handle what's around me once I find the odds are staked not very much my way... Make the best out of everything....

Digital backs, yup, surely a life saver when things appear in an instant on the laptop.. Check smoke, check details and stuffs.... Part of the reason why it made the working photographer professional... because there won't be chances of secondary error like focusing, too much or too little smoke... Sometimes I do enjoy the digital backs... but it's not always superior... the weight of the medium format is one consideration, the mirror image, the speed in the entire process is something the SLR don't have... Give and take a bit la... I'm not saying digital backs are not good or SLR are better... just a matter of weighing out options... I've fully converted to 1DS already... No more digital backs by the way... The shoots are far more productive... I do take more risk in not being able to judge... but having a couple of years experience has taught me which are the risks I can take when I'm viewing through a tiny LCD.... My summary? Film still rocks....and it's very much living in me....

Yeap, film still rocks, but I'll be damn if I don't shoot with digital for smoke/water shoots where the test shots may be the only right one.

Cheers Bro

Ever though of using your edgy lightings style for this smoke concept? Or you've already done that before?

The first pic OK . But the next pic are more better . VERY BEAUTIFUL AND ARTISTIC;p

Status
Not open for further replies.