My Japan Travel Snaps (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto)

wow...great pics..thanks for sharing..

I just went to Tokyo and Hakone in end Sep. great memories.

the ninja dog is awesome.

Glad that u and ur family enjoyed the trip!!

You also track down all the expenses and cost for your whole trip.
Ur pocket must burn a big hole....:sweat:

but anyway the most important is enjoy
the trip.

Good job!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Ur family must be pround of you!!!
Btw nice pixs too!!!
Haha. Gotta track the costs carefully. I'm sure you're aware that it's easy to overspend in Japan, especially Tokyo. In Osaka I got lured to step foot in a shop named Yodobashi (something) and was badly tempted by all the cam and cam gears I saw. :bsmilie: I wonder how much more had we gone to Akihabara when we were in Tokyo days before...

Thanks all. Glad you liked the pics. I've still got a lot more to post process... will share 'em up along with some info as soon as I get them out of the oven. :p

:Later,

Great shots! How old is your daughter?

I'd been to Japan twice and love that place - but think the logistics of travelling is a nightmare with kids as there are lots of staircases in the subway.

And lugging a camera and lens doesn't make it better.

Am impressed that you still can take these great shots whilst having a kid (and maybe an impatient wife) on this trip.

1. Osaka-jo, more popularly known as Osaka Castle
4218890333_28fac8e86d.jpg

21. One of the buildings in Osaka Castle grounds
4228301744_6dc9ae5889.jpg

Hi Pinoy,
I find a weird draw to these 2 pictures. They look like HDR (slight haloing), but yet not exaggerated. Mildly unnatural, but not enough to fault them. Do you mind sharing your workflow with these? I am guessing HDR with mild settings, or even no HDR, but digital blending (based on the halo). But what interest me is if you'd used any blending layers, and what are those. I do enjoy these 2 shots, though I noticed some other shots with similar process, these 2 worked for me.

I know some photographers prefer not to discuss these at length. I can appreciate it if you do not wish to discuss also.
Thanks for sharing this thread.
EM

Great shots! How old is your daughter?
11. We "rushed" this trip after realizing that once she turns 12 this month, everything will be full or adult fare. From airplane to train to buses to hotels. :bsmilie:

Wasn't actually expecting to spend much time doing my hobby but fortunately my wife and kid allowed me to spend some time on that. :D As for the stairs in certain subway stations... :mad2:.
Hi Pinoy,
I find a weird draw to these 2 pictures. They look like HDR (slight haloing), but yet not exaggerated. Mildly unnatural, but not enough to fault them. Do you mind sharing your workflow with these? I am guessing HDR with mild settings, or even no HDR, but digital blending (based on the halo). But what interest me is if you'd used any blending layers, and what are those. I do enjoy these 2 shots, though I noticed some other shots with similar process, these 2 worked for me.

I know some photographers prefer not to discuss these at length. I can appreciate it if you do not wish to discuss also.
Thanks for sharing this thread.
EM
I do not really have a specific workflow. You can say I just play around with my images and if it suits my taste, then that will be the end-product. For my HDR images (#1, #3, #16, #18, #21 and #23 as of this writing) I usually generate the .HDR file in Photoshop and then use Photomatix for Tone Mapping. I usually use "mild settings" coz I don't want them to look "unreal" (I guess I learned something from my Bali HDR post processing feedbacks). After tone mapping, I save the file as TIF and do additional post processing in Photoshop (usually involves Color Efx, specifically the Brilliance/Warmth, Ink and Tonal Contrast filters).

thanks for sharing. cheers.

Some snaps from Tokyo Disneyland:

27. Let the pianist serenade you with christmas songs
4247400677_4a305d0c4a.jpg

28. I stole one shot.
4247388891_51611b95f5.jpg

29. And another coz they're cute! (and I have a cam too)
4248165078_b190532ac3.jpg

30. She's playing on a well in Critter Country
4248166046_aae966f025.jpg

Great set of travel series u have here. Love most of ur HDR shots and those candid moments u captured. :thumbsup:

Code:
Originally Posted by jaychuah View Post

wow! this looks great! You followed a tour group or you travel on your own? May i know around how much is needed for such trip in Japan?

Like my other trips, this is DIY.

Just to give you an idea of the costs:
- N'EX + Suica: 3,500 Yen. Basically, 1 way train trip from Narita Airport to Tokyo via Narita Express and a Suica card (like EZLink) that comes pre-loaded with 1,500 Yen (and 500 Yen deposit).
- Multi-City ticket with Singapore Airlines: S$685 (Sin-Tokyo-Osaka-Sin). You can get cheaper tickets through other airlines.. but in our case, we wanted to try out the A380.
- 2 Days Disney Passport: 10,000 Yen
- Universal Studios Japan: 5,800 Yen (you'll have to fork out an additional 3,700 Yen for the Universal Express Pass)
- Tokyo-Osaka via Shinkansen: 10,000 Yen (Puratto Kodama Economy Plan)
- 2 Days Hakone Freepass: 5,000 Yen (you'll have to pay up 870 yen per way if you want to upgrade to the Romance Car)
- Hotel in Tokyo: 10,000 Yen per night (you can get something cheaper. I picked Rose Garden coz it's near Shinjuku and it accepts 2 adults and 1 child)
- Hotel in Osaka: 8,200 Yen per night (again, you can get something cheaper. I picked Villa Fontaine Shinsaibashi because of its convenient location, it accepts 2 Adults & 1 Child and it comes with complimentary breakfast)

Meals will cost you about 300+ yen for a bento set from a convenience store (7-11, Lawson's etc). Some ramen shops has offerings at this price point too.

Hope the above helps. Japan is such a nice place. Hope to get back there soon.

Thanks a lot for the info !! wow i didnt know the flight is so cheap from SG to japan
Multi-City ticket with Singapore Airlines: S$685 (Sin-Tokyo-Osaka-Sin)

Cheaper airline as in??? How much would that be?

Thanks!!!! I love your pics!!

Thanks a lot for the info !! wow i didnt know the flight is so cheap from SG to japan
Multi-City ticket with Singapore Airlines: S$685 (Sin-Tokyo-Osaka-Sin)

Cheaper airline as in??? How much would that be?

Thanks!!!! I love your pics!!
Cheapest I could find -- though not multi-city -- at the time I booked our tickets was S$399 all-inclusive and that was through a promo by Malaysia Airlines. The "downside" was that there's a 1~ and 3~ hours stop-over/transfer in KL to and from Tokyo/Osaka, respectively.

Other airlines like JAL and ANA were going for S$500~ all-in.

I love your photos! Very nice & how do you take them so sharp? Care to share?

Most of the shots were shot at the lens' sweet spot.. somewhere between f5.6 and f11. Post processing wise, Unsharp Mask was applied (50%).

31. Mediterranean Harbor building, in Tokyo DisneySea.
4252197673_3463c7b99a.jpg

32. Japanese Doll. She was such a cutie that I couldn't resist approaching her father for a shot. The father willingly obliged and encouraged her daughter to give me this warm pose.
4252066431_23522cb951.jpg

33. This one's from Imperial Palace Garden
4247605453_338e26f0b4.jpg

34. Kaminarimon. One of the large gates leading to Sensoji Temple.
4246244544_267ce1f692.jpg

35. Asahi Beer Tower. Hik!
4240490999_a36cd37df2.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Can I asked if the photos like #27 and #30 are done with the same post processing? Was it with the channel mixer?

Thanks for sharing. Can I asked if the photos like #27 and #30 are done with the same post processing? Was it with the channel mixer?
IIRC, I used Color Efx's INK filter (multiple passes) for that. Here's a link about the Ink filter.

Pinoy ask u the A380 got power source at the seat to charge devices? i thought i heard somewhere there are but just want to confirm. :)