Tokyo trip

Yes, I am back in one piece!

Kamakura is OK but Nikko is quite challenging and further away from Tokyo. I think you need 2 days for Nikko and best to find a place to stay there to really enjoy Nikko. Kind of rush if you need to travel to and fro for both days. For Subway, there is LED display in English to show which stations it is stopping but train it is strictly Japanese even with announcement.

Thank you again for the guide.

Hope you covered what you wanted for the trip :)

Yes, Nikko is a bit on the far side despite being about 2.5h away 'only'.
The last train being rather early (IIRC, its around 5pm) makes it more so.

Hi,

What lens do you guys use in Tokyo? i have a Canon 7D Mark II, will be travel around Tokyo and will be going to Kamakura too. thanks

Makinen85, I am a Nikon shooter and use Tokina 11-16 F2.8 as my main lens coupled with my D300. I also brought along my AFD 50mm F1.8 and AFS 70-300 VR. However, majority of my shots are just using the Tokina. If you got time, Nikko is a good choice. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Makinen85, I am a Nikon shooter and use Tokina 11-16 F2.8 as my main lens coupled with my D300. I also brought along my AFD 50mm F1.8 and AFS 70-300 VR. However, majority of my shots are just using the Tokina. If you got time, Nikko is a good choice. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. My tokina 11-20 can be a good lens to walk around already. As for nikko, my friend in japan says there are some renovation going on, so will skip that area and go to kamakura instead.

BTW Kamakura Great Buddha is also under renovation.

Hi,

What lens do you guys use in Tokyo? i have a Canon 7D Mark II, will be travel around Tokyo and will be going to Kamakura too. thanks

I've been twice, the past 2 yrs.
First trip was on Pentax K30 with DA15/4, FA*24/2, FA31/1.8 ltd, FA*85/1.4
Basically a FOV eq to 135 format of 21mm, 35mm, 45mm, 135mm.
A pano head allowed me to do wide views when wanted.

On the 2nd trip, I was using
A7, CV12/5.6, Pentax K24/2.8, Pentax K50/1.2; Pentax FA135/2.8
So in fact the FOV options largely stayed the same.

I had a Sigma DP1m as a backup for both trips.

So having a UWA, WA, normal FL would be safe bets.
A short tele can be useful for views that are very far (eg. mountains) or people shots for isolation, but often used less.
You have to judge your own style of shooting to decide if that's worth taking along.
For tighter spaces like cities, I tend to find that the UWA comes to good use.
But for large expanse of land like natural outdoors, the WA often gives better relation between the distant objects.