Must give way to buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, maybe should do something for drivers of S Class, 7 series, etc....
they are big, and they pay more road taxes, etc :think:
Compare dollar-to-dollar, cent-to-cent, everyone should give way to a Lambo or a McLaren (since it will cost an individual like 3mil to put it on the road).
Compare steel-to-steel, weight-for-weight, pound-for-pound, make way for the trailer truck unless u wanna have a taste of how a roti prata feels like when its being smacked and squashed.

I dun think anyone in their right mind would wanna play punk on the road unless one feels their average lifespan of 75yrs (male) to 80yrs (female) is too long and wanna shave off 50% or more outta it.

:bsmilie:

Still, I don't understand. Why would anyone try and play punk with a crushing steel of bus, 3-tonner, 4-tonner, van, lorry, trailer truck & monster SUV? :dunno:

I believe that there are rules to things and so does the road.
So I just follow the rules... and why should i worry about those drivers of those big vehicles?

I think they should allow cars with 4 people inside to drive in bus lanes....

Indeed this is the policy in other countries like Aus and US. They want to promote carpooling so if you have 3 people in the car, you can use the bus lane/car pool lane.

Give way to bus is forced in Aus. The bus is providing a public service and it makes sense
to give way to them - just imagine the #manhours wasted if they are stuck in traffic due
to other cars not giving way to the bus.

Having said all that, I always wonder if the cars are not filtering left/right all the time, will this actually improve the overall throughput of the road...

Compare dollar-to-dollar, cent-to-cent, everyone should give way to a Lambo or a McLaren (since it will cost an individual like 3mil to put it on the road).
Compare steel-to-steel, weight-for-weight, pound-for-pound, make way for the trailer truck unless u wanna have a taste of how a roti prata feels like when its being smacked and squashed.

Don't see how the $-to-$ makes sense in this topic.

Its the same as giving way/priority to elderly people.
If slow traffic like bus is not given this priority, then it may forever stuck at the bus stop.
The govt is trying to promote more people to use public transport so this is part of the package to make travelling on bus feasible to the public.

more traffic rulez!! :cheergal: :cheergal:

:bsmilie:

Just try driving a one of those things. While I haven't driven a bus or articulated truck, drivers have told me 'horror stories' about people trying 'to kill them selves' by trying to either force their way past, or more normally changing lanes into their stopping space. Commuter buses get it really bad 'cause they tend to run in heavy peak traffic and no motorist wants to 'get stuck behind a bus', so the bus sits there for ages, indicating to pull out while people speed up to 'get in front'.

I've recently been moving a 5m long boat around Sydney. It's amazing the number of people who either speed up and block me when I want to change lanes (and changing lanes is no small thing when your twice as long as usual and bend in the middle). I assume it's the same as the bus - it's 'I don't want to get stuck behind that thing, better speed up and get in front'. Meanwhile I risk missing a turn for being in the wrong lane. I've learned to be in the right traffic lane very very early. :)

The other scary thing is people disappear into the blind spot behind the trailer all the time, with the load (the boat) blocking the interior rear view mirror, the only way to see behind is the side mirrors. I'm thinking of getting one of those signs you see on trucks that say 'if you can't see my mirrors I can't see you' and hang it on the back. Not that I think it will help much.

I'm afraid most motorists tend to drive as if every other vehicle on the road handles like their own AND 'I have to always be in front'.

Last weekend, while towing the boat, I had some one speed up and come around my left side after I indicated I wanted to change into the left lane (They were way back when I decided to change lanes), they then sped past me and then changed lanes into the gap in front of me, the gap I'd left as with the extra weight, I can't stop as fast...

I think the basic problem is people think a Driving Licence is a right, not a privilege and regard the licensing system as just another government tax and not a skills management system.

Don't see how the $-to-$ makes sense in this topic.

Its the same as giving way/priority to elderly people.
If slow traffic like bus is not given this priority, then it may forever stuck at the bus stop.
The govt is trying to promote more people to use public transport so this is part of the package to make travelling on bus feasible to the public.
Well, the $-to-$ comes into play if people want to talk about 'how much road tax I pay'. :bsmilie: Which means that the whole world will have to kowtow (literally) to a Lambo or a McLaren since the amount of road tax these guys pay are obscene.

But I thought it should anyway be 'the natural order of cycle' when cars should anyway give way to extremely heavy vehicles first, followed by smaller vehicles like motorcycles (since they are more accident prone) leaving cars to the last.

Road tax should not be in this equation. If money can do the trick, in an accident, I'll go voluntarily top up my road tax and then say "I pay more road tax than you, so you should give way to me". HAHAHA

Road tax should not be in this equation. If money can do the trick, in an accident, I'll go voluntarily top up my road tax and then say "I pay more road tax than you, so you should give way to me". HAHAHA
That's my point. :D

But unfortunately, I had seen other postings in other forums where people feel like its a god-given right for buses to give way to them simply because, "I pay more road tax."

Those kind of WTF Posts really makes your day man~ :bsmilie:

Those are just the snobs lor, like those driving luxury/expensive cars and thinking we must give way to them

my stand in this is bus should be treated the same way. IF there is jam, then let every vehicle on the road be affected.

Sometimes as a driver, I feel very TL when I see no bus on the bus lane and I have to be in a jam just right besides it.

We all pay road tax, why should drivers of different vehicles be treated differently.

This is why I hate Singaporean drivers. Have to break it down in dollars and cents to determine your rights on the road. No wonder polite and courteous drivers are few and far between.

Is it really that hard to give way to a bus? Or even to other cars? So you get trapped behind 1 bus for a couple of minutes. Oh no, that's the end of the world! You're delayed by a couple of minutes, or maybe less than a minute!

And yes, I give way to buses.

I try to, I still do.. sometimes the bus driver doesn't see and take quite a while to notice, then the car behind horn at me..

Well, the $-to-$ comes into play if people want to talk about 'how much road tax I pay'. :bsmilie: Which means that the whole world will have to kowtow (literally) to a Lambo or a McLaren since the amount of road tax these guys pay are obscene.

But I thought it should anyway be 'the natural order of cycle' when cars should anyway give way to extremely heavy vehicles first, followed by smaller vehicles like motorcycles (since they are more accident prone) leaving cars to the last.

Agree with you.
Regarding motorcycles, I often feel the riders are more daredevils than mere users of the road. Amazed how confident they are zooming pass two cars at 90km/hr on the highway, cut in front of me just to 'teach me' to I am driving slow, overtake on the left when I am turning left.
But then, maybe just that I am too sensitive ;)

Those are just the snobs lor, like those driving luxury/expensive cars and thinking we must give way to them

In $-no-enuff#2 the guy sold his BMX750, suffered big losses
and he was on installment anyway :D
Big deal driving expensive cars and think they own the world!

OK it shows how 'generous' the owner is given the depreciation is so much more.
They should pay more road tax, income tax and property tax to help the
less privileged ones in the society, and double fine amount when they don't give way to bus ;)

my stand in this is bus should be treated the same way. IF there is jam, then let every vehicle on the road be affected.

Sometimes as a driver, I feel very TL when I see no bus on the bus lane and I have to be in a jam just right besides it.

We all pay road tax, why should drivers of different vehicles be treated differently.

You may also argue bus is a business so why they get this privilege when they make money.
But then, they are providing a service to the public.

Paying tax /= privilege.

I see no privilege whatsoever with income tax. Is there any?
I don't even get a thank you note from IRAS and they just silently cash my cheque! :bigeyes:

They just risk their own lives - but cause problems to others when they get killed.

I once saw a video of a biker squeezing between two trucks. The two trucks slowly moved together and you can see him squashed by both of them - recipe for disaster.

Agree with you.
Regarding motorcycles, I often feel the riders are more daredevils than mere users of the road. Amazed how confident they are zooming pass two cars at 90km/hr on the highway, cut in front of me just to 'teach me' to I am driving slow, overtake on the left when I am turning left.
But then, maybe just that I am too sensitive ;)

Last weekend, while towing the boat, I had some one speed up and come around my left side after I indicated I wanted to change into the left lane (They were way back when I decided to change lanes), they then sped past me and then changed lanes into the gap in front of me, the gap I'd left as with the extra weight, I can't stop as fast...

I always want to install an in-car videocam to video them and put video on youtube :)

There are websites for showing drivers who parks badly/selfishly, btw

Dec 12, 2008
Cars or buses - which move more people?
I REFER to Monday's letter by Mr Geoffrey Lim of the Land Transport Authority (LTA) on the benefits of bus lanes ('LTA takes care implementing bus lanes').
Mr Lim has pointed out in his numerous replies that a bus carries 80 passengers, while a car has 1.5 passengers. He used the same point in a reply to a letter last month questioning the benefits of having a bus lane along Upper Bukit Timah Road ('Special lane improves bus speeds', Nov 8).

I think we all know a bus carries more people than a car. But that does not necessarily mean buses can move more people, as Mr Lim suggested. They can, but it depends on bus frequency.

In his earlier reply, Mr Lim stated that '60 or so' buses an hour ply the 5km stretch of Upper Bukit Timah Road. This works out to 5,200 bus passengers per hour (assuming 65 buses with a full load of 80). According to my calculations, a single 5km lane can 'move' 6,389 cars an hour at the speed of 23kmh cited by Mr Lim (using an average car length of 4.5m and three body length spacing between the cars, which I believe is generous, given that the cars are moving at only 23 kmh).

At 1.5 passengers per car, this means 9,583 people per lane - 4,383 more people than by bus, or 84 per cent more. Even if we assume all 65 buses are double-deckers with an estimated full load of 120 people, the single 5km lane can 'move' 23 per cent more people by car than by bus. How then do bus lanes 'optimise overall usage of our scare road space', as LTA claims?

Mr Lim mentioned an improvement in bus speeds as one of the benefits of introducing bus lanes. An increase in bus speeds of 10 to 12 per cent is obviously nice for bus users, but without an increase in bus frequency, this has no impact at all on the number of people moved. And what about the impact of the bus lane on vehicles in the other lanes? Simple logic suggests the flow or speed of vehicles in the other lanes will suffer. Mr Lim merely states that this 'remains acceptable'.

In the case of Upper Bukit Timah Road, only '60 or so' buses use that 5km stretch of lane every hour, but road users in the other lanes have to contend with an average speed of 23 kmh, and the possibility of more ERP gantries if the speed becomes unacceptable according to LTA's definition.

How does this 'balance the needs of different groups of road users', as LTA suggests?

Jatin Doktor

Source http://www.straitstimes.com/print/ST+Forum/Story/STIStory_313315.html

According to my calculations, a single 5km lane can 'move' 6,389 cars an hour at the speed of 23kmh cited by Mr Lim (using an average car length of 4.5m and three body length spacing between the cars, which I believe is generous, given that the cars are moving at only 23 kmh).

At 1.5 passengers per car, this means 9,583 people per lane
[...]

Jatin Doktor

As any lower secondary school student should be able to work out, at a constant speed of 23 km/h, 4.5m car length, and 3 car lengths between cars, a single lane has a throughput of 1277.8 cars per hour.

Last edited:
If I am driving a tank, I sure won't give way to buses de.

Status
Not open for further replies.