Monopod with 70-200 VR + TC2E

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoyip

Mar 29, 2004
www.activemediastudio.com
Need some advice,

Will be going to zoo over weekend with my 70-200 VR and TC2E, its going to be pretty heavy on my shoulders, hope to get some advice as to wether is it worth getting monopod for the 70-200VR.

If yes, which monopod would u recomend for this setup?

Any advice appreciated

geoyip said:
Need some advice,

Will be going to zoo over weekend with my 70-200 VR and TC2E, its going to be pretty heavy on my shoulders, hope to get some advice as to wether is it worth getting monopod for the 70-200VR.

If yes, which monopod would u recomend for this setup?

Any advice appreciated

Have tried my 80-200/2.8 on my manfrotto (i think, it's not near me right now) monopod, it was pretty fun, but i was sitting down. A monopod should be ok, just remember you might need to turn off VR :)

geoyip said:
Will be going to zoo over weekend with my 70-200 VR and TC2E, its going to be pretty heavy on my shoulders....

Hmmm I think u mean the TC20EII?

geoyip said:
Opps, yup TC20E II, thanks for helping me to correct the error :)

At least a monopod, no need to deactivate VR for me tho coz that will still be some shake. Best to get a tripod if u can.

Hope this helps. :)

Tripod might be more stable but a bit hassle to setup in places like the zoo where there might be people crowding around. A monopod might be more convenient. :)

My personal setup, Gitzo 1564 Mk2 (alum) with Markins M10/Arca Swiss B1. The Gitzo monopod is sturdy and quite light, 0.89kg and extends to 1.61m, and the price is <$200 if I don't remember wrongly.

There is a taller version, 1564L which extends all the way to 2m.

Tend to agree with AJ, got the slik monopod from CP recently for my Birdpark shot. Am very please with a monopod setup. The only regret is that did not used it for the first few shots (hand held the sigma 70-200 HSM) got some OOF shots. :cry:

The slik monopod is around $80+ and comes with a cheapo ball head. I think is good for starters like myself.

Hi ALL,

Thanks for the advises, think i'll get a monopod.

I already have a manfrotto 055B with Giottos MH 1000 ball head, the max load for the ball head is 10KG, guess what, it can't hold the D70 with 70-200mm VR (max load = 3KG ??), when u tilt at an angle, the quick release will slip no matter how tight u turn the screw. Already got some series scratch marks on the quick release :(

Anyone with this setup having this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.