Monitor calibration problem - DELL Ultrasharp 1905FP user please come in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
I am a user of DELL Ultrasharp 1905FP and I use an i1 display (ver1) to calibrate this panel. After done many times through trying over all sorts of color temperature, I still have one problem which is quite puzzling to me. Let me brief here:

I am a window xp user. I only use two ICC aware software: Photoshop CS and PhaseOne Capture One. The image viewer I use was ACDsee which was recently replaced with a freeware called FastStone Viewer, none of them is ICC aware. After the calibration work has been done, I opened three files representing dominant red, green, and blue, respectively, in Photoshop and ACDsee. Here are the results:

red
comparison_red.jpg

green
comparison_green.jpg

blue
comparison_blue.jpg

As you can see, the red sample has shown a very different tone between Photoshop and ACDsee, while the other two (blue and green) are quite similar.

My question is: why is there such a difference in red? Can anyone enlighten me please? I assume the RGB color in ACDsee is what most web surfers see from my web gallery, however, in Photoshop I see a very different red... :sweat: Color fidelity is becoming more and more crucial to my workflow. Really hope to have a better understanding on color management. Thanks for any input :)

nothing to do with calibration... you just need ICC aware browser, try Photo Mechanic or iView Media Pro, they exist on PC and are ICC aware

Took me quite long to figure this out as well. You want to try something?

In CS, convert your image to use your monitor profile (the one that was the result of i1 calibration) instead of aRGB or sRGB. Then save the image but uncheck the ICC Profile box.

If I'm not wrong, you should be able to see the same colour across all applications.

I used to have this problem where C1 and CS are matched in colour and saturation, but everything else (eg IE, Firefox, Irfanview, Fax viewer etc) are out.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for both replies. Actually my question was: why only red channel has such major difference, not the other two (BG), between ICC aware and non-aware applications?

tomshen said:
Thanks for both replies. Actually my question was: why only red channel has such major difference, not the other two (BG), between ICC aware and non-aware applications?

your uncalibrated 1905FP has more significant red deviation than the other colours which needs to be calibrated...

You didn't say what colour space your images were shot in. Were you using Adobe colour space?

oeyvind said:
nothing to do with calibration... you just need ICC aware browser, try Photo Mechanic or iView Media Pro, they exist on PC and are ICC aware

yup i second oeyvind's opinion, it's to do with the programs, C1 pro,safari, iview media pro, ps cs 2 all display the same colours. Firefox which is not ICC aware displays a different color however.

tomshen said:
I am a user of DELL Ultrasharp 1905FP and I use an i1 display (ver1) to calibrate this panel. After done many times through trying over all sorts of color temperature, I still have one problem which is quite puzzling to me. Let me brief here:

I am a window xp user. I only use two ICC aware software: Photoshop CS and PhaseOne Capture One. The image viewer I use was ACDsee which was recently replaced with a freeware called FastStone Viewer, none of them is ICC aware. After the calibration work has been done, I opened three files representing dominant red, green, and blue, respectively, in Photoshop and ACDsee. Here are the results:

As you can see, the red sample has shown a very different tone between Photoshop and ACDsee, while the other two (blue and green) are quite similar.

My question is: why is there such a difference in red? Can anyone enlighten me please? I assume the RGB color in ACDsee is what most web surfers see from my web gallery, however, in Photoshop I see a very different red... :sweat: Color fidelity is becoming more and more crucial to my workflow. Really hope to have a better understanding on color management. Thanks for any input :)

First off before you go any further make sure you have removed the Adobe Gamma link from your programs/startup group to make sure you aren't re-adjusting your calibrated ICC profile.

Have you updated your Eye One Match software to the current version?

Are you allowing your monitor to warm up for at least half an hour?

Thank all for your contribution. A bit more details here: I shot in sRGB (first sample) or RAW (the rest two, and converted to jpeg in sRGB color space). My LCD has been calibrated in D50 (5000k). No Adobe Gamma was in use. I have double checked the present montior profile is the one I just calibrated. I am now using the lastest v3.2a for i1 Display (version 1). I have waited my monitor to warm up about 1 hour.

The above samples are the screen shot with both PS and ACDsee open the same file. I only see a significant difference in RED color. can any one try the following file in your (calibrated) monitor in a windows OS and tell me if you also see the same major difference?

here is the image link: http://www.tomshenstudio.com/others/882G1914_small.jpg

Oeyvind has supplied the correct answer. Non-color aware applications simply do a raw translation of RGB values. There is no uniformity nor standardization across different platforms for non-color aware apps.

Ya of course i know this fact, but seems no one has answered "why only red channel has the significant color shift". Is this a particular case in DELL 1905FP or same to other monitors?

tomshen said:
Ya of course i know this fact, but seems no one has answered "why only red channel has the significant color shift". Is this a particular case in DELL 1905FP or same to other monitors?
The degree of deviation varies slightly from moniter to moniter depending on its gamut. Given a vastly different moniter gamut the shift may be another color. From my moniter yes, its the reds are shifted, but to a lesser degree than your faststone screen capture.

That fact is that viewing of images on non-colormanged programs will result in no quality assurance standard. This is normal and to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.