Monique by Jonathan

iamstifller

Sep 1, 2013
Singapore
Hi fellas

I'm fairly new to portraiture and still fumbling around with flash. Any feedback or critiques you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

Monique by Jonathan

Monique by Jonathan

i am sorry but i just kept getting drawn to the hairs on her arms! Other than that i like the colours and contrast..

maybe the u can crop away the black area for the first picture, kind of distracting.

can stamp away that white flash spot on her nose on the 2nd picture.

I'm wondering if you set up the lighting yourself?

Your subject needs more water and needs to sleep more. under-eye shadows pretty pronounced

@baatanha & @shizuma, thanks a lot for taking the time to critique. This was a group shoot, so there was nothing I could really do about her eyebags or hairy arms :)

i am sorry but i just kept getting drawn to the hairs on her arms! Other than that i like the colours and contrast..

maybe the u can crop away the black area for the first picture, kind of distracting.

can stamp away that white flash spot on her nose on the 2nd picture.

The black bar on the left was a choice between having it in the frame or cropping her arms. I picked the lesser evil, but I suppose it could have been avoided if I framed it properly in the first place. Note to self.

Duly noted on the hotspot on the nose, thanks for pointing that out. I'm not really good at tiny details :(

I'm wondering if you set up the lighting yourself?

Your subject needs more water and needs to sleep more. under-eye shadows pretty pronounced

I had a flash slightly to camera right, in addition to the center reflector set up by our organizer. If it's not too much trouble, can I ask how you would improve on the direction/quality of the light?

Point the reflector to illuminate her body and let her face be lit by your key (Oct softbox? ) .

Subject has unusual catch light due to reflected source (gold round reflector )

Have subject step closer to light source and further from background, to soften the hard awkward shadows beneath subject left arm. Right arm shadow significantly softer because of distance

Ok, I think I understand. Thanks @shizuma, much appreciated.

Point the reflector to illuminate her body and let her face be lit by your key (Oct softbox? ) .

Subject has unusual catch light due to reflected source (gold round reflector )

Have subject step closer to light source and further from background, to soften the hard awkward shadows beneath subject left arm. Right arm shadow significantly softer because of distance

Reactions: Shizuma
You're meow-come but don't take what I say as gospel truth. I'm just a cat

Heya.

Nice model. I like the expression and the look in the first photo. But the shadows on the right side of the jawline is kinda uneven along the face look a little disproportionate. Just my personal take.

Light is a little harsh and contrasty. Care to share the light setup?

Regards
Norman.

Hey Norman, thanks for stopping by. Our host/organizer had a reflector set up in front which I tried to use as fill, then I set up a CTOd flash on a shoot through umbrella off camera right.

I'm aware that high contrast is not the "in" thing nowadays and went out of style like maybe 3 years ago, but I still prefer it over clean & light contrast shots. Dunno man, I guess I like the drama high contrast evokes.

On a diff note, great street shots on your Flickr :)

Heya.

Nice model. I like the expression and the look in the first photo. But the shadows on the right side of the jawline is kinda uneven along the face look a little disproportionate. Just my personal take.

Light is a little harsh and contrasty. Care to share the light setup?

Regards
Norman.

It will be good to shoot nearer to the center of the backdrop. The edges are showing and they intersect the model at the elbows.

Hey Norman, thanks for stopping by. Our host/organizer had a reflector set up in front which I tried to use as fill, then I set up a CTOd flash on a shoot through umbrella off camera right.

I'm aware that high contrast is not the "in" thing nowadays and went out of style like maybe 3 years ago, but I still prefer it over clean & light contrast shots. Dunno man, I guess I like the drama high contrast evokes.

On a diff note, great street shots on your Flickr :)

Thanks for sharing!

I love your photos,.....