Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, normally it's wiser to steer clear of this kind of hot thread. but aiyah, got drawn in by the smell of satay being grilled... mmmmmmmmmmm...

a) let's say we generalise and say men are generally more willing than women to dive into the technical aspects of photography. does it necessarily make them better photographers? it might, but it could also make them better equipment wankers, better forum talkkokkers, better camera shop customers :devil:

you only become a good photographer because you want to take really good pictures. photography isn't that complicated. if someone wants it badly enough, they'll learn about f-stops and whatever. most women may not be gearheads, but they're not stupid.

b) i think it's a bit unfortunate to say women make better subjects because they look prettier/curvier and they like the attention. there are lots and lots of examples of interesting male subjects in the history of art and photography, from david's michaelangelo to hcb's taxi drivers etc. i don't think the case has been proven at all that women make better subjects.

and just because there are a lot of men (on forums, or in business or whatever) who like looking at women doesn't make women better subjects.

c) what makes a good photographer? when we talk about "the eye", aren't we talking about human sensitivity (to form, aesthetics, relationships, other human beings)?

what makes a good photographic subject? does it have to be beautiful (curvy, sexy, pretty, frilly)? isn't it also interesting to see other sorts of angles, shapes, textures, expressions, moods?

don't male and female human beings have an equal chance at being either, or both?

haha, normally it's wiser to steer clear of this kind of hot thread. but aiyah, got drawn in by the smell of satay being grilled... mmmmmmmmmmm...

.....:sweat: :sticktong let you smell more:bsmilie:

go find the internet and produce a list of good photographers. or just search wiki for "list of famous photographers".

count the number of males.
count the number of females.

.....:sweat: :sticktong let you smell more:bsmilie:

go find the internet and produce a list of good photographers. or just search wiki for "list of famous photographers".

aiyoh, what does that prove? most of the world has had patriarchal societies and many industries have been male dominated for a long time. doesn't mean women are naturally worse at it right?

you go and google for famous cooks lor. more male means men are better at cooking meh?

aiyoh, what does that prove? most of the world has had patriarchal societies and many industries have been male dominated for a long time. doesn't mean women are naturally worse at it right?

you go and google for famous cooks lor. more male means men are better at cooking meh?

well, actually it is indeed true that women had been worse off in the past. but it is indeed nice to see the cultural change of more women getting treated equally. and about the part of more men cooks......well, the list doesn't really show male photographers, it shows good male photograpers.

but overall, if "men are better photographers" is an absolute statement, i definitly disagree iwht it totally as this statment arises from the unfair judgment from a larger size of male photographers to a small size of female photographers, creating the misconception that males make better photographers.

about "female makes better subject"............like what you said, the natural tendency of men is to like females right? so....abit odd if i say men make better subjects. makes me sound homosexual.:bigeyes:

it all boils down to relativity i think.

heh, looks like only us two jokers up at this time. ok lah, don't take it personal, my first post was actually responding to the thread in general, not picking a fight with you. grill satay thing was a joke.

but since we seem to be having a bit of a conversation here, let me just reply to you before i got to bed :)

my point with the cooks was that just cos there are more men who are famous for something doesn't mean that males are better at it. there are other cultural factors at work.

i'm glad that you too feel that it isn't true to say that men make better photogs.

to OT a bit, not all men naturally like women. after all, some research does suggest that homosexuality might be genetic. :devil: ok, can of worms there. hehe, why you so scared of sounding homosexual? gays not human beings meh?

anyway, we're talking about men and women as photographic subjects, not sex objects. as far as my personal life goes, i'm interested in women, but as far as photographic interest goes, i find both women and men to be interesting subjects. sounds fine right?

relativity? the threadstarter's statement seemed fairly absolute to me...

I am definitely not a sexist for having made the following statement. The person I respect most is a woman.

But I generally feel that a man is a better photographer and woman always makes a better subject than man.

It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.

Why do you say?

:think:

lolz I wonder how on earth you come to that conclusion! :sweatsm:
How do you define a better subject? Please think carefully before you answer.

Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

for individual cases, i personally dont think so, but in overall general i think it is..

if there's ratio.. i think women is at least 5 to 1 more photographed then men..

Are "MEN" more visual den women? i don't think so. Are men better photographers? I don't agree..look at how much crap we produce..(myself included)
Men who tend to fall in love through looks only mean they are shallow

Does women crave for attention, i don't agree.
Women like to be in front of the camera. Thats a BOLD & Dangerous statement.
Women are in front of our camera cos we either ask them or pay them (and they agree). Models are in front of the camera cos its part of an assignment. Your female friends are in front of the camera cos they trust ur skills to produces good pics of them (note, they are interested in the picture, instead of being in front of the camera) Your other half becomes ur subject cos they want to spend time with u and indulge in ur interests together even they don't understand the nuts and bolts of photography.

Who said one needs a SLR to take pics? If not why would one need the strength to carry one?

Who said curves makes a picture more interesting? If so, does it mean u view women as a visual object?

Having made such a statement n u claim innocent?

one word.... SEXIST... period (i hope this thread get locks up, as it does not show respect to our female members...so what if u are a "MEN"..doesn't mean anything at all)

PS: No wonder women always say that men do not listen or they do not understand.. If u are interested to know..i'm a guy too.. abit a less shallow one!

how "deep" are you when it's you claiming urself to be "less shallow"? :dunno:

i agree with the TS, he was speaking generally, and i am referring to generally. i think i am a better photographer than many females, and many females prefer to be infront of my camera than the other way around. of course that doesn't go for ALL females, but so far so true.

and i am disturbed that you find pple who think this way "shallow". i will continue to try and make beautiful images of the female form because i do think they are the more beautiful gender, and yes, in that sense they are treated as visual objects, where photos of them are concerned. but of course, that does not mean they will ONLY ever be visual objects to me. nothing sexist or degrading to them seriously....

as for weight and technicalities, again, the generalisation points to the fact the females would rather not carry all that weight and learn all the technical parts of photography. again it does not mean that ALL female think that way.

?

to original poster. this is the stupidest and weakest argument i've ever seen made in clubsnap.....even dumber than that pedestrian and cyclists one. good job.

what kind of maniacal conclusion is this and by what infallible research have you based this premise upon, apart from that singular ocassion and experience with your girlfriend? everyone has their own desires, and sure, as gendered as society and its roles are, it does not afford an assignment of talents according to gender. we all have desires. we all want to capture moments. and a man will see a scene differently from a woman sometimes, but who is to say that that the male perspective is automatically better? what? you need more muscles and triceps to fit that ultra zoom lens is it? only men understand zone system ah?

what the flying saucer hell is this idea of better photographer anyway? we are all equal. including that kid who uses auto mode on his nikon d50 and shoots only boobs. our pieces speak for themselves, each and every one a statement on their own. one great photograph does not make a good photographer. and a good photographer will not always produce the greatest photos. so why judge a photographer by his or her gender????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!! judge a photograph for itself!!!

so this is where the problem is, what is the scope of the "photographers" we are saying here? Are we talking about those whom are already photographers, or are we refering to those who have the potential to be a good photographer?

If we take the first meaning, then i say more(not all) men are better photographers, reason being that there IS already more men photographers, both good and bad.

If we take the second, then i can't say anything, because i can't judge someone if they did not show what they can do. It becomes all speculation.

But with the advancement of technology, everybody can be a photographer with their handphone at hand, so.......aiyah, so confusing. maybe we should stick to the 2nd part of the statment, about females being subjects.

btw. i deleted the first post as it wan't clear enuf. pressed the post button too harshly. sry

My question remains "What makes for a good photograph?" I am talking about the "photograph" - the image - the picture.

Oh, this answer to pai explains it all.

I mean, your intellect.

I am definitely not a sexist for having made the following statement. The person I respect most is a woman.

But I generally feel that a man is a better photographer and woman always makes a better subject than man.

I personally think that men are very visual creature (tend to fall in love through looks), that's why like to make nice photograph. Women are more passionate, crave for attention, that's why like to be in front of the camera.

It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.

You are nothing more, nothing less, but a SEXIST. The more you talk, the more it reveals, you are definately a SEXIST.

I personally think that men are very visual creature (tend to fall in love through looks), that's why like to make nice photograph. Women are more passionate, crave for attention, that's why like to be in front of the camera.

Why do you say?

move along, there is nothing to see here on this thread.

You are nothing more, nothing less, but a SEXIST. The more you talk, the more it reveals, you are definately a SEXIST.

To the TS.

No, I do not believe you are a sexist.

Just faulty reasonings.

Why do you say?

i would rather say that most photographers are man who like to photgraph women. or most man got into photography after seeing magazines like FHM, loaded...etc...:bsmilie: got the point?

most man would like to go for biniki shoots in the name of art.

on saturdays i play sports and one of the guys got so excited about a model shoot he join just for fun that when told us about it, many of my other fello sports khakis all get excited abt getting a camera to join!n and we had so much fun looking at the pretty girls he took photos of.

of cos....the 80/20 rule.....there are 20% of these ppl who are really into photography than bikini

To the TS.

No, I do not believe you are a sexist.

Just faulty reasonings.
Sorry, you are not a SEXIST, but you just don't have a brain. Well, I didn't say that. However the doc thinks you do not have a brain for reasoning.

Well, I still think you have a brain, but you are just a sexist.

Good morning all, happy debate for such topic.........early in the morning and this thread make my day.

I think i miss something last nite. Need to find a doc to cure me........:cry:

Hello Deadpoet:

Your response is the sexiest so far. :bsmilie:

Sorry, you are not a SEXIST, but you just don't have a brain. Well, I didn't say that. However the doc thinks you do not have a brain for reasoning.

Well, I still think you have a brain, but you are just a sexist.

To Student:

Please do not response to this post. This post did not disturb me at all. We all know what he is up to, this one is a bear trap, steer clear.

Let's stick to the topic: Women are better subjects. They are more beautiful and lovely.

Reasons for posting this topic:

1) To understand our female counterpart better.
2) To gauge how far our nation has progressed when comes to this gender issues.

To me, those who readily jump in to defend the weaker sex are in fact the more sexist.
Advocate for Equal opportunities, Yes! Advocate for Equal Rights, Yes!
Advocate for Man and Woman is equal, No!

Do we really understand women? Do we truly know how to appreciate the opposite sex?
I do not think so, if we cannot come to the term that Man and Woman are engineered differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.