Men are better Photographer and Women better subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am definitely not a sexist for having made the following statement. The person I respect most is a woman.

But I generally feel that a man is a better photographer and woman always makes a better subject than man.

I personally think that men are very visual creature (tend to fall in love through looks), that's why like to make nice photograph. Women are more passionate, crave for attention, that's why like to be in front of the camera.

It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.

Why do you say?

:think:

I disagree partially with this statement. However, generally, some men find women more pleasing to look at (compare to their male counterparts). Not all men are visual and some woman are more visual. I find both men and women beautiful in different aspect, hence "better" subjects differ depending on what you want to achieve (male can make very good subjects too). As for better photographers, i feel both has unique strong points - in nature or nuture. There is no such "better" photographer when it comes to gender.

I am definitely not a sexist for having made the following statement. The person I respect most is a woman.

But I generally feel that a man is a better photographer and woman always makes a better subject than man.

I personally think that men are very visual creature (tend to fall in love through looks), that's why like to make nice photograph. Women are more passionate, crave for attention, that's why like to be in front of the camera.

It could also due to our build. Men have stronger arms to carry a SLR, while women have more and better curves to make interesting pictures.

Why do you say?

:think:
You have tunnel vision.

Don't just looking at model shoots, and pose and portraits subforum, you will have a better view.

There is a world outside.

There are fa

Hey guys, I dunno but are we like distorting the TS's statement. Dun think he is saying "ALL good photographers are men and ALL good subjects are women". Rather, he is trying to do a comparison whether each gender has their own strong points. I think that some arguements here like talking about some good female photographers and good male subjects(models i presume) are sort of out of point. It is like saying "I know some caucasians that speak good chinese", but it doesn't mean that this will void the statment "Chinese people speak better chinese". So rather than spotting single minute cases which will not prove a whole population, we should use general infomation and make specific arguements from them.

And so, regarding women being better subjects, I think that is true, because humans percieve them to be. No matter how hard we try to remove this discriminating nature in human through propaganda or intergration, this historical culture of treating women as "objects" is still eerily haunting many humans' subconcious minds. Try to do a search on "women as objects", there are quite alot of debate going on in the internet. However, no matter what the results of the debate are, the very fact that this debate exist already proves something dissapointing about how man view women as. However, i believe this is something that will burn off with time and dissappear.

And about men being better photographer, well........... i tell you, i try so hard to get my sisters into photography but they just aren't interested. So it might not be so much of whether men are better, but whether MOST women are interested anot. Is like asking whether men make better childcare teachers-they might be, but most of them aren't interested. And those females in CS right now, hee hee, you are those lucky ones that understand the beauty and enjoyment of photography.;)

Hello Satay:

You are one smart guy, you can read my mind before I speak.
One of surest way to protect the Rights and dignity of a woman, is to openly discuss and debate on this issue of inequality. I hope we all have a receptive mind when debating this topic. No one has to agree with anyone, just make your statement and let others have an insightful reading.

To the rest, please direct the arrows to me. I am the one who made the statement.

To me, those who readily jump in to defend the weaker sex are in fact the more sexist.
Advocate for Equal opportunities, Yes! Advocate for Equal Rights, Yes!
Advocate for Man and Woman is equal, No!

Do we really understand women? Do we truly know how to appreciate the opposite sex?
I do not think so, if we cannot come to the term that Man and Woman are engineered differently.

hi, i see what you're getting at, but i still feel we need to look closer at this.

equal doesn't have to mean identical. just because men and women are different doesn't mean that there can't be equality.

there are lots of difference between men and women, but which of these are innate to men and women, and which of these have been programmed into us by the society and norms we're immersed in? as long as we don't examine these differences and think about why they're there, instead of just taking them for granted, we will perpetuate the sort of lazy thinking that keeps stereotypes in place.

yes, there's something sexist about seeing women as the WEAKER sex, and wanting to jump in to defend them. but some of us who have "jumped in" here aren't defending women, we're just pointing out issues with the premise put forth. the only weak things here are some of the arguments being used. :)

Whoever started this thread obviously doesn't know much about photography and the important photographers in the world. (which include alot of women.)

And I have seen many more women who shoot much better than men.

Against my better judgement, I shall partake in this thread ...

well, nothing surprising here :)

My addition $0.02.

I really don't care if a man or a woman is the better photographer. The better photographer is the one that creates the better image, whatever that may be.

!!! all the way to Sendai for satay sushi train??? hey, you think everyone's a high monk like you who fly from mountain to mountain so effortlessly? :sticktong

If priest can fly, priest takes bullet train.

All those who study Japanese know such ancient wisdom. :bsmilie:

how "deep" are you when it's you claiming urself to be "less shallow"? :dunno:

i agree with the TS, he was speaking generally, and i am referring to generally. i think i am a better photographer than many females, and many females prefer to be infront of my camera than the other way around. of course that doesn't go for ALL females, but so far so true.

and i am disturbed that you find pple who think this way "shallow". i will continue to try and make beautiful images of the female form because i do think they are the more beautiful gender, and yes, in that sense they are treated as visual objects, where photos of them are concerned. but of course, that does not mean they will ONLY ever be visual objects to me. nothing sexist or degrading to them seriously....

as for weight and technicalities, again, the generalisation points to the fact the females would rather not carry all that weight and learn all the technical parts of photography. again it does not mean that ALL female think that way.

firstly, i never claimed myself as deep, its ur perception tat i did.. i said less shallow...read!! if less shallow=deep, would less stupid=smart?

i never doubted ur photography abilities and if such makes u better then many females..good for u.. for that many females who prefers to be in front of the camera without the reasons i mentioned.. perhaps i'm a frog in the well..

i apologise tat my statement disturbed u.. by i stand by my point that men who fall in love through looks are shallow, like u, its jus my perception..try telling a girl tat u like her cos she's beautiful... and as she age, does it mean ur love fades away? anyway, never intended to put u off producing the images u are capable of...

Well, like wat u say... making a statement based on generalisation w/o anything to backup is dangerous dont u think... so can i generalise and claim that ppl of clubsnap know nuts abt the art (myself included) by the postings i see here ( no punt intended ppl, jus an analogy).

Anyway, jus questioning the threadstarter here..if u don't mind..

firstly, i never claimed myself as deep, its ur perception tat i did.. i said less shallow...read!! if less shallow=deep, would less stupid=smart?

i never doubted ur photography abilities and if such makes u better then many females..good for u.. for that many females who prefers to be in front of the camera without the reasons i mentioned.. perhaps i'm a frog in the well..

i apologise tat my statement disturbed u.. by i stand by my point that men who fall in love through looks are shallow, like u, its jus my perception..try telling a girl tat u like her cos she's beautiful... and as she age, does it mean ur love fades away? anyway, never intended to put u off producing the images u are capable of...

Well, like wat u say... making a statement based on generalisation w/o anything to backup is dangerous dont u think... so can i generalise and claim that ppl of clubsnap know nuts abt the art (myself included) by the postings i see here ( no punt intended ppl, jus an analogy).

Anyway, jus questioning the threadstarter here..if u don't mind..
no worries u guys can grill him all u want... poor guy.

wat is wrong with telling / thinking that a woman is (physically) beautiful? why is that shallow? i NEVER said anything about LIKING or LOVING them. i am PHOTOPGRAPHING them. HELLO???

these aren't assumptions already. u're putting words where they dun belong and contorting them to make ur statement.

Are "MEN" more visual den women? i don't think so. Are men better photographers? I don't agree..look at how much crap we produce..(myself included)
Men who tend to fall in love through looks only mean they are shallow

Does women crave for attention, i don't agree.
Women like to be in front of the camera. Thats a BOLD & Dangerous statement.
Women are in front of our camera cos we either ask them or pay them (and they agree). Models are in front of the camera cos its part of an assignment. Your female friends are in front of the camera cos they trust ur skills to produces good pics of them (note, they are interested in the picture, instead of being in front of the camera) Your other half becomes ur subject cos they want to spend time with u and indulge in ur interests together even they don't understand the nuts and bolts of photography.

... ... ...

Who said curves makes a picture more interesting? If so, does it mean u view women as a visual object?

one word.... SEXIST... period (i hope this thread get locks up, as it does not show respect to our female members...so what if u are a "MEN"..doesn't mean anything at all)

PS: No wonder women always say that men do not listen or they do not understand.. If u are interested to know..i'm a guy too.. abit a less shallow one!

Woman here, and gotta admit you understand women well. ha. :thumbsup: Less shallow than some guys indeed.

And now I'm more awake, I decided to delete my contribution.

Hello Wisp:

Haha, I read your post before you deleted it. It is ok, my friend. You've got a point to make, then make it big. It is good that we all communicate our feelings here, let people understand and see things from another perspective.

Why, got caught in between the fences, not sure which side to fall on? Haha.

?

to original poster. this is the stupidest and weakest argument i've ever seen made in clubsnap.....even dumber than that pedestrian and cyclists one. good job.

what the flying saucer hell is this idea of better photographer anyway? we are all equal.

Yes, I consider it a good job, because this stupidest and weakest argument can still draw comments from a highly intellect like you.

Are you sure, we are all equal? In what sense?

wah seh, so smoky in here, since when the thread become debate on male-female equality? :confused:

1. man and woman are never equal, because man is not woman and woman is not man. (this is OT)

2. there is no such thing as a man being a better photographer than a woman.

3. there is no such thing as a woman being a better subject for photography than man.

If priest can fly, priest takes bullet train.

All those who study Japanese know such ancient wisdom. :bsmilie:

paiseh, airplane is faster than bullet train and airplane ticket is cheaper than bullet train ticket :angel: :bsmilie:

Of course men are better photographers.

Why?

'Cos Ken Rockwell is a man!!

:bsmilie:

But wait....my fav photog is Jodi Cobb, and she's a woman!

so....women are better photographers than men!!!

Of course men are better photographers.

Why?

'Cos Ken Rockwell is a man!!

:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Ken Rockwell is a photographer?:bigeyes: :dunno:

:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Ken Rockwell is a photographer?:bigeyes: :dunno:

he is more than that....he is the guru of photography.

:thumbsup:

But wait....my fav photog is Jodi Cobb, and she's a woman!

so....women are better photographers than men!!!

Ahhh....

My current favorite photographer is Sarah Moon.

But wait........ I think tomorrow it will be Anton Corbjin.

Status
Not open for further replies.