Matsuri dance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary and conclusion first: you nailed this one!

No 1.
> i think the background worked out perfect, there is no need for intensive PS as discussed
> i love her pose and expression, its dream like, totally absorbed in what she is doing, captured exactly at the right moment.
> that she is jumping in the wrong direction (light wise) does not bother me too much, sure more light on her face and her right leg would have improved the photo, but the step is from excellent to perfect.... perfect shots are rare....
> my only problem with the shot is the crop. She seems to be stuck to the top of the frame and i cannot help but getting the feeling that she wants to go higher but is restrained by the frame. I feel that urge to break it open and let her fly free. My recommendation: Either cut the bottom or give more to the left and top.

No. 2
to me the perfect shot, i dont know what you can improve on that one!
her posture and facial expression tells me of a very confident woman, she is there, she knows what she does. And there is this wonderful hair, hinting the motion, together with her arms creating a very soft emotion, very feminine... It's this contra-position of strength and confidence in her facial expression paired with straight and stiff body against the soft and feminine side of the arms movement and flow of hair that makes the shot and tells the story.

mic,
thanks very much for the extremely constructive comments.

for pic #1,
if i were to crop the bottom, it doesnt give the sense of feeling she's flying.maybe you are right.i should at least crop a little.
i agree on the 'wrong direction' of the strobes but i was soooooooooooo mesmerized by the dance with the surround sound from Kitaro's drums i nearly forgot i'm there to SHOOT!, not to mention move the lights to the left.:bsmilie:

#2,
someone mentioned background could be darker.and i reckon that's easily photoshoppable.
but i really would like to move towards less PS, so i can really depend on lightroom to process my pics though it's almost entire impossible.(at least, to me).
i will surely convey the compliments to my friend.
actually she's a super shy gal.but when she dance....i'm speechless.

how does the color looks?ok?i'm still using the god damn color shifted 27inch dell monitor:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: .

mic,
thanks very much for the extremely constructive comments.

for pic #1,
if i were to crop the bottom, it doesnt give the sense of feeling she's flying.maybe you are right.i should at least crop a little.
i agree on the 'wrong direction' of the strobes but i was soooooooooooo mesmerized by the dance with the surround sound from Kitaro's drums i nearly forgot i'm there to SHOOT!, not to mention move the lights to the left.:bsmilie:

#2,
someone mentioned background could be darker.and i reckon that's easily photoshoppable.
but i really would like to move towards less PS, so i can really depend on lightroom to process my pics though it's almost entire impossible.(at least, to me).
i will surely convey the compliments to my friend.
actually she's a super shy gal.but when she dance....i'm speechless.

how does the color looks?ok?i'm still using the god damn color shifted 27inch dell monitor:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: .

Hi Jeanie.....

for a home studio i think this is quite a good attempt.

and yes, i agree with silverwolf that the backdrop could be darker..
and if u wanna depend less on photoshop, i think its vital to meter the lights to get your ratio correctly.

IMHO, i think the execution is good, but the lighting contrast is too flat, too "even" (this is my personal opinion...)...

see if u could try without the softbox and create that atmosphere/edginess..

but yeah, no doubt a good attempt!

cheers

PL ....

Hi Jeanie.....

for a home studio i think this is quite a good attempt.

and yes, i agree with silverwolf that the backdrop could be darker..
and if u wanna depend less on photoshop, i think its vital to meter the lights to get your ratio correctly.

IMHO, i think the execution is good, but the lighting contrast is too flat, too "even" (this is my personal opinion...)...

see if u could try without the softbox and create that atmosphere/edginess..

but yeah, no doubt a good attempt!

cheers

PL ....

even as in you'll prefer rembrandt kind of lightings?i actually had try those kind of lightings.it's more like side lightings.but pics not processed yet.still in CF card.
if i do without the softbox, what you mean is use barebulb + reflector?i dont really get it.
if no softbox, what should be the main light modifier?

thanks for taking time to input your comments.

even as in you'll prefer rembrandt kind of lightings?i actually had try those kind of lightings.it's more like side lightings.but pics not processed yet.still in CF card.
if i do without the softbox, what you mean is use barebulb + reflector?i dont really get it.
if no softbox, what should be the main light modifier?

thanks for taking time to input your comments.

no it doesn't have to be a rembrandt kinda light.... and ti doesn't have to be what i suggest essentially...it all depends on what kinda "mood" u're trying to set with this.... i'm merely suggesting an alternative or pushing it with an S curve on PS / a higher ratio of lights :)

the more impt part (which i've people advising me and i'm trying to learn everyday too is:- don't get too caught up in lightings....rather the essential story/voice/motive u're trying to say) thats y i said...for me (as i'm more into contrasty, idiosyncrytical, edgy.....whimpsical...kinda mood) i'd prefer a higher contrast or hard lighting....which may NOT be what u want :)

yesh, a bare bulb with a standard reflector or maybe even a barebulb with reflector with honeycomb to create a hard light.....to modify it is really up to your creativity.

u could even try to make your own gobo and place it nearer to your subject....

BTW, u can start to "rent out studio" with your HM studio oredi :D :bsmilie:

no it doesn't have to be a rembrandt kinda light.... and ti doesn't have to be what i suggest essentially...it all depends on what kinda "mood" u're trying to set with this.... i'm merely suggesting an alternative or pushing it with an S curve on PS / a higher ratio of lights

the more impt part (which i've people advising me and i'm trying to learn everyday too is:- don't get too caught up in lightings....rather the essential story/voice/motive u're trying to say) thats y i said...for me (as i'm more into contrasty, idiosyncrytical, edgy.....whimpsical...kinda mood) i'd prefer a higher contrast or hard lighting....which may NOT be what u want
yesh, a bare bulb with a standard reflector or maybe even a barebulb with reflector with honeycomb to create a hard light.....to modify it is really up to your creativity.

u could even try to make your own gobo and place it nearer to your subject....

BTW, u can start to "rent out studio" with your HM studio oredi :D :bsmilie:

i get it.and i thank you for the valuable different perspective.:)

rent out?cannot.it's MY ROOM!too private!;)

i get it.and i thank you for the valuable different perspective.:)

rent out?cannot.it's MY ROOM!too private!;)

please lor...spare the formalities lar....

i'm learning also lar...... u learn, i learn...... :bsmilie:

okay lar, dun rent out your room, lend me :bigeyes:

kidding

added new pic
made it more contrasty.

comments welcomed.
yes, i know feet and hands blurred:cry:
but i'd tried my best.
i tried almost everything to freeze them, save for buying better lights.

478101518_b2567aa570_o.jpg

added new pic
made it more contrasty.

comments welcomed.
yes, i know feet and hands blurred:cry:
but i'd tried my best.
i tried almost everything to freeze them, save for buying better lights.

478101518_b2567aa570_o.jpg

hey Jeanie....much nicer PP, colours are more snappy too!.... what shutter speed were u shooting at?

here's a suggestion..... try to shoot at higher shutter speeds, if need more light, bring BOTH lights to point from one direction ....if u want fill in, throw a reflector and feather opposite side. do your ratios...

make sure u're getting shutter speeds of 1/250th? should be enuf to freeze this kinda motion. i've shot at 1/125th b4.....u can take a look....

its also impt to time your "click".....give her a queue..... "on the count of 3....1 and 2 and 3 .....she will jump...wait for her to hang that slight bit and trigger your shutter...."

communication is the key...

1st pic, although its almost there, but get her to look DEAD into your cam/you at the "peak" of her jump.

her expression shows an "ALMOST". if she's experienced dancer, she will know how to "hang" just enuf ....

of course....enuf time for rest and fluids..........

keep going!

hey Jeanie....much nicer PP, colours are more snappy too!.... what shutter speed were u shooting at?

here's a suggestion..... try to shoot at higher shutter speeds, if need more light, bring BOTH lights to point from one direction ....if u want fill in, throw a reflector and feather opposite side. do your ratios...

make sure u're getting shutter speeds of 1/250th? should be enuf to freeze this kinda motion. i've shot at 1/125th b4.....u can take a look....

its also impt to time your "click".....give her a queue..... "on the count of 3....1 and 2 and 3 .....she will jump...wait for her to hang that slight bit and trigger your shutter...."

communication is the key...

1st pic, although its almost there, but get her to look DEAD into your cam/you at the "peak" of her jump.

her expression shows an "ALMOST". if she's experienced dancer, she will know how to "hang" just enuf ....

of course....enuf time for rest and fluids..........

keep going!

as mentioned, i didnt want to break up their momentum.they were dancing to the matsuri song.the mood was....awesome.i myself really had forgotten i was there to shoot!
so, it' not really a posed shot.

i just let them do their thing, and i did mine.

as for the 3rd pic, that's a posed shot.

was shot at 1/250.maxed out for my d200 to sync with the strobes.
very sad i couldnt up it further.:(

Hands and legs blur is fine because its action blur.. not off focus blur.. so long as the main subject, the action is clear is enough...

ok.noted.thanks

i did.but dont expect dancers to close eyes like he does.they'll be slamming against my wall and my plasma tv behind the backdrop.:)

thanks for comments.:)

not really close eyes. juz a little mixture of student's style.

another one i love.especially her black asian hair.

different exposure as i have to up the lights a little to compensate for her darker complexion.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/476494429_1c32888984_o.jpg

not an expert to comment but i feel this is one of your best shots so far. its quite perfect except er... hmmm *ponder* i think her red blouse can be a little longer to cover.. that little bit of.. erm.. skin exposed then it would be great...

i know kitaro's music pretty well, matsuri's the sixth song from the kojiki album, and it is a song that portrays a festival, perhaps in the light of a previous battle victory.

and the expression on the model's face is perfect for this piece, the hidden triumph and confidence. there's just something in this expression that speaks a thousand words.

not an expert to comment but i feel this is one of your best shots so far. its quite perfect except er... hmmm *ponder* i think her red blouse can be a little longer to cover.. that little bit of.. erm.. skin exposed then it would be great...

i know kitaro's music pretty well, matsuri's the sixth song from the kojiki album, and it is a song that portrays a festival, perhaps in the light of a previous battle victory.

and the expression on the model's face is perfect for this piece, the hidden triumph and confidence. there's just something in this expression that speaks a thousand words.

i just went to THAT CD SHOP and bought ALL of kitaro's albums.now uploading into my ipod.

thanks very much for the compliments.i'll surely relay the compliments to my friend i promise.:)

An outstanding series! Really pro quality work here. Great and beautiful models captured by a very talented photographer! Congratulations!:thumbsup:

An outstanding series! Really pro quality work here. Great and beautiful models captured by a very talented photographer! Congratulations!:thumbsup:

thanks for the compliments:) .

2nd and 3rd photo doesn't have enough freeze. 1st one is great though. Your choice of backdrop really brings out your models dressing, giving this very contrast effect which is kinda of great for dances like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.