Macro Shots with 50mm 1.8f can?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3ntaur

Jan 23, 2007
Not too sure if I am doing the right thing but I added a Hoya +4 close up filter to it hoping that I can take some "nearer" macro shots but I still find the result abit :(

Am I doing the right thing adding a +4 to my 50mm lens? or should I +4 again so that it becomes +8 and I can get an even more close up shot of the subject?

Pls advice. thank you~

When you say the result is "abit :(", what do you mean?

Soft, lacking detail, still not close enough?

Post some photos lar... :)

maybe you want to try with raynox dc250 for a better close up if you have...

When you say the result is "abit :(", what do you mean?

Soft, lacking detail, still not close enough?
Looking at his 2nd para, I think he means not close enough...

To TS, you may want to try invert your 50mm...

Pardon for the :( haha..

ya I meant it wasnt magnified/close enough. Will try to post up some pics when I get home tonight.

But was wondering if I add another +4 to it will it work? or would an extension tube work better? or just invert the whole lens?

which works better?

Well, if budget is not an issue, a dedicated macro lens would definitely work best, followed by extension tubes. Adding another filter means a further degradation of image quality.

Hi c3ntaur,

Stacking close up filters is generally not a very good idea as the image degradation will be quite bad. In fact, due to it's construct, the Hoya +4 alone will be quite bad especially at the edges of the image. A better idea is actually to use the close up filter with a lens with longer focal length.

The focal length of a close up lens/filter or diopter = 1m / diopter strength

So in the case of a +4 it's focal length = 1m / 4 = 250mm

Magnification, M = focal length of lens / focal length of diopter

As you can see from the above formula, using a longer focal length will give you higher magnification:

50mm lens: M = 50/250 = 0.2x
200mm lens: M = 200/250 = 0.8x

My personal setup is to use an 80-200 zoom lens with a +2 or +3 diopter when not using my macro lens.

Hope that helps. :)

Hi Ziploc,

Thanks for the response.. but one question...

so in your opinion, adding a +4 to a 17-85mm is better then a +4 to a 50mm?

Well, if larger magnification is what you're seeking then yes the 17-85mm is slightly better then the 50mm at the long end (giving you 0.34x magnification). You should use a tele zoom lens (e.g. 70-200 as mentioned) if you have one. If you have only limited lenses, you can also consider using extension tube with the 50mm. Extension tube has no glass elements and hence no induced image degradation, and you can easily achieve larger magnification. Here is the how it goes:

Magnification M = length of extension tube / focal length of lens.

So with the 50mm lens and 25mm extension, you can get 0.5x magnification, or 1x magnification with 50mm extension. The only draw back with extension tube is that you will loose infinity focusing.

Btw, if you're into macro, I would highly recommend you to read the book "Closeups in Nature" by John Shaw, if you have not already done so. Here are some chapters previews of the book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=RD...ontcover&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0#PPA104,M1

i've a set of close up filter +1 to +4.cannot make it.i tried on my own 50mm.went to shop tried a dedicated one.big diff.try shoot e canon lens cap.find a dedicated one and compare,u see e diff.i tried a 100 macro,was good.bokeh solid too for portrait.at least to me a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.