MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, only one person using bootcamp? any disadvantages over it?

so, only one person using bootcamp? any disadvantages over it?

I do not see any real disadvantage over it . I have seen several successful usage on bootcamp. imho , it works for most scenarios , though i dread using a mac running some windows games.

Sorry I am not a mac user but looking to upgrade to a mac. Do I have to buy another photoshop software for mac or can I use back the one for windows? I have the PS CS3 currently.

Hey Mac bros out there, just out of curiosity. How many years do you use your macbook before you start to think of upgrading or feel that it's not as good as before? The average for windows notebook is about 2-3years. So is Mac lasting longer?

Also there's IT show round the corner...is it better to buy there or your regular shop. BTW, which shop would you recommend to go if IT show is not the place to be?
I am using Macbook Gen 1. doesnt feel like it needs to be replaced anytime soon and i am running almost all my photography/videography work on it.

Sorry I am not a mac user but looking to upgrade to a mac. Do I have to buy another photoshop software for mac or can I use back the one for windows? I have the PS CS3 currently.

Yes, you have to buy a mac version.

hey CS bros, desperately need your help here.
today i went to epicentre @ wheelock to get a MBP. i wanted to get the new 15 inch 2.66 GHz with the built-in battery. then the salesperson asked me if i wanna get the older mbp model. the specifications are the almost the same except for a few differences (highlight in red):

New Model Macbook Pro 15 Inch : $3288
2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
320GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in 7-hour battery
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
Apple Protection Plan extended 2 years: $502

Old Model Macbook Pro 15 Inch : $3288
2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
320GB hard drive
Replaceable battery
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
Apple Protection Plan extended 2 years: $399

Graphics
i'm kinda leaning towards the older model because of the better graphics card but the new one has 60 percent greater color gamut, not sure what that means. anyone care to explain?

Battery
i don't really fancy the built in battery bcoz warranty is only one year and you'll need to send to their centre to replace the battery if it's faulty. it would take 3 working days. after the one year warranty, the cost of repair for the batteries will be about $300.

the older model is also one year in warranty and after that if it's faulty, can just buy a new replaceable one at less than $200.

the salesperson told me that the older model left only 2 and just now one of the customers bought one of them, so now left only one. since i can't make my decision just now, she said she will reserve for me only until tomorrow for me to think about it.

this will be my first mac, so i'm not sure which model i should get. please help me, i'm in a dilemma right now. which model do you think i should get? thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
hey CS bros, desperately need your help here.
today i went to epicentre @ wheelock to get a MBP. i wanted to get the new 15 inch 2.66 GHz with the built-in battery. then the salesperson asked me if i wanna get the older mbp model. the specifications are the almost the same except for a few differences (highlight in red):

New Model Macbook Pro 15 Inch : $3288
2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
320GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in 7-hour battery
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
Apple Protection Plan extended 2 years: $502

Old Model Macbook Pro 15 Inch : $3288
2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
320GB hard drive
Replaceable battery
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
Apple Protection Plan extended 2 years: $399

Graphics
i'm kinda leaning towards the older model because of the better graphics card but the new one has 60 percent greater color gamut, not sure what that means. anyone care to explain?

Battery
i don't really fancy the built in battery bcoz warranty is only one year and you'll need to send to their centre to replace the battery if it's faulty. it would take 3 working days. after the one year warranty, the cost of repair for the batteries will be about $300.

the older model is also one year in warranty and after that if it's faulty, can just buy a new replaceable one at less than $200.

the salesperson told me that the older model left only 2 and just now one of the customers bought one of them, so now left only one. since i can't make my decision just now, she said she will reserve for me only until tomorrow for me to think about it.

this will be my first mac, so i'm not sure which model i should get. please help me, i'm in a dilemma right now. which model do you think i should get? thanks in advance :)

do you ever take out your battery?
I've only changed batteries in my laptops after two years usage.
the new batteries are higher capacity too btw. Doesn't make much sense to get an older model at the same price.
seems like the new batteries will get you an hour extra over the old models. That's definitely a big plus.
Graphics card performance is negligible if you're not doing video editing.
a better gamut on the screen is a big plus for photo editing of course

Last edited:
Qn. Apple care should be same price for the all macbook PRO version regardless of which generation u get it for.

do you ever take out your battery?
I've only changed batteries in my laptops after two years usage.
the new batteries are higher capacity too btw. Doesn't make much sense to get an older model at the same price.
seems like the new batteries will get you an hour extra over the old models. That's definitely a big plus.
Graphics card performance is negligible if you're not doing video editing.
a better gamut on the screen is a big plus for photo editing of course

about the battery, some pple have tried out the built-in battery. it did not last 7 hours like it said it was supposed to. max is only abt 5 hours. this one a bit subjective bcoz it depends on the individual's usage. graphics wise, i'm doing both video editing and photo editing. so i'm still deciding...

Qn. Apple care should be same price for the all macbook PRO version regardless of which generation u get it for.

really ah? the salesperson quote me $399 for AppleCare extended 2 years. the new one is $502. not sure leh, hehe.

anyway, thanks guys for your inputs. will be taking them into consideration. :D

about the battery, some pple have tried out the built-in battery. it did not last 7 hours like it said it was supposed to. max is only abt 5 hours. this one a bit subjective bcoz it depends on the individual's usage. graphics wise, i'm doing both video editing and photo editing. so i'm still deciding...

really ah? the salesperson quote me $399 for AppleCare extended 2 years. the new one is $502. not sure leh, hehe.

anyway, thanks guys for your inputs. will be taking them into consideration. :D

I already posted something about battery life but it's going to vary depending on usage. If you believe anything written to be exactly what you'll find happening in real life, I'd be surprised. Apple's previous 5 hour battery will likely give you anywhere from 2.5 - 3.5 hours average use.

The wider LCD gamut should display more colours. The difference in video RAM will affect 3D applications mostly. Are you going to run 3D modeling, games, or Apple's Aperture raw development software? If so, it could matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.