MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.
The downside of me is that you will have buy most of your software again! :(

what software is required other than ms office and photoshop? i've thought about that already as i don't need most of the software from microsoft. so it's ok.

Yup, for me also Ms Office & Photoshop. The rest of the stuffs i manage it thru' iLife and the software that comes with mac. Mail, iPhoto, iTunes, etc!

Mac FTW!! :)

Apple is good. My G4 Ibook still running after 5years ++ of using. Was suprise it can still upgrade the OS to 10.5 version. Its a good piece of gear and worht the $$ ... Like the rest of the CSers say, once touch Apple product, you will never turn back !!! :)

My 10 year old IBM notebook is still working too!! Windows 95 FTW!! LOL!

Last edited:
Apple is good. My G4 Ibook still running after 5years ++ of using. Was suprise it can still upgrade the OS to 10.5 version. Its a good piece of gear and worht the $$ ... Like the rest of the CSers say, once touch Apple product, you will never turn back !!! :)

I use PC and Macs... think it's good to not get stuck on one system as everything has their pluses and minuses. You're G4 was probably made in the US while all new notebooks are made in China, next to Dell, HP, Gateway etc...

I'm working happily on my PowerBook that I bought refurbished in February 2005 using Leopard.

I did change the battery and the hard drive, but that's all.

I think the early MacBook/MacBook Pro line not quite as stable but now, the line is quite good, especially since this week's announcements.

not sure how's the offer on IT show. heard they are clearing out the old stock.

I use PC and Macs... think it's good to not get stuck on one system as everything has their pluses and minuses. You're G4 was probably made in the US while all new notebooks are made in China, next to Dell, HP, Gateway etc...

Not really, its design in US but assemble in China ... lolx ... actually I did change Harddisk myself once... Moving Parts can't run 24/7 for too long .. lolx .. haha

not at all. no apple laptops are made in the US. OEM for apple or otherwise usually Taiwan or China.

The point about the older pre OS-X Macs (and I have used G3s and G4s), besides build quality (which is primarily a function of price, any OEM manufacturer can do a nicer laptop or mobile phone casing etc, its just whether their customer tells them to do so and pays the higher amount ) is the fact that

(a) it was RISC chip set, entirely different ball game, and
(b) Apple controls both the hardware and the software.

(b) in particular leads to stability. Windows cannot be entirely faulted because it is designed to be compatible with as many kinds of hardware as possible. This invariably leads to instability because they have no control over these hardware suppliers.

Insofar as laptops are concerned, to compare with Dell, HP, Gateway is missing the point entirely. The correct comparisons were with say the IBMs, Sony Vaios, Toshiba,s Fujitsus.

That said, I do agree that the build quality of Apple products has suffered over the years.

Computers today can last a long time, Mac or PC no difference. Not many software utilize all the power of dual processors.

So it really boils down to how durable the hardware is.

Computers today can last a long time, Mac or PC no difference. Not many software utilize all the power of dual processors.

So it really boils down to how durable the hardware is.

Last longer ??? sure or not? think ppl now will not want an item that can last ... always looking for better, faster, newer, prettier PC/Apple/etc ....

Mass production enable item to be cheap but sacrifices Quality.

not at all. no apple laptops are made in the US. OEM for apple or otherwise usually Taiwan or China.

The point about the older pre OS-X Macs (and I have used G3s and G4s), besides build quality (which is primarily a function of price, any OEM manufacturer can do a nicer laptop or mobile phone casing etc, its just whether their customer tells them to do so and pays the higher amount ) is the fact that

(a) it was RISC chip set, entirely different ball game, and
(b) Apple controls both the hardware and the software.

(b) in particular leads to stability. Windows cannot be entirely faulted because it is designed to be compatible with as many kinds of hardware as possible. This invariably leads to instability because they have no control over these hardware suppliers.

Insofar as laptops are concerned, to compare with Dell, HP, Gateway is missing the point entirely. The correct comparisons were with say the IBMs, Sony Vaios, Toshiba,s Fujitsus.

That said, I do agree that the build quality of Apple products has suffered over the years.

Why is that the "correct comparison"? What is your point? I do stand corrected that all notebooks have pretty much always been assembled in TW or China. Quanta does assemble Dell, Sony, IBM and Apple products. You can find anecdotal stories about good or bad experiences with any manufacturer. And yes, I have used pretty much used all the vendors before.

Last edited:
is the new non-removable battery that fantastic? from what i know the current stock mac pros can last 7hrs per charge. so do you mean the new models will last 14hrs? this would be too good to be true, i be damn to wait for it.

you actually believe that bull about 7hrs per charge????
I have the new MBP 15" and they said the battery would last 7 hrs. Guess what. 4 hours with brightness lowered and battery saving mode, 3 hours with graphics card enabled

I have the new MBP 15" and they said the battery would last 7 hrs. Guess what. 4 hours with brightness lowered and battery saving mode, 3 hours with graphics card enabled

Well not everyone is quite so dissatisfied. Anandtech did some testing.

You bought the WWDC 09 MBP already?

I have iMac Intel and couple PC laptops at home. Recently I was looking something ultra portable, considering Macbook Air but at the end settled for Sony TT series. Sometime I just can't shake off my mind that apple products are over priced.

Last edited:
hey, can i have a show of hand, how many of you using bootcamp? and what percentage of HD is allocated for windows?

hey, can i have a show of hand, how many of you using bootcamp? and what percentage of HD is allocated for windows?

Yes, 30 GB

Wow... i thought OS X 10.5 Leopard only runs on Intel Macs, no?

My iBook G4 is still running 10.3.5...thinking of upgrading to 10.4 Tiger.

Wow... i thought OS X 10.5 Leopard only runs on Intel Macs, no?

My iBook G4 is still running 10.3.5...thinking of upgrading to 10.4 Tiger.

Shouldn't you at least be running 10.3.9 since it was the last version of 10.3?

Leopard was the first good release for Intel-based Macs but it runs on both and will be the last for PowerPC-based Macs.

Status
Not open for further replies.