Loving Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi OshKosh

Nice pics...btw , you are using DX or FX camera?

Pic 18

3294292027_7c4dd76480.jpg

indeed a poisonous glass with proper handling.....u handle it well :)
like to see it on FX also somedays.....

cheers

Thanks for the compliment Garagez. Hope you get your copy of Sigma soon! Well, I too am drooling over a FF cam. Eyeing on D700.... but must first save up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment Garagez. Hope you get your copy of Sigma soon! Well, I too am drooling over a FX cam. Eyeing on D700.... but must first save up.

still got my cosina 40mm f2, not too hurry :)

cheers

Oh the pancake lens... nice. That is one of the lens that I think I'll get someday. Heard a lot of nice things on that one.

Pic 19

3212519474_f24e4b9a82.jpg

Pic 20

3319416824_f310e88fcf.jpg

Pic 21

3318594173_1f48d02468.jpg

Thanks for welcoming me TheChef and Oshkosh, I am going to Sigma to calibrate alittle, as I notice very slight back focusing when I did a 1.4 on a close up photo of a bench, nothing serious. I will be taking some still life soon. By the way, have anyone use Raynox 250 on the Sigma 1.4?

Gerries, like the pic that you put up. Nice DOF. Should post it instead of putting up a link. :)

Hi guys, I can't find a used one in the market & might just dip for a new piece but a little concerned with the focus problem it's receiving. Should I check out every piece @ the shop before I buy, will the problem surface later?

Meanwhile I took this with a Carl Zeiss 50 @ 1.4. The background is not the most beautiful IMO & is quite soft wide open but improves @ 2.

leaves.jpg

Last edited:
Have faith in the Sigma. 95% of the time, focusing problems are caused by the photographer.

Some test shots to show the focus accuracy of the Sigma lens.

DSCF0659.jpg

DSCF0660.jpg

DSCF0661.jpg

DSCF0662.jpg

DSCF0663.jpg

The 50mm 1.4 has a very shallow DOF, so depend on what angle you take, and whether you are particular or not, you might not notice the back or front focusing problem. As the lens is within warranty, Sigma will calibrate for you with your camera without charge. I am sending my next week. Heard from technician just 2 hours only.

I have played with the Nikkor AFS 50mm too, and notice that focusing are off, and can conclude that it depends on how wide you want to open. If you shoot at say 1.8 or 2.0 you will not have such problem. This is my 5 cents worth of advice.

A better way to test, is to show your AF point on the photo when you open your Nikon ViewNX, this is how I notice my slight back focusing problem.

A better way to test, is to show your AF point on the photo when you open your Nikon ViewNX, this is how I notice my slight back focusing problem.

Personally, I am not too worried about slight focus problems since every lens have them and it is just a matter of degree. I choose to enjoy shooting instead. As the Chinese words in my pictures say "知足长乐“.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.