LOUSY wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
"solid" photographer u got there. Should check his portfolio first. Must be those kind of budget teenager type kid who just started and try his luck....:thumbsd::sticktong

i won't be surprised if the guy was paid $200.

"solid" photographer u got there. Should check his portfolio first. Must be those kind of budget teenager type kid who just started and try his luck....:thumbsd::sticktong

The problem is, not all photo studios are honest about who's behind the shots in the company portfolio. Especially more so for bridal studio packages that have an add-on photography package.

Why not just hire a pro from CS? Would have been cheaper. ;)

This guy could also be a CS member and quite new to photography. Just wanted to gain experience.

Those wedding studio do not have any "real" portfolio to show. There just hire any cheapo parttimer wanna be whom just want to gain experience and they cut cost by just putting one photog there instead of 2 photog.

Well..I don't think it's the lens problem. 17-70 is a good lens. (ok ...compare to an L....what the hell).

I personally shoot with 18-200 in large jpeg. But never got complains. The couples always love the shots (this lens allow me to do more on different compo).

I honestly think you have some part tp play in this. It is your duty to make sure that the photog you hiring is well worth 1000000 dollars even before engaging him.

Having said that, i feel that this entire thing is a sad case of one-too-many people have dslrs and assume they can come out and get jobs by undercutting price and etcetc. sad.

to Stratix: dun really have picture to single-handedly pin-point it out. but i guess looking at pictures taken by 2 such different lens is more than enough to imagine right?

When you mention you don't really have picture to point out, do you mean:
1) you don't have the pictures with you
2) there isn't a single picture that seriously substantiates your 'woes?'
3) you don't really wish to post the pictures due to content (i.e. self identification, etc)

Frankly, unless you're going for large prints, or viewing 1:1 on screen, I don't really see any issues besides:
1) Photographer's equipment being on the 'cheapish' side
2) lack of specific technical knowledge
3) $ not enough

Shooting raw or not is preference. Raw adds additional time and equipment burden to the workflow which means additional costs. If you only mentioned it on the day itself, I don't really think it's fair. In any case, such things should have been discussed beforehand..

Of course if you're saying on the get go, you'll trash the hired photographer's photos and opt for the ones your brother shot, then I say you might have a serious case.

sigh ... sympathies ...:cry:

dragco, when you say you paid thousands of dollars, you mean paying it to the bridal shoot for the pre-wedding shoot right? Which then includes AD photographer as well or did you have to top up?

If included and no top up, I would think that most of your $ goes into the pre-wedding package rather then the AD photographer.

Correct me if I'm wrong (those pros out there):
For RAW pics, not many photographers does that as it will require hell lots of memory cards. If you really required RAW, did you mention it to the Bridal shop on this request earlier?

just my 10cents. ;) But my heart goes to dragco for feeling lousy upon seeing the photos :embrass: as I would feel so in his situation.

No offence to the bridalstudios, but I really don't like them much!

Getting married soon and my ROM is actually this month. Went to Malaysia to seek a bridal shoot package, but was shocked that the extra pics are charged at such a ridiculus high price. We booked a package with 20 prints, and later on felt that it not worth it. With the money, I could just simply buy a L lens and do it on our own!

So we withdrew the package and started our own wedding shots. So far had done 3 indoor sessions at home and 1 outdoor session at chinese garden. The pics got are not perfect and about 80% satisfying, but we still got time and can go on and on shooting if we are keen and free! We believe that we will improve and the pics will get better n better.

For AD photos, for sure we cannot shoot by ourselves, but for sure we will not seek help from the streetside bridal shops, maybe will find some freelance photographers with a good portfolio and PASSION of photography, rather than the in-bussiness personnels....

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

he win liao raw also dunno...

you might as well answer him, raw is war!

No offence to the bridalstudios, but I really don't like them much!

Getting married soon and my ROM is actually this month. Went to Malaysia to seek a bridal shoot package, but was shocked that the extra pics are charged at such a ridiculus high price. We booked a package with 20 prints, and later on felt that it not worth it. With the money, I could just simply buy a L lens and do it on our own!

So we withdrew the package and started our own wedding shots. So far had done 3 indoor sessions at home and 1 outdoor session at chinese garden. The pics got are not perfect and about 80% satisfying, but we still got time and can go on and on shooting if we are keen and free! We believe that we will improve and the pics will get better n better.

For AD photos, for sure we cannot shoot by ourselves, but for sure we will not seek help from the streetside bridal shops, maybe will find some freelance photographers with a good portfolio and PASSION of photography, rather than the in-bussiness personnels....

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

Wah Bro.. solid leh.. you use a tripod and timer to shoot your own pre-weding shots?
Dun worry for your AD, I'm sure there are lots of exp pple here that can help you.

i won't be surprised if the guy was paid $200.

$200 to a school kid, its probably a half month allowance? ;p

I bet its a good deal to him, so just hoot on the offer!!! :bsmilie:

i attended a friend's wedding recently, and brought my camera to take table photos. when the AD photos was posted online (all of them), my friends on the same table commented how come my dinner photos "feels" nicer than the AD photographer's.

after going through the photo again a few times, i realised the photographer like to take closeups, WITHOUT LEGS! :eek: none of the photos from morning till dinner has feets/shoe/ankles! group photos at the reception area are chopped off at the knees. family photos taken after tea ceremony has no feet for front row people sitted! not to mention numerous photos with elbows or hands chop off... horrible....

talk about paid photographers..... :sweat:

i attended a friend's wedding recently, and brought my camera to take table photos. when the AD photos was posted online (all of them), my friends on the same table commented how come my dinner photos "feels" nicer than the AD photographer's.

after going through the photo again a few times, i realised the photographer like to take closeups, WITHOUT LEGS! :eek: none of the photos from morning till dinner has feets/shoe/ankles! group photos at the reception area are chopped off at the knees. family photos taken after tea ceremony has no feet for front row people sitted! horrible....

talk about paid photographers..... :sweat:

he using telephoto and u using wide angles...

well, this is the reason why couples should see the portfolio and decide who they wanna employ for their wedding. If you like all with legs, make known, and make sure you get someone who can shoot whole body nicely...

recently also looking for one, (better dun let him know who i am, else he stress), anyway already confirmed one, i see the works, felt ok with it, so just get it lor... no matter how good your skills are, you can never take your own wedding photos... so you have to trust the person you employ... suck thumb if he dun deliver... (imagine mine screw up, his nick will be posted... lol, every photographer beware.)

he using telephoto and u using wide angles...

well, this is the reason why couples should see the portfolio and decide who they wanna employ for their wedding. If you like all with legs, make known, and make sure you get someone who can shoot whole body nicely...

recently also looking for one, (better dun let him know who i am, else he stress), anyway already confirmed one, i see the works, felt ok with it, so just get it lor... no matter how good your skills are, you can never take your own wedding photos... so you have to trust the person you employ... suck thumb if he dun deliver... (imagine mine screw up, his nick will be posted... lol, every photographer beware.)

oh ya, he'll also be kinda stress... imagine CS ppl will probably be shooting along side with him... super stress... esp he dun deliver quality pics... kena critique until kisiao...

"A few thousand dollars" for wedding photographer would already mean top-notch photographers in Sg. It's probably a wedding package, with wedding photography as an add-on extra, and in such cases, the photography part of this package might only cost a few hundred dollars. It is highly likely the photography jobs have been sub-contracted to other companies.

I too suspect that this is indeed the case. But only the OP knows the situation.

I am aware that there are some atrocious wedding photographers in Singapore. Imagine a professional photographer who goes to a wedding with only ONE lens: an ultrawide (like 10-22, 12-24 etc). Yiiikes.

That's why I have told my colleagues to go over the portfolio of the prospective wedding photographer to make sure he knows what he's doing. And that he's the actual man taking shots that day, not some untrained man from the street. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.