Linksys, Netgear, SMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
dEthANGeL said:
Why so "kind" ... if your net goes down.. at least you can tap into theirs mah :devil: :bsmilie:
I know, at least 2-3 is not secured ones :bsmilie:

So can I know which is the most easy to configure, look nice sleek and must be black in colour ?

:bsmilie:

simon80 said:
So can I know which is the most easy to configure, look nice sleek and must be black in colour ?

:bsmilie:

get linksys compact router... small enuff to fit my pocket.....

dEthANGeL said:
Why so "kind" ... if your net goes down.. at least you can tap into theirs mah :devil: :bsmilie:

hehehe... i saw about 6 SSID yesterday @ my parent's room, only saw about 3 in my room... strange...

but best part is i can't seem to connect to my Dlink from their room, so i used their to connect.. so far so good... all linksys... haha.. 192.168.1.1 hahaha wonder if they use the default password anot...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hehehe... i saw about 6 SSID yesterday @ my parent's room, only saw about 3 in my room... strange...

but best part is i can't seem to connect to my Dlink from their room, so i used their to connect.. so far so good... all linksys... haha.. 192.168.1.1 hahaha wonder if they use the default password anot...

wah 4 port gigabit.... how much u paid for it?

think 299 or something at fuwell...

anyway since my desktops are gigabit ready, might as well get that, cat5e to every room already... now just use the wireless feature on laptop & ipaq...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

Please don't give me ideas :bsmilie:

Astin said:
I intend to upgrade my home to have wireless broadband. I am on Singnet broadband, using 1 desktop and 2 laptops. I know I need 1 router, 1 wireless PCI card for desptop and 1 wireless PCMCIA cards for each laptop.
Are there any difference between these 3 brandnames:
- Linksys
- Netgear
- SMC

Here's my anecdotal take on the reliability of some brands:

Netgear - my friend's two units have had one issue or other. The first one just died (within 2 weeks), it's replacement quits every half hour! Easy to set up though. I bought a friend one in Australia when I was on holiday there (bloody expensive there) - that one has worked fine for the last six months.

D-Link - the 54G one I bought for a friend last year died within a week. Setup interface rather clunky, at least for that version of firmware on the D-Link

Linksys - for me, so far, has been the least fussy brand. My WRT54G has run 24/7 for nearly a year. Signing up for the latest cable package, Starhub gave me another one which I am keeping until I get my own place ;-) The 54G wireless PC card I gave to my flatmate has worked flawlessly, as has the USB wireless G unit for my desktop. Setup is straightforward, and you do get quite a lot of options, which is good. I have two other friends with the WRT54G and they've got no complains whatsoever. BTW, the WRT54G is probably the most hackable wifi box around - as in there are quite a few alternative operating systems you can run on it.

In terms of looking cool, Linksys' ubiquitous blue boxes look quite horrible though ;-) The Netgear units look very nice with their low profile design. I like the d-link designs too. Pity I haven't had good experiences with the latter two brands.

kahheng said:
Here's my anecdotal take on the reliability of some brands:

Netgear - my friend's two units have had one issue or other. The first one just died (within 2 weeks), it's replacement quits every half hour! Easy to set up though. I bought a friend one in Australia when I was on holiday there (bloody expensive there) - that one has worked fine for the last six months.

D-Link - the 54G one I bought for a friend last year died within a week. Setup interface rather clunky, at least for that version of firmware on the D-Link

Linksys - for me, so far, has been the least fussy brand. My WRT54G runs 24/7 for nearly a year. Signing up for the latest cable package, Starhub gave me another one which I am keeping until I get my own place ;-) The 54G wireless PC card I gave to my flatmate has worked flawlessly, as does the USB wireless G unit. Setup is straightforward, and you do get quite a lot of options, which is good. I have two other friends with the WRT54G and they've got no complains whatsoever.

In terms of looking cool, Linksys' ubiquitous blue boxes look quite horrible though ;-) The Netgear units look very nice with their low profile design. I like the d-link designs too. Pity I haven't had good experiences with the latter two brands though.

u will be surprise i got equal numbers of complaints from customers with dlink,linksys.... buffalo market quite small in sg.... the up coming brand should be belkin.... so far not many complaints.... only 1 or 2 who fried e poor thing while flashing roms... wonder how they do it...

or perhaps its luck.... my smc router 3yrs old still running.... switched to netgear for almost 6months also so far so good....

kegler u do wat 1? seems that u like got all the brands selling... must be some big computer supermart... cos most i see only able to carry 1 or 2 brands...

anyway same like camera lor, u can't expect an ultimate 1, esp with the price u paying... like this Dlink router, dun have UPNP, now waiting for a firmware with UPNP...

Astin said:
So the right thing to do, is "ON" the modem and router 24 hours a day, and "OFF" the desktop and laptop when sleep?
(these few questions may show that I am an IT-newbie :sweat: )
Yep. Unless u've got something rendering on ur laptop/desktop, or doing some *ahem* downloads, juz turn it off when not in use.

Ur modem and router can leave it on. No sweat. Wun die. U wun see ur bill jump from $100 to $2000 anyway. :D Current consumption for router and modem quite small.

Ok I got it.
Another question: is there any big difference between 54Mbps router and 108Mbps router? The price of 108Mbps is almost double.....

Astin said:
Ok I got it.
Another question: is there any big difference between 54Mbps router and 108Mbps router? The price of 108Mbps is almost double.....

For net access, nope.

Astin said:
Ok I got it.
Those router u see 54mbps and 108mbps do not refer to how fast u can access the internet. Ur internet access speed is dependant on what plan u subscribe to and NOT the router speed.

The router speed only comes into serious play when u are transferring files between 2 computers that are connected to the same router.

For home use, 802.11g routers (54mbps) are more den enuff.

yeap unless like me, i bt all the anime, den use laptop see... thinking of getting those set top box to plug to tv, den can wirelessly view my anime from my pc...

Status
Not open for further replies.