LightRoom 4 Tethered Capture

SincerePix

Sep 21, 2012
Singapore
Dear Light-Roommates :)

I’m reading Scot Kelby’s book Lightroom 4 on the topic on Tethered Shooting (pages 22-25). I followed the steps closely and here’s what happened.

With Lightroom 4 Activated
  1. I started Tethered Capture in LR4 and the Tethered Capture Window appears.
  2. When I turned on my Canon 40D, EOS Utility automatically launched and I quickly QUIT the utility since I don’t need it at this time.
  3. Although LR4’s Tethered Capture continues to recognize my Canon 40D, I’m unable to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, aperture and can’t even activate the shutter button within LR4.

WithOUT Lightroom 4
1. When I turn on my Canon 40D, EOS Utility automatically launched as usual and I quit the utility.
2. I then launch LR4 and it recognizes my Canon 40D
3. Now, I’m able to adjust the camera ISO, shutter speed, aperture normally.

My questions are:

1. Is the EOS Utility conflicting with LR4’s Tethered Capture?
2. Is it recommended to uninstall the EOS Utility?
3. If yes, how do I do it on MAC Snow Leopard?

I’m not sure if I should continue with the method of (i) Quitting EOS Utility first and then (ii) launch/or re-launch LR4 to have LR’s tethered capture work properly with my Canon 40D.

(I wonder if Nikon users have the same experience. Btw, Scott Kelby uses Nikon.)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your expert feedback.

SincerePix

1) Obviously. Whichever program starts first grabs and blocks the communication to the camera. Perfectly normal to avoid interferences.
2) Do you need EOS Utility? I haven't used it for ages and I'm not sure whether some files from EOS Utility are required for communication between LR4 and cam. If LR4 manual for tethered shooting does not require EOS Utility to be installed then just remove it.
3) Can't help, I'm not an Apple user. But I'm sure there is a central program management where one can remove installed programs.

Thanks Octarine.

In the past, I had to use EOS Uitility to shoot tethered to Adobe Bridge/Photoshop. But with LR4, perhaps it's time to remove EOS Utility.

Have a great week ahead. :)