Lexus/Riva Sb-3000AFp mini review

Status
Not open for further replies.
dnaxe, all flash units emit a whine when the capacitors are charged. Everytime the capacitors get charged up, even at standby, there will be the whine. Quite normal lah.

Not during the charging.. after the charging?

Ya the sound will be there after charging.

oh well. that means there are 2 left.

The one I got has some sound after charging, but it's.. not quite as loud.

I don't recall this from the last time I used a flash, but I guess that was quite some time ago.

its charging sound, N SB800 oso got charging sound after every flash, very normal especially after u blast it full power...

im think im gonna skipping this flash...will go with the sunpak 383 or the vivitar285, or even old N SB28 or SB80 if i can find 1... The HS02 seems useful, else i will get the wein 1...

will wait till this sat to see gigahz test the catcus v2 then i decide on my final purchase...

its charging sound, N SB800 oso got charging sound after every flash, very normal especially after u blast it full power...

im think im gonna skipping this flash...will go with the sunpak 383 or the vivitar285, or even old N SB28 or SB80 if i can find 1... The HS02 seems useful, else i will get the wein 1...

will wait till this sat to see gigahz test the catcus v2 then i decide on my final purchase...

Dun force urself;) Just go order the Vivitar or Sunpak from US. They are still the prefered choice for strobists.:bsmilie:

Edit: I'd yet inform the Pentax bros in Malaysia about this flash^^;

Dun force urself;) Just go order the Vivitar or Sunpak from US. They are still the prefered choice for strobists.:bsmilie:

Edit: I'd yet inform the Pentax bros in Malaysia about this flash^^;

yap... my mind is already on the vivitar or the sunpak liao... already looking which website to buy, cos oso looking for a light meter, so trying to get the best and convenience purchase...

btw OT abit... just bought the raynox250...mount it on the vt125 :bigeyes: very close :bsmilie: trying to get a 49mm to 52 mm step up ring to mount it on my other lens... wonder what happen if i stack 2 raynox on the vt :think:

yap... my mind is already on the vivitar or the sunpak liao... already looking which website to buy, cos oso looking for a light meter, so trying to get the best and convenience purchase...

btw OT abit... just bought the raynox250...mount it on the vt125 :bigeyes: very close :bsmilie: trying to get a 49mm to 52 mm step up ring to mount it on my other lens... wonder what happen if i stack 2 raynox on the vt :think:

Aiya, why buy the Raynox, just loan from me mah!

got myself a set after seeing all the 'rave' reviews here for my rf setup.
1st impression....
Good point, as mentioned i find it very useful as it had the built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser,
it very light
slave flash function
Able to swivel up and down and left n right
the sb-3000 are rf enable,
testing using my alpha-700, i think pentax should not have any problem triggering the flash also.

Bad point
u paid for what u get, the built is very cheapo n kinda filmsy, recharging at 1/4 power take longer than my vivitar 285.
the sb-3000 unable to sustain for a burst of three shots whereas my vivitar 285 can sustain a burst of up to 3 shot before there any noticeable drop in the light output.
when using zoom in manual mode , it zoom slowly n noisy,
the recharging sound is kinda of irritating as it kind of making a 'zzzzzzz' sound throughout when on.

Raynox DCR-250 is only +8 diopter, it's good for bigger spider. MSN-202 would be better, but it only works ok for anything 55mm or below due to 37mm. I'd mentioned in many times that Raynox DCR-250 will work better in prosumer than on DSLR. Stacking 2x 250 will give u a +16, meaning at 1:1 u'll get abt 2.5:1 macro. Problem is it's not as easy to use especially handheld outdoor.

Aiya, why buy the Raynox, just loan from me mah!

u neber say:sticktong anyway how can share... need to mount it on my macro lens :bsmilie:

Raynox DCR-250 is only +8 diopter, it's good for bigger spider. MSN-202 would be better, but it only works ok for anything 55mm or below due to 37mm. I'd mentioned in many times that Raynox DCR-250 will work better in prosumer than on DSLR. Stacking 2x 250 will give u a +16, meaning at 1:1 u'll get abt 2.5:1 macro. Problem is it's not as easy to use especially handheld outdoor.

ya ya ya ...msn202 +25 ;p, but like u say 37mm... so i choose the 250...

No. This is the same as the Emoblitz DS328AZ. It is use with a lot of pana FZ series prosumers, due to it's pre-flash slave mode. No manual power adjustment.

Btw, anybody bought the Camelion AlwaysReady batteries? Any opinions on them, compared to eneloops and other low self-discharge batteries?

No. This is the same as the Emoblitz DS328AZ. It is use with a lot of pana FZ series prosumers, due to it's pre-flash slave mode. No manual power adjustment.

I force my emoblitz for full power by taping up the light sensor, thats about the only manual adjustment available. :bsmilie:

Those who did buy the sb-3000af, has the zoom head ever jammed on you? I got mine last year (it's for the minolta hotshoe, but still the same model nontheless) and the zoom head keeps getting jammed (with a cack-cack sound) during operation. Just wondering if it's common for this model, or a mechanical fault on my unit.

I think mine did once, but I switched off the flash immediately and when I powered it up again all was fine. Since I use bounce flash most of the time, I don't fiddle around with the zoom head too much it still wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe more issues will arise along the way, since us Pentax guys have only just been introduced to it. I hope nothing crops up though, recalled the shopkeeper saying 'Export set, no warranty'

What's a little more annoying is how long it takes to charge up from scratch when first powered up. So I just switch it on early and leave it on all the way.

Those who did buy the sb-3000af, has the zoom head ever jammed on you? I got mine last year (it's for the minolta hotshoe, but still the same model nontheless) and the zoom head keeps getting jammed (with a cack-cack sound) during operation. Just wondering if it's common for this model, or a mechanical fault on my unit.

It's common that the head gets jammed now and then, but it only happened to me once of the 2 units I'd used off abt 200-300 flashes.

That sounds reasonable.

I think there's still 2 units left. I was thinking of getting 1 for the fact that it has a swivel head.

Bernard, better go quickly, only 2 left after I bought my second unit. :bsmilie:

The slave mode on the sb3000af needs another unit to trigger right? (i.e: it's an RF slave rather than optical slave? ) At the current pricing, I feel like getting another one. I paid nearly $200 for it last year, and now it's barely $90 :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.