Lens Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

caloyski

Jul 30, 2008
Hello Everybody,

when it comes to DSLR Cams and using Lenses, I am considered as a toddler.
I would need help in getting information on the Dos and Don'ts of cleaning lenses.
I would like to know whether my Nikkor Lenses can be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid.
I got a digital camera cleaning kit that was a freebie from my first cam which is a panasonic fz50. i have now made a big move of using DSLR. I am not sure if i can use the digital camera kit's cleaning fluid on my lenses. any help will be highly appreciated thank you so much.

shud be ok la. nt too sure, but i recommend cleaning wif fluids only when there are real stubborn marks.. nt too often coz might cause coating to be damaged..

for just dust, i recommened lenspen.. most shops carry it.. less than $20 confirm...

Thanks Adiknaim, will take note of your recommendation. Thank you for replying. Happy shooting... =)

I normally use a blower & a lens cleaner. Never found the need for cleaning fluid. Dunno what they do to the coating.....;)

Hello Everybody,

when it comes to DSLR Cams and using Lenses, I am considered as a toddler.
I would need help in getting information on the Dos and Don'ts of cleaning lenses.
I would like to know whether my Nikkor Lenses can be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid.
I got a digital camera cleaning kit that was a freebie from my first cam which is a panasonic fz50. i have now made a big move of using DSLR. I am not sure if i can use the digital camera kit's cleaning fluid on my lenses. any help will be highly appreciated thank you so much.

i find those free cleaning kit solutions not gd for use. u can try urs, but i do have bad experiences. lenspen works pretty well. blower is gd too. most of the time, i find, just light wiping of the lens with gd quality lens cloth will do the job, no need for solutions.

what does the lens pen do? if u see a thumb print on the lens for example.. what is the procedure for cleaning?

when i bought my filter they gave me a lens cloth? izzit good enough? i heard the cloth can micro scratch the lens also... any good recommendation for the cloth and lens pen?

dOlBy is selling the lenspen here at the B&S Photography Accessories.

You might wanna take a look ;)

Thanks everybody for all the tip. i really appreciate it. i would do as what everybody recommended. thank God for good people!:D

I normally just use Blower + Lenspen..... only use Lens cleaning fluid + Lens cleaning paper if there are stains that can't be remove by the Lenspen :thumbsup:

I normally just use Blower + Lenspen..... only use Lens cleaning fluid + Lens cleaning paper if there are stains that can't be remove by the Lenspen :thumbsup:

how abt those lens cleaning cloth.. do u use them? or strictly lens paper?

A good quality lens cleaning cloth is enough for most things. Just clean the lens gently in a circular motion from the middle to the outside. Repeat several times if necessary. You can get most finger prints etc off with this technique provided you do it as soon as possible. Afterwards, you can still use a blower to remove any lint left behind by the lens cloth. :)

Lens Paper use with Lens Cleaning Liquid...... once it dry off..... then I might use Lens Cloth.

Reason - Try no to 'Wet' my Lens Cloth or Lenspen..... You never know what type of residual is left on your Cloth or Lenspen once the Cleaning Liquid dry off..... Better to just throw away the cleaning medium (Lens Paper).

I also change my Lenspen and Lens Cloth every year or so...... :bsmilie:

wouldn't the brush on the lenspen scratch the lens? thats wat many shops tell me...thats y have been skeptical about buying lenspen..

wouldn't the brush on the lenspen scratch the lens? thats wat many shops tell me...thats y have been skeptical about buying lenspen..

Use a Blower to remove most of the larger Dust/Dirt particle 1st..... then use the 'Brush' and brush the corner of the lens gently (You don't have to use the Brush at all). I seldom use the brush, only for clean at the corner of the lens - where glass meets plastic/metal - also for general dusting of the camera - 2 set of brush for this job.... 1 set for lens only (Lenspen) and another cheap brush for dusting. :D

Btw.....most photographer would install a UV filter infront of their Lens for extra protection againts this type of scratches..... :thumbsup:

ic...but i was kinda talking about when the dust is on the lens itself...

if it is just dust, either ignore it or use a blower. a good brush for lenses should not damage the lens coat if use properly, unless u tell me u brushes it very often and very hard.

I have a painting with cheap acrylic front cover and almost twice a week i swept away dust using a cheapo feather duster. Even under close inspection i do not see scratches. Now we compare this observation with a glass vs plastic and lenspen vs feather duster. Maybe i am "mountain tortoise", i hav still yet to see real examples of lenses being scratched by lenspen or the blower dusters under proper usage.

Don't get too paranoid over these little things. A little dust on the lens won't affect ur images.

I use pure alcohol (100% proof) and it can remove about everything. Not sure where you can buy some. I have a friend that works in a lab so thats how I got mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.