Leica Q Type 116 - fixed lens 1.7/28 and full frame camera!

Age is a main factor for me. Gone are the days where I could lug my Nikons and a few lenses around. Now its either the M-P Type 240 with 3-4 lenses or the Q alone in my Billingham(made for M system cams) and I am ready. The Q is basically weightless to me compared to what I used to carry on my travels in or out of the country.
My kids are inheriting my Nikons. Thought of selling them but since my sons are enjoying them, I just let them stay!
There are many things you can say about Leica and its followers, like Apple and its so-called fans. For me, it has brought my photography to a different level. And I am not talking just about IQ and that sort of things. It allows me to slow down and take things in a more relaxed fashion. Even though I have to handle the endless barrage from my FCO...
Sale of Q on the rise in BnS? Well, many are caught in the BBB mode. When that mode subsides, its the SSS coming in. I nearly got one from a CSer which was just a week old. But when I found one new one sold for just $10 short of the price of the used, instinct made me just grab it. The whole amount I took out in cash caused the sales rep to just smile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW: just don't understand why so many guys are selling the Q. I have been using it for quite a while, it is just awesome!

I am guilty of this. To the Q defence, it is a very elegant camera. With elegant controls.
Though... Its a matter between evf and ovf now! Plus with a collection of nice m mount glasses, its hard to use it as the only camera.

I also don't see any difference between the files up to iso 800. But the zeiss glasses are wow.

I am guilty of this. To the Q defence, it is a very elegant camera. With elegant controls. Though... Its a matter between evf and ovf now! Plus with a collection of nice m mount glasses, its hard to use it as the only camera. I also don't see any difference between the files up to iso 800. But the zeiss glasses are wow.

zeiss glasses? Sony ?

Hi, hope I am not hijacking the thread. This is my first Leica and am going on a trip to Taiwan with it. Do you all cover the Leica logo when you travel with your cam :D I saw some threads on the net that people do it (cover the logo). I am wondering is it really useful to do so and if it is, what to use to stick over the logo without leaving a mark after the holiday :embrass:

$ForumRunner_20151210_230750.jpg

I cover it with black dot =p
Taiwan is quite safe though

Oh no, I meant the m mount 35mm distagon. Amazing glass.
I have tested it on a a7rm2, now I am using it on a mp240 which balances nicer than on a a7rm2.

Again, just my preference. The Q is a great camera.

Q is one of the most intuitive cam...

You can switch from AF to MF by pressing the knob and turn the focus ring slightly off "A". From MF to AF, pressing the knob and just turn the focus ring to "A".
You can also switch between MACRO and normal mode by turning a switch on the lens.

Hmm, maybe I need to drop by the Leica store (I went to Raffles Hotel Leica Store, Mr Ray Tan is very knowledgeable IMHO) to play with it more. Hope I won't get too poisoned. :bsmilie: Now using A72 with 3 M lens (28mm Elmarit, 50mm Cron and 90mm Elmarit) and the Zeiss 35mm FE.

Last edited:
Loving the Q more and more everyday, glad that I chose the Q over RX1R II. I prefer the design and conventional markings on the Q, can set the aperture I want and do zone focusing fast with the markings on the lens.

Should I cover the red dot? Which are the countries that will pose a danger when using the Q? I got quite a few strangers on the streets striking a conversation with me ytd when I'm in the city doing some shoots, it sure does attract alot of attention, especially when the hype now is about full frame compact cameras and the low supply high demand for the Q.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Loving the Q more and more everyday, glad that I chose the Q over RX1R II. I prefer the design and conventional markings on the Q, can set the aperture I want and do zone focusing fast with the markings on the lens.

Should I cover the red dot? Which are the countries that will pose a danger when using the Q? I got quite a few strangers on the streets striking a conversation with me ytd when I'm in the city doing some shoots, it sure does attract alot of attention, especially when the hype now is about full frame compact cameras and the low supply high demand for the Q.

I never cover the dots of any of my leicas. The telltale sign of leicas ha is more recognized by the lens markings. Camera thieves can spot leica regardless if you blind the dot, or not. I don't find the red dot attracting much attention also. I think its how you hold it, or if you sling it. I got more attention with the iiig!

Supply is very healthy now. Easily found in bns if you want to get one.

I never cover the dots of any of my leicas. The telltale sign of leicas ha is more recognized by the lens markings. Camera thieves can spot leica regardless if you blind the dot, or not. I don't find the red dot attracting much attention also. I think its how you hold it, or if you sling it. I got more attention with the iiig!

Supply is very healthy now. Easily found in bns if you want to get one.
Oo I'm currently based in aus, the supply here is close to none. I got my set shipped in from SG haha

Thks for all the advice guys! Wow cathay came in 30 sets all sold out again.

Tbh, I do see q users around national gallery these couple weeks. Its looking quite common in sg haha! With its success, I hope leica makes a 35/1.4 version...

30 pieces? Cathay has good bargaining power

Leica stores should have more stock allocation since Cathay got 30?

is it 30 since launch day??..
last i heard from Cathay is they get 1 piece every 3-4 weeks....

There are quite a number of people on waiting list, so I assume primarily fulfilled orders and some for loose sales.
I don't think leica stores will hold more stocks than the camera supply stores, while Singaporean are richer nowadays, they definitely also spend wisely.

There are quite a number of people on waiting list, so I assume primarily fulfilled orders and some for loose sales.
I don't think leica stores will hold more stocks than the camera supply stores, while Singaporean are richer nowadays, they definitely also spend wisely.

The price still RRP or drop a bit already?

Hi, wondering if anyone have suggestion for a small flash for "just-in-case" fill flash purpose with the Q. I usually don't use flash but there is always sometimes a need to fill flash (with my X100T, fill flash is easy). Currently, it looks like the Leica SF26 is THE flash to use for the Q but its a bit expensive for something that I will not use very much.

I found on the net that one could use the Fuji EF-X20 with the Q (there's a YouTube video on it).

I also found the Sunpak Sunpak PF20XD but not sure if it will work with the Q.

I didn't want to invest into the SF26 because I think I will make very little use of flash but wanted something small for "just-in-case" :D Anyone have experience or advice to share? Thanks in advance.