Last peek into the bali sunset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Hi all,

Another shot taken in Bali with a subject in it.. my wife! Was taking a last look at the sunset in Bali before heading back home ;) For your C&C as well. Thanks.

832826133_21cbef2efd.jpg

You know what? I like almost everything in this. Except 2 minor details... Try to expose slightly more for the sun... and second, get rid of the lens flare.

Nice work :thumbsup:

Thanks Yatlapball for your comments. expose slightly more means wat?

In this shot I metered off somewhere off the sun. Thanks.

Everything is good for me about this shot except that the sun is abit too bright therefore taking attention away from your subject IMHO. I like the shadow cast on the sand :lovegrin:

I like the picture.

But two things,

1. Can't help but feel that a landscape orientation would be better.
2. Overall scene is slightly overexposed. 1 stop under would make the sun more orangey etc.

Thanks watchdog and airfins for your comments :) will take note in future!

I like the picture but the 'picture' is really on the left middle side of the frame, the rest doesn't seem to add to the composition at all. You could try to put the sun further right to give more space that your wife is looking into, rather than the tight composition right now. I think that is where the landscape give more balance too, you try to do something with the shadows too.

On the other hand, if the sun is too intense then you could frame the sun behind her head which would create some rim-lighting which requires you to photograph her straight from the back and into the sun. In that case, it would be better if she rasied both her hands to shade against the sun to even the composition.

I like the picture but the 'picture' is really on the left middle side of the frame, the rest doesn't seem to add to the composition at all. You could try to put the sun further right to give more space that your wife is looking into, rather than the tight composition right now. I think that is where the landscape give more balance too, you try to do something with the shadows too.

On the other hand, if the sun is too intense then you could frame the sun behind her head which would create some rim-lighting which requires you to photograph her straight from the back and into the sun. In that case, it would be better if she rasied both her hands to shade against the sun to even the composition.

Hi Shuttergraphy, thanks for the interesting comment.

I had chosen to align the sun and subject more to the left to accentuate the space she is looking on the right. But the note on framing her directly in front of the sun is worth trying :)

The best thing about sunset is that you can process it anyway you want... and colour warmth depends on the mood that you want to achieve... so really... experiment. This is a pretty picture, but it does not invoke too much emotion, unless, you might have considered naming the shot "The love of my life, staring into the sunset". Maybe then the viewer can share that same emotion with you. Just my two cents. This is strictly a personal opinion. I think lovely pictures like these should be able to evoke some form of emotion. After all, this is your last day in Bali and the last peek into the sunset. But if the focus is turned onto the love of your life, then the sunset, then the whole picture carries a different emotion and value.

The best thing about sunset is that you can process it anyway you want... and colour warmth depends on the mood that you want to achieve... so really... experiment. This is a pretty picture, but it does not invoke too much emotion, unless, you might have considered naming the shot "The love of my life, staring into the sunset". Maybe then the viewer can share that same emotion with you. Just my two cents. This is strictly a personal opinion. I think lovely pictures like these should be able to evoke some form of emotion. After all, this is your last day in Bali and the last peek into the sunset. But if the focus is turned onto the love of your life, then the sunset, then the whole picture carries a different emotion and value.

Wow, thanks for the insight! ;) I guess we get to improve our english and written expressions in this section too besides photographic skills! :bsmilie:

Wow, thanks for the insight! ;) I guess we get to improve our english and written expressions in this section too besides photographic skills! :bsmilie:

Let me know if you need English lessons then... Ha ha ha... Glad to be sharing. Keep posting. I like the pic. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: That is a realy good view/suggestion :thumbsup:

A point to note - the horizon chops the person's neck...

cheers,
Iodion

interesting... would be cool if you exposed a little less to see a yellow ball

interesting... would be cool if you exposed a little less to see a yellow ball

Yea agree. Actually I was trying to expose for a darker silhouette... then i lose the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.