Landscape: GND, what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im using ps 7.0.... it doesnt seem to have 'Lens Correction'.... anybody know other way to produce nice vignetting?

Make a new layer, draw a big circular selection, feather it, invert the selection, fill with black, drop the opacity as needed.

About GND - if nothing moves and you don't mind a little extra storage used - you may bracket with +/- 2EV range, on a tripod of course. Stack them in layers and apply gradient layer masks. :embrass:

Yar, that's what I thought too. The thing is that PPCP doesn't have 52mm adaptor ring?
"Rings are available in 62, 67, 72 and 77mm"
So what do I need?

You could get a step-up filter thread ring. Do you own any other lenses?

Why I'm asking is because you can step up from the filter thread diameter of 52mm to whatever thread size your other lenses are, then you can use the same filter holder for all your lenses.

im using ps 7.0.... it doesnt seem to have 'Lens Correction'.... anybody know other way to produce nice vignetting?

How large is your photo?

Select 'Rectangular Marquee Tool', then set the feather to 200px (you can play with this value, depending on how large a vignette you want).

Draw a rectangular marquee around the whole frame. The feather will cause the corners of the selection to become rounded. This is expected. Select inverse, either through keyboard shortcut 'Ctrl + Shift + I', or (if you're on apple) 'Cmd (apple key) + Shift + I'.

Go to 'Layer' > 'New Adjustment Layer' > 'Levels'. You should see a dialogue box that confirms the layer details. Click OK, then you should see a graph of some sort, with three sliders right below the x-axis. You want to play around with the left and middle sliders till you get the vignetting effect that you like.

you need to understand how they work and what situations they are used for first, with some practice on each.

generally reflections is not required to be removed from sunset/sunrise beach shot, as there is usually no immediate texture details beneath the surface. unless you are shooting during bright day light of a beach with crystal clear water with sand or vegetations under shallow water where a polariser may be considered for such reasons, reflection is actually desired.

also, with sunset/sunrise, the sun is usually in the picture and perpendicularly in front of you or at slight vertical angle from you. polariser hardly is effective as most light is directional to you.

and since the sky color is usually not cool blue (except for late sunrise), but warm yellow-orange-magenta-pink hues, a polariser will not convert the colors into blue, let alone darkened blue

last of all, it is usually dim in sunset. polariser without tripod will cause handshake due to light cut down.

Precisely. That is why I don't understand nor see the need to put CPL and GND together, as some other people have indicated that they do.

I understand the physics behind the CPL and GND, thank you very much :) . I was not asking how they work, I was just wondering where some people are putting the both together.

I saw from the price list that Cokin only have smallest adaptor ring at 62mm? Is there any 52mm ones?
"Cokin 62mm Adaptor Ring (P) - S$15 CP-P"

Also, which Neutral Density Filter is recommended for beginner? Neutral Density Filter 4?

Cokin P adpator rings go from 48mm to 82mm, if I am not wrong. Call up Cathay Photo to ask.

Why do you need to Neutral Density filter for? Are you talking about Grad ND or pure ND?

Precisely. That is why I don't understand nor see the need to put CPL and GND together, as some other people have indicated that they do.

I understand the physics behind the CPL and GND, thank you very much :) . I was not asking how they work, I was just wondering where some people are putting the both together.

in very bright conditions where the sun is not parallel to the axis of lens and where there are strong tonal discrepancy (usually with a certain degree of backlighting from an angle).

in short, the two filters work with the neutral density portion for very bright condition, where some may want motion effects in bright condition at already the lowest ISO and the smallest aperture size.

the CPL helps in darkening the bright glare, while the GND helps to reduce the tonal difference. both helps to bring out the color of the sky.

like explained before, it is not meant for cutting off reflection or in sunset. GND however can be used in sunrise and sunset.

you can use both for normal shot as well... CPL is the deepen the blue and reduce reflection on water, and GND is to further darken the blueee sky... tho sometimes it looks a little fake when the sky gets too dark.
Another case is the use the CPL as a ND filter to achieve slower shutter speed.

so I don see why there is a problem to use both GND and CPL together, I tried it as well

Here is one that I tried sometime back, a little fake but then its a experiment afterall

You could get a step-up filter thread ring. Do you own any other lenses?

Why I'm asking is because you can step up from the filter thread diameter of 52mm to whatever thread size your other lenses are, then you can use the same filter holder for all your lenses.

Ah, I see. But I only own 1 kit lens now. :)

Cokin P adpator rings go from 48mm to 82mm, if I am not wrong. Call up Cathay Photo to ask.

Why do you need to Neutral Density filter for? Are you talking about Grad ND or pure ND?

Oh, I'm talking about GND. Thanks, I called CP and they told me they have 52mm adapter rings. Need for taking sunset. Any recommendation?
Are the ones PPCP selling are GND? eg. Neutral Density Filter 4

zoosh: are you saying that CPL+GND is not necessary for sunset/sunrise but its useful when taking landscape shots in bright light?

I understand and agree with you. I was just trying to calrify with those who say they use CPL +GND for sunset/sunrise.

you need to understand how they work and what situations they are used for first, with some practice on each.

generally reflections is not required to be removed from sunset/sunrise beach shot, as there is usually no immediate texture details beneath the surface. unless you are shooting during bright day light of a beach with crystal clear water with sand or vegetations under shallow water where a polariser may be considered for such reasons, reflection is actually desired.

also, with sunset/sunrise, the sun is usually in the picture and perpendicularly in front of you or at slight vertical angle from you. polariser hardly is effective as most light is directional to you.

and since the sky color is usually not cool blue (except for late sunrise), but warm yellow-orange-magenta-pink hues, a polariser will not convert the colors into blue, let alone darkened blue

last of all, it is usually dim in sunset. polariser without tripod will cause handshake due to light cut down.

in very bright conditions where the sun is not parallel to the axis of lens and where there are strong tonal discrepancy (usually with a certain degree of backlighting from an angle).

in short, the two filters work with the neutral density portion for very bright condition, where some may want motion effects in bright condition at already the lowest ISO and the smallest aperture size.

the CPL helps in darkening the bright glare, while the GND helps to reduce the tonal difference. both helps to bring out the color of the sky.

like explained before, it is not meant for cutting off reflection or in sunset. GND however can be used in sunrise and sunset.

i personally feel that it is not suitable for sunset but can be used for landscape shots in bright light. sunrise wise depends as it can be very bright. pre-sunrise should be similar to sunset.

however do check with the sunrise/sunset experts as i dun do them often.

Oh, I'm talking about GND. Thanks, I called CP and they told me they have 52mm adapter rings. Need for taking sunset. Any recommendation?
Are the ones PPCP selling are GND? eg. Neutral Density Filter 4

You are using a COKIN P system I presume? Just use the COKIN P grad filters?

i personally feel that it is not suitable for sunset but its useful when taking landscape shots in bright light. sunrise wise depends as it can be very bright. pre-sunrise should be similar to sunset.

however do check with the sunrise/sunset experts as i dun do them often.
I've tried it before, it does work, just not as much.

Especially at WA, if you are shooting the sun direct it makes no difference whatsoever, I agree, but when you have a wide expense of sky, you can think for yourself whether it does or not. I maintain in bringing along and trying it no matter what.

Those who give a straight out NO have obviously not tried it before, I can list you a number of photography books by experienced landscape photographers who distinctly mention their use of CPL during the sunset/sunrise timing, with the caution not to use a full polarisation due to unnatural colour.

You are using a COKIN P system I presume? Just use the COKIN P grad filters?

Yar, I guess that is the one I need? I'm new to this, need guidance still. ;)
Tianya from PPCP have GND filter? I see that they only sell ND ones? Or do I need to get cokin GND instead?
So in all, things I need is
1. Cokin P Holder
2. Cokin 52mm Adaptor Ring
3. Cokin or Tian Ya Gradual ND filter?

What is the difference between GND 2, 4 and 8?

I've tried it before, it does work, just not as much.

Especially at WA, if you are shooting the sun direct it makes no difference whatsoever, I agree, but when you have a wide expense of sky, you can think for yourself whether it does or not. I maintain in bringing along and trying it no matter what.

Those who give a straight out NO have obviously not tried it before, I can list you a number of photography books by experienced landscape photographers who distinctly mention their use of CPL during the sunset/sunrise timing, with the caution not to use a full polarisation due to unnatural colour.

i do use CPL during the later afternoon, but decreasingly use it during pre-sunset handheld. once it gets darker and darker, i dun use CPL, as the effect diminished, even on tripod. that is my personal style.

but do share if you have some good photos with such a technique on sunset or post-sunset, or if you have links to these works. you are the sunset man. ;)

Yar, I guess that is the one I need? I'm new to this, need guidance still. ;)
Tianya from PPCP have GND filter? I see that they only sell ND ones? Or do I need to get cokin GND instead?
So in all, things I need is
1. Cokin P Holder
2. Cokin 52mm Adaptor Ring
3. Cokin or Tian Ya Gradual ND filter?

What is the difference between GND 2, 4 and 8?

2, 4, 8 or 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 refers to the maximum number of stops (1-3) of light cut down, assuming the darkest part covers the whole lens. since it is graduated and the clear portion varies depends on how you slide and position it, the light cut down is not always the same

i do use CPL during the later afternoon, but decreasingly use it during pre-sunset handheld. once it gets darker and darker, i dun use CPL, as the effect diminished, even on tripod. that is my personal style.

but do share if you have some good photos with such a technique on sunset or post-sunset, or if you have links to these works. you are the sunset man. ;)
Well, most of my photos on sunsets less those from the Punggol beach onwards are taken with CPL, for the primary reason to minimize vignetting and too lazy to bring tripod because more busy these days so I have to lug it around the whole day if I want to bring, perhaps the next time I go take a sunset I will take 2 shots, one without CPL and one with CPL to prove my point, hehe. =D

2, 4, 8 or 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 refers to the maximum number of stops (1-3) of light cut down, assuming the darkest part covers the whole lens. since it is graduated and the clear portion varies depends on how you slide and position it, the light cut down is not always the same

Oh, I get it. Thanks. :)
Which is the one that is used more frequently/ commonly used? Is it 4, ie 0.6?

Well, most of my photos on sunsets less those from the Punggol beach onwards are taken with CPL, for the primary reason to minimize vignetting and too lazy to bring tripod because more busy these days so I have to lug it around the whole day if I want to bring, perhaps the next time I go take a sunset I will take 2 shots, one without CPL and one with CPL to prove my point, hehe. =D

Can I clarify:

1) you are using CPL alone for sunset shots?
2) CPL can minimize vignetting?

:confused:

Oh, I get it. Thanks. :)
Which is the one that is used more frequently/ commonly used? Is it 4, ie 0.6?

I personally have used a 0.9

Others may have a different opinion/experience :)

Status
Not open for further replies.