Landscape: GND, what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
any idea if CP has restocked their cokin GNDs? :)

before going bali, i got a 3 stop from them. but it is hard edged (they claim it is soft) and not stock for 1-2 stops. give them a call to check. number in my thread.

Thanks zoossh..
guess will be going down next week to see if they have it ;)

ppcp just say they will stock in about 10 days more. suggest you try out tianya filter. i'm trying it out too. if tianya is good, i may eventually get a set of singh ray for limited use and a few set of tianya for heavier duty use.

10 days? hrm...
wonder how many stop is their GND..
I am actually looking at cokin P121S .. already have 121M but not dark enough.

10 days? hrm...
wonder how many stop is their GND..
I am actually looking at cokin P121S .. already have 121M but not dark enough.

i'm not sure, got to ask hazmee. 121s seems to be 2 stop. i got a 3 stop from cathay and was told it is soft edge but it seemed a hard edge that is bad for my shots (as i'm not a beach sunset person). i'm trying to find my package casing to double check which model they have given me.

http://www.cokin.fr/ico3-p1-6.html

Hi Zoossh, thks for the info. Will Tianya's filter holder cause vignetting as well? Have you tried lee filters before? Heard that the latter's holder wun cause vignetting if i'm using a wide angle. I'm actually willing to spend more to get a quality one in terms of optical & durability. Which would you recommend?

Hi Zoossh, thks for the info. Will Tianya's filter holder cause vignetting as well? Have you tried lee filters before? Heard that the latter's holder wun cause vignetting if i'm using a wide angle. I'm actually willing to spend more to get a quality one in terms of optical & durability. Which would you recommend?
Hi there,

If you're willing to spend more, you could have a hard look at the Lee filters. Total damage would be roughly around S$450 or so but you won't be disappointed with it. I would recommend getting these:

1. 0.75 ND Gradient hard & soft version - About S$165 each. The good ones are made of glass and they don't scratch very easily plus much easier to clean as well. No colour cast too hence the hefty price tag.
2. The holder system - About S$100 plus
3. ND 8 filter - Forgotten about the price

Or

If the prices sends chill down your spine, you can settle for a much cheaper alternative:
1. Tianya 0.6 ND grad soft version - S$11.50. Because of the cheap plastic used, I get a slight green cast. The surface of the filter scratches very easily and its hard to clean. The corners get chipped easily from the usual knocks and bumps.
2. ND 8 filter - S$11.50
3. The plastic screw on holder - Check prices at PPCP. If you're using a cropped camera (e.g. 350D or D80), you wont see any vignetting. If you're using a fullframe, you might have to saw off some of the slots away like what I did for mine. Its quite a hassle to use actually.
The biggest problem with investing in Tianya filters is they're not available elsewhere except through ordering online and it might take weeks before the goods arrive.

Or

If you can't hardly wait, you can opt for Cokin system which is IMHO, not a great buy. You have to offset in total about S$50 more for the same items which you can get from the Tianya system.

On a lighter note: If you're going digital all the way, don't waste your money on colored filters. Post-production can do the job.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

3. The plastic screw on holder - Check prices at PPCP. If you're using a cropped camera (e.g. 350D or D80), you wont see any vignetting. If you're using a fullframe, you might have to saw off some of the slots away like what I did for mine. Its quite a hassle to use actually.

instead of trimming your filter holder you might just want to get the cokin wide angle holder instead. it is just one slot so it is much thinner. :D

instead of trimming your filter holder you might just want to get the cokin wide angle holder instead. it is just one slot so it is much thinner. :D
I wished you could have told me that earlier. LOL! :bsmilie:

I wished you could have told me that earlier. LOL! :bsmilie:

haha. it's in the filter price list:

Cokin
Cokin P holder (wide angle) - $12.20 CP
Cokin 1 slot Filter Holder - $16 CP
Cokin 3 slot Filter Holder - $13 CP
Cokin 77mm Adaptor Ring - $12.80 CP
Cokin 67mm Adaptor Ring - $14 CP
Cokin 62mm Adaptor Ring (P) - S$15 CP-P
Cokin Gradual ND2 (P) - $22.40 CP
Cokin Graduated Tobacco (P) - $28 CP
Cokin P007 Infrared (P) - $37 CP
Cokin P173 VARICOLORS Blue / Yellow - $56 CP
Cokin P830 Diffuser 1 - S$28 CP-P

Thks Hazmee. Thats a good review you've provided. Besides these, i've more questions on the filters & I hope you could help me out:

1. Will I need something additional like an adaptor to fix the filter or holder to my camera?
2. What kind of shots will require the hard or soft version of GND? I thought soft will be
applicable in most situations as it will look more natural in the color transitions?
3. Will the holder allow me to adjust the graduation angle if my composition were not
always 1/2 sky & 1/2 foreground?
4. Where can I purchase the set of Lee filters you've mentioned?

hope i'm not asking too much. :bsmilie:

haha. it's in the filter price list:

Cokin
Cokin P holder (wide angle) - $12.20 CP
Cokin 1 slot Filter Holder - $16 CP
Cokin 3 slot Filter Holder - $13 CP
Cokin 77mm Adaptor Ring - $12.80 CP
Cokin 67mm Adaptor Ring - $14 CP
Cokin 62mm Adaptor Ring (P) - S$15 CP-P
Cokin Gradual ND2 (P) - $22.40 CP
Cokin Graduated Tobacco (P) - $28 CP
Cokin P007 Infrared (P) - $37 CP
Cokin P173 VARICOLORS Blue / Yellow - $56 CP
Cokin P830 Diffuser 1 - S$28 CP-P

didn't know the 1 slot holder is different from the wide angle holder. i thought they are the same.

1. Will I need something additional like an adaptor to fix the filter or holder to my camera?

100mm adaptor/holder for lees. 84mm adaptor/holder for tianya, cokin, hitech, singh ray.

alternatively handheld or use blue tac

2. What kind of shots will require the hard or soft version of GND? I thought soft will be
applicable in most situations as it will look more natural in the color transitions?

hard edge for flat horizon/sea/sunset, soft edge for protrusion into horizon/mountain peaks. reverse hard edge for sunset (less dark to more dark near the sun at the horizon, then gradually clear again)

3. Will the holder allow me to adjust the graduation angle if my composition were not
always 1/2 sky & 1/2 foreground?

yes. it is rectangular. u can push up and down, and rotate like a circular filter. go to cokin's website to see.

4. Where can I purchase the set of Lee filters you've mentioned?

cathay.

yes! my doubts were all cleared :) . Thks to all the helpful fellow photographers esp. hazmee & zoossh...

For the LEE filter, get the WA adapter. There is also a screw mount for the polarizer (105mm diameter) which is useful as it should be on the outside if using multiple filters.

For the LEE filter, get the WA adapter. There is also a screw mount for the polarizer (105mm diameter) which is useful as it should be on the outside if using multiple filters.

Pardon me asking but why must the CPL be on the outside of the filters? If I use a 72mm CPL on the 18-200 VR followed by at most 1 or 2 GNDs/NDs, will it cause vignetting?

Wanted to get started with a Lee filter system but if I can only afford two filters, which two will be recommended? The filters will be used only with the 18-200 (my only lens ;p)

i just got the lee filters and tried it out yesterday. Dunno its my skill or wat but i dun find it useful. It doesnt seem to have any difference with my screw on CPL. :( I got the .75 GND (2.5 stop) & 3 x ND ( .3 .6 & .9). Spent $480 including the WA ring & holder. Any advise? Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.