Landscape: GND, what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon me asking but why must the CPL be on the outside of the filters? If I use a 72mm CPL on the 18-200 VR followed by at most 1 or 2 GNDs/NDs, will it cause vignetting?

Wanted to get started with a Lee filter system but if I can only afford two filters, which two will be recommended? The filters will be used only with the 18-200 (my only lens ;p)

Becoz after you mount the holder onto your lens, you cant turn your CPL. So you have to get the Lee CPL & ring adaptor to mount on the outside so you can turn. 18mm on 1.5x crop may not cause serious vignetting with up to 4 filters. I'm using 16-35 on full frame and at the widest end, i can only use up to 2 filters to prevent vignetting.

If you intend to get 2 filters, I would suggest a 2-3 stop GND & 3 stop ND. For the latter, its better to get the 3 NDs pack ( 1, 2 & 3 stop) @ $99 only as it cost about $40 each if you purchase them separately. Afterall, i've slightly regretted buying the set as I dun find any difference with my existing CPL or maybe I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

i just got the lee filters and tried it out yesterday. Dunno its my skill or wat but i dun find it useful. It doesnt seem to have any difference with my screw on CPL. :( I got the .75 GND (2.5 stop) & 3 x ND ( .3 .6 & .9). Spent $480 including the WA ring & holder. Any advise? Sigh...
Show us some pictures and we might be able to help. ;)

Becoz after you mount the holder onto your lens, you cant turn your CPL. So you have to get the Lee CPL & ring adaptor to mount on the outside so you can turn. 18mm on 1.5x crop may not cause serious vignetting with up to 4 filters. I'm using 16-35 on full frame and at the widest end, i can only use up to 2 filters to prevent vignetting.

If you intend to get 2 filters, I would suggest a 2-3 stop GND & 3 stop ND. For the latter, its better to get the 3 NDs pack ( 1, 2 & 3 stop) @ $99 only as it cost about $40 each if you purchase them separately. Afterall, i've slightly regretted buying the set as I dun find any difference with my existing CPL or maybe I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

Blah, can turn la, just need to do it properly and slowly. Of course it's quite a hassle but it can be done. Not like landscape photographs need haste, light doesn't last for 5 seconds only, etc. =)

I don't have money to get the wonderfully expensive Cokin CPL, so I stack my GND over the Hoya CPL I have, works fine for moi!

ok just update,
CP currently has no stock for GND. I've been told to check with them again around end of this month.. hmm

Might as well hitch on here, I just realised that with a 52mm filter thread size, the graduation achieved is pathetic compared to what the entire P-type filter can do.

Is it then true that larger filter thread size (larger lens surface area) also leads to a better usage of P-type filters?

I'm not sure, but I read that the effect is greater if you stop down the lens more . heehee

Guys, interested in getting the Tian Ya GND, but still unsure of the lens adapter ring stuffs.
For example, my lens is 52mm. If I were to get this Filter Holder, which lens adapter ring should I get?

Guys, interested in getting the Tian Ya GND, but still unsure of the lens adapter ring stuffs.
For example, my lens is 52mm. If I were to get this Filter Holder, which lens adapter ring should I get?
You mean, the lens filter size is 52mm.

In that case, get 52mm adaptor ring, isn't it obvious? =D

You mean, the lens filter size is 52mm.

In that case, get 52mm adaptor ring, isn't it obvious? =D

Yar, that's what I thought too. The thing is that PPCP doesn't have 52mm adaptor ring?
"Rings are available in 62, 67, 72 and 77mm"
So what do I need?

Guys, i bought a universal cokin adapter ring for my P series holder.. used it on my 10-20sigma and realised that vignetting is pretty serious at 10mm... basically u can see the whole ring of the holder... how do u guys solve this problem?... does that mean u guys dont shoot in 10mm?

And also seen some photos with nice smooth vignetting effect.. how do u achieve that instead of a hard blacken 4 corners that im having now?

Guys, i bought a universal cokin adapter ring for my P series holder.. used it on my 10-20sigma and realised that vignetting is pretty serious at 10mm... basically u can see the whole ring of the holder... how do u guys solve this problem?... does that mean u guys dont shoot in 10mm?

And also seen some photos with nice smooth vignetting effect.. how do u achieve that instead of a hard blacken 4 corners that im having now?
I skip the holder sometime, just hand held :sweat: .

But my Tian Ya holder don't have any vignetting problem (after remove 2 slot) on my Sigma 10-20mm.

Yar, that's what I thought too. The thing is that PPCP doesn't have 52mm adaptor ring?
"Rings are available in 62, 67, 72 and 77mm"
So what do I need?

Solution: Get a Cokin holder, and use Tianya filters on it.

Cokin has much more variety in that region. Anyways the price difference between Tianya and Cokin accessories doesn't seem much. Mainly big difference in filters.

Shoot in 10mm, then.. Remove the vignetting or crop.

I think that's what you can do.

For nice smooth vignetting, you can PS it out, remove your hard corners first, then use Filter --> Distort --> Lens Correctiont to add vignetting.

Solution: Get a Cokin holder, and use Tianya filters on it.

Cokin has much more variety in that region. Anyways the price difference between Tianya and Cokin accessories doesn't seem much. Mainly big difference in filters.

Ah, I see. Thanks! :D
From what I read, I can get Cokin from CP? Any other place I can get from?

I changed from Cokin P to Lee filters because Cokin P vignette at the 12mm end of the 12-24mm lens on my Nikon D200.

Lee filter system is more expensive than Cokin.

I don't see the need/have not tried shooting with BOTH a polarizer and a grad filter mounted.
For those who do it, care to share your reasons?
? to remove reflections from the water during sunset/sunrise shots???
? to give "blue" sky during sunset/sunrise shots???

I changed from Cokin P to Lee filters because Cokin P vignette at the 12mm end of the 12-24mm lens on my Nikon D200.

Lee filter system is more expensive than Cokin.

I don't see the need/have not tried shooting with BOTH a polarizer and a grad filter mounted.
For those who do it, care to share your reasons?
? to remove reflections from the water during sunset/sunrise shots???
? to give "blue" sky during sunset/sunrise shots???

you need to understand how they work and what situations they are used for first, with some practice on each.

generally reflections is not required to be removed from sunset/sunrise beach shot, as there is usually no immediate texture details beneath the surface. unless you are shooting during bright day light of a beach with crystal clear water with sand or vegetations under shallow water where a polariser may be considered for such reasons, reflection is actually desired.

also, with sunset/sunrise, the sun is usually in the picture and perpendicularly in front of you or at slight vertical angle from you. polariser hardly is effective as most light is directional to you.

and since the sky color is usually not cool blue (except for late sunrise), but warm yellow-orange-magenta-pink hues, a polariser will not convert the colors into blue, let alone darkened blue

last of all, it is usually dim in sunset. polariser without tripod will cause handshake due to light cut down.

Shoot in 10mm, then.. Remove the vignetting or crop.

I think that's what you can do.

For nice smooth vignetting, you can PS it out, remove your hard corners first, then use Filter --> Distort --> Lens Correctiont to add vignetting.

im using ps 7.0.... it doesnt seem to have 'Lens Correction'.... anybody know other way to produce nice vignetting?

I saw from the price list that Cokin only have smallest adaptor ring at 62mm? Is there any 52mm ones?
"Cokin 62mm Adaptor Ring (P) - S$15 CP-P"

Also, which Neutral Density Filter is recommended for beginner? Neutral Density Filter 4?

get someone to buy Tian Ya ones for you from China lor.
They have 52mm ring mounts

cheap and good

Status
Not open for further replies.