Lament of a tired poster

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prakjasmi

Lately, I've been wondering what the difference is between a posting that is FYI in nature and a posting that is SPAM in nature.

For example, let say that you come across something that saves you money (ie free coupon codes, sms 411, one day sales ads, etc) and you want to pass it along in a post, you could run into serious trouble if you include a link or a company name.

Yet without those information, how can anyone act on the information in the posting when the web is so big and people being too busy to search for it themselves? The very tool that is designed to save us time, ie html links, gets subverted by the SPAMMERS and attracts the ires of the moderators.

So what's a poster to do. One one hand, I want to post the cool stuff I find on the web. On the other hand, I'm afraid of being banned. So now what?

I don't think the mods have any issues with people posting links which would interest the community in the Kopitiam section.

What links you got to share? :)

thanks for answering. I don't have anything specific to post but the place that has saved me the most money in the past is fatwallet.com. They have lots of coupon and ad sales.

Also, since I reside in the US, I was able to save on 411 charges by using a new sms based 411 service. You can google "sms 411" if you want to find the companies that offer these services.

I think it's good to share good deals that we have, and here's my contribution. I use dealcatcher.com and pricegrabber.com most frequently. Quite similar to the link that prakjasmi posted. Have fun shopping. :)

there were irrelevant links (and some relevant ones resulting in "points" for the poster) and new nicks created just to post "deals" in multiple threads.

prakjasmi, it's interesting too that u became a tired poster after just 2 postings here..... were u sharing experience from elsewhere?

Here's my take on link posting:

If a link is useful and doesn't include a referrer ID or other method of allowing the referrer (poster) any form of recompense and it's to a legitimate site that is of likely interest to photographers based in Singapore and SE Asia then I'll tend to let it stay in place.

If however a user multiple posts (spams) the URL or if it has a referrer ID or similar, or if it is not of legitimate interest (eg: www.cows*x.com) then it should be removed pronto.

Perhaps one of the Admins would like to post some guidelines!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.