Klose's #2 Outing - Plane Spotting

Status
Not open for further replies.
JediForce4ever said:
Yes and I know that he is referring to me. calling me a fool??

I think there is a concern here amongst the regular spotter/photographers. If you guys, who are relatively new to the spotting scene, start going out to shoot blatantly at Changi, its going to spoil the scene for the regulars. The police have so far been somewhat tolerant of the regular spotters as long as they stay out of the more sensitive spots as mentioned in the past postings. If the cops start noticing large groups congregating near the fenceline, they are going to clamp down on all spotting activities. As such, many choice spots which used to be open near the fence have since been closed down.

Most of the regulars don't go out in large groups. If they do, its usually at the viewing mall in T1, a publicly accessible place where crowds aren't unusual and the views are not too bad.

I'd urge you guys (again) to head to the beach or the viewing mall to keep with the status quo. Hope you can all keep the peace.

Hi Jeremyftk,

I agree with Terence that your tone was uncalled for. Basically, for us, our purpose in gathering in an outings is to learn from another in perfecting our skills in photography.

Naturally along the way, experience pple like you and Terence for example who have numerous shooting experience can share valueable tips & experience with us. Trust me we do take heed of all the advices extended to us.

I don't know what remarks have piss you off. But lets put it aside cos life too short to bear grudges. Don't let this incident damper the spirit of OUTING.

any more advice? any one?

cheers

If shooting from the beach or the viewing mall, something like a 70-300mm should cover most situations. A shorter 28-105 or similar should cover instances when you need something a little wider, like when the aircraft pulls up to the gate.

Shooting at the viewing mall allows you to get shots of the airplanes at the boarding gates, a nice closeup view. You can sometimes see what the pilots are doing on the flightdeck too.

Check the arrival and departure boards and see what's coming or going so you can anticipate the subjects. RW 20 is generally in use at this time of the year. If you're standing at the T1 viewing area, that's the runway where the airplanes are landing from right to left. That runway is called RW20R. The other one, when viewed from the closed up T2 viewing area is called RW20C. Generally, 20R is the landing runway and 20C is the takeoff runway. That is of course subject to change but its usually the case. Sometimes both runways are used for landings.

Bring water along, especially if you're shooting outside. A cap and rain protection would be advisable too, though Changi Beach has sheltered areas to take cover at should the heavens open up.

Changi is roughly oriented in a north-south direction, the sun position is quite regular. In the mornings, shoot on the easterly sides of the runways, this means the T1 viewing area is great for morning shots. In the afternoons, shoot westerly, I'd go to the Beach for this one.

This is a typical angle as shot from Changi Beach. You can get nice side on shots too as the aircraft approaches. This Speedbird is on approach to 20R.

jp2z89813sk.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any more questions, feel free to email me at cs@aeroframes.net

Aviation photography/spotting is a rewarding hobby with a large worldwide following. Changi is not too bad in terms for variety of traffic, so enjoy your day out and stay clear of trouble!

Terence said:
I think there is a concern here amongst the regular spotter/photographers. If you guys, who are relatively new to the spotting scene, start going out to shoot blatantly at Changi, its going to spoil the scene for the regulars. The police have so far been somewhat tolerant of the regular spotters as long as they stay out of the more sensitive spots as mentioned in the past postings. If the cops start noticing large groups congregating near the fenceline, they are going to clamp down on all spotting activities. As such, many choice spots which used to be open near the fence have since been closed down.

Most of the regulars don't go out in large groups. If they do, its usually at the viewing mall in T1, a publicly accessible place where crowds aren't unusual and the views are not too bad.

I'd urge you guys (again) to head to the beach or the viewing mall to keep with the status quo. Hope you can all keep the peace.
Thank you for that advice Terence.:) However the organisers of this outing did not even speak of going to the fence. As we have been warned countless times....no going to the fence.
Cheers.

JediForce4ever said:
Yes and I know that he is referring to me. calling me a fool??

maybe me ?? :think:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

k3nn3th03 said:
maybe me ?? :think:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:
not you lah....he was pinpointing at me:
some fools think they know enough to give a talk when they are nothing more than a bunch of goons who can't shoot for nuts and have lousy fungus infested equipment and claim to know a lot about aviation.
Hmm....Kenneth, maybe you can PM him for more advice.;)

jeremyftk said:
Hey everyone,

Let me point out a few points before you do any shooting. Follow these or I'll shoot you myself if I find out who you are. I'm not joking and I have ways to find out. Some of the members who actually know me should know how seriously I take certain matters.

1. DO NOT attempt to go anywhere the fence. Especially in a large group.

2. DO NOT shoot along the Changi Coastal Rd for the same reason as above.

3. Stay in the terminal. You can still get some decent shots in the morning and till about 2pm without having to worry about reflections on the glass. You can still get great shots from here.

4. If you really want to get out of the terminal, head on down to Changi Beach. Go no further than here. I'm serious unless you want a free ride in a police car and a bashing from me.

5. PM me if you want advice on shooting at Changi. I will not discuss such matters on the board because some fools think they know enough to give a talk when they are nothing more than a bunch of goons who can't shoot for nuts and have lousy fungus infested equipment and claim to know a lot about aviation.

Go analyse some more pictures and effing use your brains idiot. You wanna get into trouble with the law, do it yourself and don't drag others down with you. And above all DO NOT RUIN THE NAME AND REPUTATION OF LOCAL SPOTTERS!

Frankly, I dont like your tone. As the organiser, I never once mentioned that we will be shooting along the perimeter fence, airport security has been tightened after 9/11, likewise in critical installations and military bases. What I did mention was that we will be shooting from Location 1 and 2 which are along Changi Beach if we do venture out of the viewing gallery in T1. The purpose of this outing was too allow other photogs including myself to learn more about plane spotting. A bashing from you? This is really uncalled for and from my pov, it makes you look really childish. If you arent keen to share your knowledge here and want people to pm you, fine with me. I can always look up Terence who has been posting numerous tips on plane spotting for us. Regarding, on goons who cant shoot for nuts. this is another uncalled for statement. Can I see your portfolio? Getting in trouble with the law? Runing the name and reputation of local spotters? I dont see a connection with organising this outing. If you have any personal problems with one of the guys here, settle it through pm, email, instant messaging or whatever avenue that is available. It's polluting my outing thread. Tango Yankee.

Anyway, thumbs up to Terence :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: who has been providing us with plenty of tips. ;)

This Outing is a Go regardless of whatsoever "threats"

Well, I am working near the Changi Beach and used to serve my NS near the
area too.
It is a good spot for catching the landing birds without getting into unwanted
troubles since security are more tighter now than last time..

Start the ball rolling for this Sunday's outing. Add yourself to the list and pme me your name ad contact details. Thanks.

1. Klose
2. JediForce4ever

Start the ball rolling for this Sunday's outing. Add yourself to the list and pme me your name ad contact details. Thanks.

1. Klose
2. JediForce4ever
3. donchua

Klose, you got my contact, right?

Klose said:
Actual outing details will be posted tomorrow. Here's the tentative plan which has been discussed briefly with JediForce4ever. He's will give a small talk on the fun things about plane spotting (It's not just taking photos of planes) :)

Tentative Schedule

Date: 2nd October 2005
TARGET: Metal Birds
Shooting Location: Changi Intl and Perimeter Area
Duration: Refer to Photog's Schedule
Participation is Free, you just need to find your own way there and back home.

Meeting Place: Changi Airport MRT Station
Meeting Time: Refer to Photog's Schedule
Attire: Casual wear (shorts will be a good idea as it will be hot when we wonder arnd the perimeter)

Things to Bring: Camera equipment, tripod/monopod (optional), wet weather protection, combat rations + green army bottle - zoom lenses of 200mm and above will be a good idea.

Photog's Schedule

1030 - Meet at Changi Airport BK (Terminal 1)
1100 - Proceed to viewing mall
1230 - Lunch at either food court,staff canteen or BK.
1345 - Bus to Changi Beach
1430 - Arrive at Changi Beach. Location 1.
1600 - proceed to Location 2.
1730 - OTOT + Home Sweet Home + Dinner if you guys want

Klose said:
Frankly, I dont like your tone. As the organiser, I never once mentioned that we will be shooting along the perimeter fence, airport security has been tightened after 9/11, likewise in critical installations and military bases. What I did mention was that we will be shooting from Location 1 and 2 which are along Changi Beach if we do venture out of the viewing gallery in T1. The purpose of this outing was too allow other photogs including myself to learn more about plane spotting. A bashing from you? This is really uncalled for and from my pov, it makes you look really childish. If you arent keen to share your knowledge here and want people to pm you, fine with me. I can always look up Terence who has been posting numerous tips on plane spotting for us. Regarding, on goons who cant shoot for nuts. this is another uncalled for statement. Can I see your portfolio? Getting in trouble with the law? Runing the name and reputation of local spotters? I dont see a connection with organising this outing. If you have any personal problems with one of the guys here, settle it through pm, email, instant messaging or whatever avenue that is available. It's polluting my outing thread. Tango Yankee.

Anyway, thumbs up to Terence who has been providing us with plenty of tips.

This Outing is a Go regardless of whatsoever "threats"

If you call this "polluting you thread", you ought to think about why it even started in the first place.

Firstly, compare your 2 threads before you give me anymore crap. You said perimeter area which means the fence. So do you dare deny this? If you think it's a misunderstanding, then it is your fault that you did not clarify.

Secondly, the bashing part was meant to be a smiley bashing. Since you can't take a joke, I shall not joke with you.

Thirdly, if you want to look for Terence, go ahead by all means. I prefer to tell only when people ask. Call me lazy or selfish for all I care but that's my style. Also, my tone is something you have to hear before you decide whether or not you like it.

Lastly, though I do not have a portfolio as impressive as Terence's, at least I have one that's better than some peoples.

And if you are so easily threatened, go dig yourself a hole to hide in.

Regards.

If you regard yourself so highly, then good luck in life for you. Dig a hole? Have u dug a trench before? I doubt you have.

jeremyftk said:
If you call this "polluting you thread", you ought to think about why it even started in the first place.

Firstly, compare your 2 threads before you give me anymore crap. You said perimeter area which means the fence. So do you dare deny this? If you think it's a misunderstanding, then it is your fault that you did not clarify.

Secondly, the bashing part was meant to be a smiley bashing. Since you can't take a joke, I shall not joke with you.

Thirdly, if you want to look for Terence, go ahead by all means. I prefer to tell only when people ask. Call me lazy or selfish for all I care but that's my style. Also, my tone is something you have to hear before you decide whether or not you like it.

Lastly, though I do not have a portfolio as impressive as Terence's, at least I have one that's better than some peoples.

And if you are so easily threatened, go dig yourself a hole to hide in.

Regards.

Yawn.

Good luck to you too. You'll need it with a "mouth" like yours. And happy diggin trenches.

I wasn't talking about the language. You still don't know how to read carefully. Read and get the actual meaning in the post then come back to me.

I'm sure you have a genuine concern... but if you had put it across in a better manner, you would get a better response. I don't know what happened beforehand, but to come in blazing and firing does not help your cause.

jeremyftk said:
I wasn't talking about the language. You still don't know how to read carefully. Read and get the actual meaning in the post then come back to me.

This sort of attitude isn't going to help things Jeremy. These guys are keen to do their outing so instead of bashing them, perhaps the best way to handle this sensitive topic is to provide practical advice instead of engaging in more bickering.

They've already said they'd keep away from the fenceline so we should all move on from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.