King Tiger's World War 2 Battlefield Tour (Europe)

6. Carentan

The Battle of Carentan took place between 10 and 15 June 1944, on the approaches to and within the city of Carentan, France.

The objective was to consolidate the U.S. beachheads (Utah Beach and Omaha Beach) and establishment of a continuous defensive line against expected German counterattacks.
The defending German force attempted to hold the city long enough to allow reinforcements en route from the south to arrive,
prevent or delay the merging of the lodgments, and keep the U.S. First Army from launching an attack that would cut off the Cotentin Peninsula.

In the ensuing battle, 101st Airborne Division forced passage across the causeway into Carentan on 10 June and 11 June.
Only through a small corridor, from the north, the 101st Airborne Divison attack Carentan.
Carentan was defended by the 6th Parachute Regiment, two Ost battalions and remnants of other German forces.
To get Carentan and get hold of this important crossroad came at a great price, almost half of the 101st Airborne was lost.

Fire fight as shown in HBO series “Band of Brothers”
dd4bc3cf.jpg

The action in Carentan as shown in HBO series “Band of Brothers”
[vid]nJVcRqqfdbs[/vid]

Last edited:
Nice series, and thanks for sharing, KT! Especially like the shot at Omaha Beach.

I have a suggestion, why not use "May 2010" instead of "Present day" for your shots? I'm sure this thread will still be viewed by many in years to come!

Bro, this is a FASCINATING thread! Much tks for sharing with us! :)

Thanks munwei.
Stay tune for more. :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing..
I wan such a trip in the future.. :thumbsup:

Thanks, ahlionel.
May your dream come true.

Last edited:
Hi King Tiger,
really enjoyed the comparison "then and now" photos, thanks for sharing :)

Halo Bro, thanks, long time no see.

Pacific Tour ? ;p Pearl Habour can count ?

Hmm... I would think Iwo Jima ? Okinawa? Guadacanal ? ...

The simplest one lah .... Singapore ! :sweat::p

Hi King Tiger,
really enjoyed the comparison "then and now" photos, thanks for sharing :)

Thanks nutek :)

Nice series, and thanks for sharing, KT! Especially like the shot at Omaha Beach.

I have a suggestion, why not use "May 2010" instead of "Present day" for your shots? I'm sure this thread will still be viewed by many in years to come!

Hi huggable
Thanks, yes, Omaha Beach is my favourite shots.

Thank you for suggestion too :thumbsup:, May 2010 would be more appropriate, I will update all shortly. ;)

Last edited:
Hmm... I would think Iwo Jima ? Okinawa? Guadacanal ? ...

The simplest one lah .... Singapore ! :sweat::p

Haha
Already do research on it.
Iwo Jima - Out of bound to public cos military base
Okinawa - Can go, plus shopping and sushi too
Guadacanal - A bit challenging, must tranist via Sydney, must buy insect repellent, mosquito net and etc, plus my wife will kill me for sure
Midway Island - Also challenging too, must transit via Narita Airport, Hawaii, then Midway, alot of bird at Midway Island
Philippines - Manila and island near Leyte Gulf
Malaysia - Kota Bahru, Penang, Muar, Kota Tinggi

And course, Singapore :cool:

Last edited:
Your dedication and passion is highly admirable. RESPECT!
All these research and execution should not go to waste. I think you should do something to preserve them, or give lectures or something. e.g. You got me interested to know more about WWII history. (I hated history)
Major respect for you.

Your dedication and passion is highly admirable. RESPECT!
All these research and execution should not go to waste. I think you should do something to preserve them, or give lectures or something. e.g. You got me interested to know more about WWII history. (I hated history)
Major respect for you.

Thanks, emlee.
Thank you for your compliment and encouragement.
I am more happy to share with you all.

At the end of the day, my intention is to put all the efforts done into one album
with all the photographs and research materials.

Pearl habour, no, cannot count....

Iwo Jima will be more interesting...

Iwo Jima would definitely be interesting cos nobody can go there except Military Personnel and Veterans. :cry:
Got lobang ?

If yes, we can do a Before and After at Mount Suribachi. :sweat:

314d6dbf.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1944 - Carentan after the battle
18741ae1.jpg

May 2010 - Peaceful Carentan today. Notice the building behind the status fully restore to it's original condition
30fd0ee9.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1944 - US Paratroopers in prayer sessions.
Soldiers not wounded in combat are nevertheless casualties of war.
For the wound in the soul are greater than the wound in the flesh.
8a008e80.jpg

May 2010 - Status at Carentan
This is actually an WWI memorial status, a plate contains WWII was added to commerate as well.
99f6fd81.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1944 - After Carentan was liberated by 101st Airborne, a service was done to commerate this event,
flowers were being brought up and place on the status by local population
c4a35f4c.jpg

May 2010 - Carentan. Same place, same status, uneraseable memory from the local population of 4 years of harsh occupation
Local popluation never forget, flowers have been maintain and place there from time to time till today.
88269421.jpg

Last edited:
nice one !! I like war history as well.. but too bad my wife dun like it at all