King Tiger's World War 2 Battlefield Tour (Europe)

8. Utah Beach

Utah Beach is 5 km long and on the the right flank of the Allied landing beaches during the D-Day invasion of Normandy, as part of Operation Overlord on 6 June 1944.
The US 4th Infantry Division landed with relatively little resistance, in contrast to Omaha Beach, where the fighting was fierce.

By the end of D-Day, some 23,250 troops had safely landed on the beach, along with 1,700 vehicles.
About 200 casualties were recorded during the landings.

Several factors contributed to the success at Utah compared to the bloody battle at nearby Omaha:

Fewer German fortifications: The defence of the area was largely based on flooding the coastal plain behind the beaches, and there were fewer bunkers.
Effective pre-invasion bombardment: Many of the known large bunkers, such as the coastal battery near Saint-Martin-de-Varreville, were destroyed from the air prior to D-Day.
B-26 Marauder medium bombers of the US Ninth Air Force, flying below 5,000 feet (1,500 m), provided close air support for the assaulting forces.
DD tanks: Nearly all of these swimming tanks made the beach because they were launched half as far out as at Omaha and were able to steer into the current more effectively to avoid swamping in the rough seas.
Mis-landings: Because most of the invasion force landed opposite Exit 2, this one was the most used; other exits were more heavily fortified.
Paratroopers: The most significant difference was the 13,000 men from the 101st Airborne Division and the 82nd Airborne Division already fighting inland.
For five hours before the first Utah landings, the paratroopers (and glider forces) had been fighting their way toward the beach, clearing the enemy from positions along the exits.
The paratroopers also greatly confused the enemy and prevented any significant counterattack to the landing area.

US Troops landing at Utah Beach.
1d4f8c1a.jpg

Utah Beach landing as shown in the movie "The Longest Day".
[vid]uNBhtlvs0MI[/vid]

Last edited:
Admire your dedication and passion for WW2 history! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Such battlefield tours, I could only dream of. Perhaps in future. Right now, can start on local ones only. heh. :sweatsm:

great... thanks for sharing such knowledge.. better then some others who always post nonsense replies.
Hope to see more photos from you thanks again:cool:

Love the latest set of pics :thumbsup:

Thanks Omega23, Numnumball.
More photos on the way.

Awesome coverage King Tiger. I doubt my other half will be willing to permit such a trip of this itinery.

Thanks stonefish35.
Hope your dream can come true one day.
Hint : You can tell your partner that the countryside people in Normandy are very nice and warm (which is true),
can go and relax, enjoy the seaside along Normandy coast.

I came across lots of photos here though I'm sure you already know. Your thread made me watch Saving Private Ryan for a 3rd time.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/remembering_d-day_66_years_ago.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnormandie/

Thank you very much, ManWearPants. :)
Hope you like the thread.
Do watch "Band of Brothers", "The Longest Day" and "A Bridge Too Far" if you have the DVDs.
These are one of the few excellent and quality war movies.

Also, thanks for the link, infact, the photos from your link are more of the better and higher resolution than I have found elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Admire your dedication and passion for WW2 history! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Such battlefield tours, I could only dream of. Perhaps in future. Right now, can start on local ones only. heh. :sweatsm:

Thanks, sbs99. :)
May your dream come true in future.

Last edited:
Jun 1944 - Anti tank obstacles at Utah Beach
83c9bbdd.jpg

May 2010 - Anti tank obstacle at Utah Beach **
96dc8339.jpg

** Anti tank obstacle have been shift from the beach to inner location at Utah beach

The sign "KM 00" mean this is the starting point of liberation and being with 00.
For every kilometer, there will be the next sign "KM01", "KM02", "KM03" and etc.
There will be every sign in every kilometer, all the way to Paris, Bastogne and etc.
886bdab3.jpg

I bought it a few years back and it was the old dvd with two sides, DVD from Taiwan.

I'll pm you if I find one at some shops here.

Cheers.

Thanks xtemujin.
I am actually looking for the DVD of Guns of Navarone, but I can't find it in most DVD shops. (TS, Laser Fair and etc)