King Tiger's World War 2 Battlefield Tour (Europe)

4. La Fière

La Fière was an important bridge to secure on the western flank of Normandy (as important as Pegasus Bridge on eastern flank)
The bridge at La Fière is the main thrust for US Armour Division from Utah Beach, failure to secure the bridge, US armour will be stuck in Utah beachhead.
It was at La Fière, the Germans launch consistent heavy armour and infantry counter attack.
Units of 82nd Airborne repulse the counter attack and hold firm on the bridge, but take heavy casualties on their side.

The last battle scence of the movie “Saving Private Ryan” was heavily influenced by the battles fought at La Fière.

Documentary of US 82nd Airborne at La Fière (By the way, this is a very good documentary :thumbsup:, do see if you have the time)
[vid]qctVG9mS54g[/vid]

Last edited:
intersting,, pls continue to post.

Touring around is one thing, but man, i suppose u did a lot of preparation work to find all those pictures and replicate the composition in your shots. It's a remarkable effort to reproduce the scene which allow viewers to appreciate the place even more. Nice effort! :thumbsup:

Touring around is one thing, but man, i suppose u did a lot of preparation work to find all those pictures and replicate the composition in your shots. It's a remarkable effort to reproduce the scene which allow viewers to appreciate the place even more. Nice effort! :thumbsup:

Thanks kuantoh.
My friends actually say I am crazy when I bring up this ideas to them.
But I just follow my heart and enjoy what I feel comfortable about it, the very fortunate is that I have the support from my wife.
Yes, alot of preparation and detailed planning was done.
Gathering and compilation of all the photos and information are quite tough, but I enjoyed the process very much.

Last edited:
From the map, one can obvious see that this is the only causeway for a major punch of German armours counterattack towards Utah Beachhead.
The bridge of La Fière is at the bottom.

328e48b2.jpg

Last edited:
Once the Germans realise that the causeway is the main crossings, the Germans immediate gather all the nearby available resources for a full counter-attack towards the bridge.

2d9fc8bc.jpg

Last edited:
Today, many people would have drive pass this innocent little bridge without realising its significance to the US landing on Utah Beach on D Day, 6th June 1944.
On D-Day, this field was flooded by the Germans. The Germans have jammed the lock on a dam to flood a lot of fields that were potential for airborne landing site.

The capture of the bridge at La Fière early on D Day was vital.

f8f66900.jpg

Last edited:
A small contingent of men from the 82nd Airborne and the 505th of the 101st formed a defense on the bridge.
They have one job to do: Hold the bridge at all cost until the men from the beach arrived.

10a4647c.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1944 - The fighting drag across the whole causeway, nearby houses were not spare of the destruction
eb38dca4.jpg

May 2010 - After the war, local population rebuilt their home to the origin, every doors, every windows, every bricks
33e7ac7d.jpg

Last edited:
** Reserve **
Page reserve for sneak preview of photo shots at Battle of Bulge areas.

** Update as at 24 May 2010. **

Stavelot Dec 1944
d21d0744.jpg

Stavelot Present Day
531b8361.jpg

I like this the best. How did you manage to find it? Amazing series. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing.

Message of Memorial at La Fière
Below the book is the badge of 82nd and 101st Airborne Division

TO PASS ON THE MEMORY
TO REMIND THAT TODAY
WE LIVE IN PEACE
FREEDOM AND DIGNITY
BECAUSE OTHERS
GAVE THEIR LIVE FOR US

3b7422a2.jpg

Last edited: