karaoke neighbours @ 1am, what to do?

If blasting, you may be able to zero in on the flat. What's the music - Indian or Chinese or Malay or other language? The police may not be enthusiastic to help you solve this. They prefer to score points for promotion by cracking drug busts or sensational murders. You may have to tell them that you may complain to the MP or Police Commisioner if they don't act on it.

I don't think it's so much of a scoring points for promotion thingy like you said but more of, there's nothing much they can do except issue warnings. What else you expect? Press charges against the people causing the noise and waste taxpayers' money bringing them to court? That's why for one-off situations they are usually less "enthu" about it but it'll be a different case if the noise pollution is persistent...

Anyways TS hasn't replied in two days so I suppose maybe it's just a one-off case.

Not really. I've been reading comments. They ended around 1.45 yesterday and today as well. Parents bochap so I just tahan a bit lor. Wednesday night already shouted one time "shut up" liao.

Ah, if that's the case you could call the police and let them know it's a persistent problem. Forgot what's the non-emergency number to call though. :confused:

Ah, if that's the case you could call the police and let them know it's a persistent problem. Forgot what's the non-emergency number to call though. :confused:

Nearest Police Station
Sengkang Neighbourhood Police Centre (NPC)
2 Sengkang Square
#01-02 Singapore 545025
Tel: 1800 343-8999 (toll-free)
Fax: 6343-8939

google can leads you to more neighbourhood stations..

Sure or not?
This kind of simple matter oso need to seek advice here?
If your gentleman go knock on their door and ask them nicely.
If that dosen't work, RC, Town Council, and police are your next best options.

Sure or not?
This kind of simple matter oso need to seek advice here?
If your gentleman go knock on their door and ask them nicely.
If that dosen't work, RC, Town Council, and police are your next best options.

no! direct confrontation is strongly not advised. you never know how the other party will react. what if this episode ends with stabbing.. :nono:

no! direct confrontation is strongly not advised. you never know how the other party will react. what if this episode ends with stabbing.. :nono:

Living in HDB or Harlem? :dunno:

Confrontation? Please lah, I don't think anyone is advocating going to their house and yelling at them or making a personal attack. On the few occasions this issue has cropped up, I've gone to the house, politely indicated what they were doing was disturbing me (I cannot speak on behalf the rest of the neighbours of course). Most of the time they are apologetic. If they get defensive or agitated I say 'good night' and walk away -- don't get drawn into an argument. Even if they are defensive (I think this is a 'face-saving' mechanism) they usually turn down the music/stop the noise after I leave.

A quietly spoken "Excuse me, the music is a little loud for this time of night," is less offensive and gets better response than "Oi! You got no consideration for your neighbours issit?"

If they can't be bothered, then go ahead and make a complaint.

Some would be more embarrassed and offended if you call the cops on them without speaking to them first. I think I would.

Don't you think good neighbours should be willing to sort out issues like these amicably, without getting personal and without needing to call in the authorities at the drop of a hat? :)

fine; i am just trying to play cautious.. you never know who you are going to face! sometimes it ain't so simple as turning your back n walk off... Take care.

Noise Pollution

To register complaints or find out more about NEA’s noise pollution regulations, please contact the NEA Call Centre at 1800-CALL-NEA (1800-2255 632).

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/topics_noise.aspx

I called before. Took them more than 2 hrs to come down. So you might wanna call early.

Like some of the bros mentioned, video record, ask your friendly MP to do something about it ..

Ryan

Oddly I've been on the receiving end before! Hahaha
Quite frustrating, I had my neighbour from downstairs knock on my door at 1.45am telling me to cut out the drilling
I told him it wasn't me, I heard the noise too (reading soccer news and results myself)
But he wouldn't take no for an answer, got agitated, just told me to shut up whatever I was doing else he would call the cops
After ranting he walked away
Me puzzled and a lil' chuffed went back to my room
And whaddya know, 5mins later the noise stopped!
Probably still thinks I'm the culprit Hahaha
Though everytime I pass him by the void deck he looks embarassed, doesn't return my smiles nor waves, doh

Yeah, that's the prob with noise in flats, hard to tell which unit it's coming from, unless you're just outside while the noise is being made. I assume there was no drilling while he was at your door?
Once I heard someone hammering away at 2am, thought it was from upstairs. Walked out, followed the sound, it turned out to be someone 3 floors down.

Quite frustrating, I had my neighbour from downstairs knock on my door at 1.45am telling me to cut out the drilling
I told him it wasn't me, I heard the noise too (reading soccer news and results myself)
But he wouldn't take no for an answer, got agitated, just told me to shut up whatever I was doing else he would call the cops

Go over there and introduce yourself, then ask to borrow money. Do this every night, until they damn scared, lock up and turn off the lights and pretend already sleeping.

If they no money then ask to borrow sugar.

So, it's 1am. karaoke neighbours are blasting. They're in your block, near you (the sound is transmitting through the building structure). What would be practical ways to shut them up when you don't know exactly who is doing it?

maybe you can try to have your karaoke session at 5-6am? Make sure speaker face them. :bsmilie:

Yeah, that's the prob with noise in flats, hard to tell which unit it's coming from, unless you're just outside while the noise is being made. I assume there was no drilling while he was at your door?
Once I heard someone hammering away at 2am, thought it was from upstairs. Walked out, followed the sound, it turned out to be someone 3 floors down.

Yes haha just one of those embarrassing coincidences. The noise stopped when he was talking to me
Instantly promoted me from primo suspect to guilty offender! :bsmilie:

Yup thats very true. My neighbour upstairs have young children that like to play with marbles. Drops on the floor and makes a lot of sound, not particularly loud though. The neighbour downstairs come to our unit to complain. We invited him in to sit for half an hour, no sound from our unit, and he heard the sound coming from upstairs.

BUT, whenever the marbles drop, he comes up to our unit to tell us to be more considerate. What kind of a moron is that?

write complain letter to hdb that your downstair neighbour complain about you for noise cause by your upstairs neighbour. Maybe scr3w them in a nice way for making the floors and walls so capable of transmitting noise even after more than 40 years of building flats.:bsmilie:

TS can attempt to switch off the power to the housing unit by flipping either the two pole isolator main switch or the two pole Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB) located just above the AC kilowatt-hour meter along every corridors.

For a double combo effect, TS can also lock the switches after flipping them off. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Some funny suggestions lol, seriously try not to think you are the law. Just call the police and if that doesn't work fast enough then politely ask them to lower the noise (get your kids to ask or grandma). Your night shouldn't have to be compromised by unwarranted noise especially when most people are expected to be asleep.

Yup thats very true. My neighbour upstairs have young children that like to play with marbles. Drops on the floor and makes a lot of sound, not particularly loud though. The neighbour downstairs come to our unit to complain. We invited him in to sit for half an hour, no sound from our unit, and he heard the sound coming from upstairs.

BUT, whenever the marbles drop, he comes up to our unit to tell us to be more considerate. What kind of a moron is that?

maybe you can convince your neighbour to sing lullaby or soothing ballads... win win situation here. They get to sing and you get to sleep.

R u sure tt the marbles are played by ur neighbors' children upstairs n not ur unseen flatmates in ur flat. There's a lot of stories about marbles sound in hdb flats at nights.