K100d or Canon powershot

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have finally save up for my k100d when my friend told me about this canon powershot s5 in straits time digital life today going at 799 ( not to include hidden charges ). By the way, i was about to visit SLS to get my pentax this weekend. i read reviews on both and i need advise on the camera. advices are appericated

i suggest pentax guys know well enough how a k100d works and so this is a link of canon s5
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

:)

i had a S3IS (S5 predeccesor) right before i bought K100d.....i can tell, they are 2 differennt camera and you can't compare a consumer/prosumer cam with a dslr (even if it's an entry level dslr)....but of course, the compact size, long focal length and video of s5 are very attractive....but firstly ask urself, what do you need the cam for? then u can decide which cam better feed your needs.....

...Lens is a big problem with dSLR, LBA, or once you try a f2,8 lens, you would want to convert all your lens to f2,8 lenses, which are really expensive...

I've got about 10 lenses right now, and 6 of them are faster or equal to F2.5 ;) Once you go fast, you won't stay slow :bsmilie:

A comsumer/prosumer camera is a good company to a dSLR camera imo. You can have both, actually better have both. Sometimes you can't or are not allowed to carry/use a dSLR camera, a compact small p&s camera comes in very handy :)

I still carry my shiny tiny Pentax Optio S wherever I go, even when I have the big K10D and a bunch of lenses with me :D

I agree with baolong about giving prosumers a miss. I would say go for a compact p&s if you don't already have one, and find out if you really enjoy taking pictures first. If you do, and you're ready to upgrade, then go straight for the DSLR.

But don't throw your compact away too, it's still very handy to not need to carry a big camera around all the time.

If you already have a PnS, get the K100D. You would never know when you need the PnS

A comsumer/prosumer camera is a good company to a dSLR camera imo. You can have both, actually better have both. Sometimes you can't or are not allowed to carry/use a dSLR camera, a compact small p&s camera comes in very handy :)

I still carry my shiny tiny Pentax Optio S wherever I go, even when I have the big K10D and a bunch of lenses with me :D

same here :D i still keep my Pentax W10 as a compact p&s cam....its waterproof feature is good for shooting my kids at the pool or beach.....

anybody here planning to visit SLS this friday?
my friend toldme to check out cs. any other shop with great deal and after sales service?

anybody here planning to visit SLS this friday?
my friend toldme to check out cs. any other shop with great deal and after sales service?

From what I gathered, there are not many shops selling the K100D anymore. Few I know is OP, and AP(Saw the display there, not sure if they are still selling it)

From what I gathered, there are not many shops selling the K100D anymore. Few I know is OP, and AP(Saw the display there, not sure if they are still selling it)

OH NO. i will be so dishearted if i couldnt get one! i tried searching their numbers. couldnt find. anyone?:eek:

OH NO. i will be so dishearted if i couldnt get one! i tried searching their numbers. couldnt find. anyone?:eek:

AP - Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6336 0922
OP - Orient Photo, #06-53/31 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6339 1035

distribution of the K100D has always been pretty limited.

Do book a set before heading down. You don't want to make a wasted trip.:what:

Are you sure you wanna buy a DSLR considering you will be enlisting in the army in 2 months time? :bsmilie:

Are you sure you wanna buy a DSLR considering you will be enlisting in the army in 2 months time? :bsmilie:

YUP. but somehow, what i get is negative remarks that i should not start with a DSLR.
during my army days. its either in my cupboard or i will lend them out? i will make full use of it.

YUP. but somehow, what i get is negative remarks that i should not start with a DSLR.
during my army days. its either in my cupboard or i will lend them out? i will make full use of it.

Do you already know what PES status you are? If you're PES C and below, maybe you'll be lucky to get a cushy 8-5 desk job at some office, then you're fine. :thumbsup: If you're combat fit, please don't expect to have much quality time to spend with your camera.... :thumbsd: Please don't let it sit in a cupboard too, or the lens will get lonely and it'll find new company called fungus...:devil: at least get a dry box. Whether you think lending it out is a good idea that one I leave to you. :think: Just hoping to help you set your expectations right 'cos NS can be one heck of a disruptive thing to your plans.

and - perhaps there was a reason for the (even more?) limited distribution.. K100D update is out!

It's probably worth getting that instead, unless the price premium is ridiculous.

oh, army coming.... then forget about dslr, u will not have time to mettle till your ROD... get a compact instead, panasonic lx2 which can follow you even if you go field training, :bsmilie: but do it secretly..... then u can try using cs2 to process your raw shots.... digital photography is about the whole process and not only hardware alone.....;)

You can always play with a DSLR, now and in future. But considering that your BMT is coming up, and that is one of the best times of your life and it only happens once, I would suggest that you get a good portable PnS like the Fuji 31fd cause you can carry it almost anywhere with you to keep a record of what you experienced, and it is so small that you can hide it easily.

BTW, you need at the very least a good airtight container and some drying agent like silica gel to keep your cameras fungus free.

Agree fully with your opinion. It's a different class altogether with a APS-sized sensor and 1/2.5" sized sensor camera. I started with the pro-sumers and upgraded to the *ist D.

Consider your needs instead....Get the S5 if your into PnS and occassional photography. DSLRs are more suited for serious amateurs/pros and the investment into photographic gear never ends in the pursuit of excellence...ouch!

Don't waste your money getting a camera with a crappy sensor like the S5. A camera like the K100D with the 16-45mm f4 zoom beats the pants off the S5 anytime. There is just no comparision between the image quality of an APS sized sensor vs a miserable 1/2.5" teeny weeny crappy ISO200 and above image quality.

:( I cant 100% say that i will spend time, even when i'm in my army. Im in pes a. supposingly combat fit. now now now i really need advice. i try to use my sisters' sony cybershot and a pentax optio S30. some of the shots are great. but, i find them, not up to "exceptation"* I do undestand the "not the camera, but the photographer" part. some of the shots. i'm sure photography would be a great buddy to me. i'm a little cash constraint now. I do not want to make the wrong decision by getting a p&s and regret it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.