Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

i just gotten AIPO AS-25L yesterday and fiddled around trying to "figure" out the right RH by turning the knob, however, the description from user manual and the setting on the cabinet are kinda different.

Indication on the knob of the cabinet shows (from left to right) L (High in chinese) and H (Low in chinese) and the red LED dimmed down when knob is turning anti clockwise whereas the manual says LED should be dimming when turning clockwise.

Nevertheless, i trial and error based on my read-up infos from the net and eventually the temperature maintain around 42-44% RH with my knob at 12 o'clock direction.

Would it be safe for me to put in my gears based on the current RH as i understand there is some +/- % to note.

Thanks!

Yesterday morning I using oven to toast roll oat for breakfast, I need to preheat the oven first, else the roll oat will not be cook.

but dry cabinet is not an oven, you don't need to preheat or warm up, since put camera outside and inside the dry cabinet has no different when it just start up, so why leave camera outside?

Aipo is OK

Cheap and good

yoiur unit is a 25L one so its not too stressful for the built in Peltier unit to do its work given the relatively small volume of air inside

I keep my dry cab inside my computer room which itself is a natrual dry room given its small area and a couple of the hardware that is running and facing the sun directly

Thanks bros for the inputs.

So far so good as the RH maintain around 43% with camera in it.

There is this small thing about being too dry. If the len elements are compound with optical glue joining up to whole assembly, making it too dry will dry out the glue causing delamination and seperation of the compound lens. IE you screw up that 2K plus lens. Any thing below 40% is tempting fate. Do the salt test to double check.

There is this small thing about being too dry. If the len elements are compound with optical glue joining up to whole assembly, making it too dry will dry out the glue causing delamination and seperation of the compound lens. IE you screw up that 2K plus lens. Any thing below 40% is tempting fate. Do the salt test to double check.
Any sources for that? One member here (iirc, it was daredevil123) has stored a lens in extreme dry conditions for tests. Guess what: nothing happened.

i wonder if bro fatigue has any input on too dry?

Any sources for that? One member here (iirc, it was daredevil123) has stored a lens in extreme dry conditions for tests. Guess what: nothing happened.

My dad has camera gear he stored in his dry cab for many years (around 30 years) at 25-30% RH. No dry grease, no cracked rubber, no whitening as well. And no optics de-lamination etc.. there was this thread in the past where a materials engineer has pretty much assured that modern synthetic based glue, grease are not affected by low humidity in the 20-30% range.

Btw 20-30%RH is around average for places like california. It is actually not that dry at all. Those places you do not need a dry cab, but you need a humidifier for wooden stuff like acoustic guitars.

Last edited:
My dad has camera gear he stored in his dry cab for many years (around 30 years) at 25-30% RH. No dry grease, no cracked rubber, no whitening as well. And no optics de-lamination etc.. there was this thread in the past where a materials engineer has pretty much assured that modern synthetic based glue, grease are not affected by low humidity in the 20-30% range.

Btw 20-30%RH is around average for places like california. It is actually not that dry at all. Those places you do not need a dry cab, but you need a humidifier for wooden stuff like acoustic guitars.

There you go, staright from horse's mouth ;)
I guess 20-30% is considered not too dry. I was in El Paso Texas a few months ago, the RH reading was around 9%-12% :eek:

There you go, staright from horse's mouth ;)
I guess 20-30% is considered not too dry. I was in El Paso Texas a few months ago, the RH reading was around 9%-12% :eek:

Yea that is dry... in that kind of humidity, leather needs to be oiled regularly.

Hi guys. Just got my AS-26L from canon. I plugged the hygrometer mounted off the display (it was just hooks, no glue) and did a salt test and my hygrometer read 71% after 10 hours. So it has a -4% accuracy. I placed it back into the dry cab and turned the knob somewhere in between C and D and my RH is 51% with my 650D inside. Is it normal or is there something wrong with my dry cab?

I am curious why members spend so much time fine tuning equipment which cares for their gear (2nd derivative away from actually using the gears)
instead of spending more time shooting

I am curious why members spend so much time fine tuning equipment which cares for their gear (2nd derivative away from actually using the gears)
instead of spending more time shooting

I also don't know....you tell me. :dunno:

I got my dry cabinet deliver to my place, unpack it, put at the place I want it to be, plug it and power on, put my gears inside.... and that is it.

didn't have to tune this and that, don't need to wait, don't need to monitor, and it works fine.

other than break down twice over the 7 plus years, it just keep at around 45% at all time (ok, other than I forget to close the door properly a couple times) and I don't even know where the dial is.

Hi guys. Just got my AS-26L from canon. I plugged the hygrometer mounted off the display (it was just hooks, no glue) and did a salt test and my hygrometer read 71% after 10 hours. So it has a -4% accuracy. I placed it back into the dry cab and turned the knob somewhere in between C and D and my RH is 51% with my 650D inside. Is it normal or is there something wrong with my dry cab?

give it somemore time in the dry cabi..mine is at B for quite some time now, getting 45-50% RH

Give it at least 12h, a dry cabinet is not a shock freezer with instant changes. It will take time to achieve the target RH. A few hours off the target RH won't do any harm.