Is there a big diff compare being a singaporean, a pr, or a foreigner

Status
Not open for further replies.
buckwheat said:
Why is it that calling an African American a "nigger" or a Singaporean a "chink" is not OK but calling a westerner an "Ang Mo" is? I certainly don't have red hair...

oh, a certain white man should not be called an 'ang mo' ( red-haired ) because he does not have red hair ?
then why in your message you seem to suggest all westerners are white ? there are blacks and others too.

Ah_Seng said:
Sorry dude, abit OT here....

Personally, I feel that we shouldn't stereo-type ppl according to their rank during NS time. There are some who are late developers, or possess leadership qualities but perhaps not the fitness to make it thru OCS.

Henceforth, a SGT could be a better leader than an Officer. I know cos I've met quite a number over the years....

yes, alot of LTA i met have little leadership qualities, many 'man' or 'spec' have higher and better leadership qualities.

reachme2003 said:
you sounded democratic in outlook. i am wondering why you did not exercise your democratic right in your native country and fight for better working prospects, etc which you find here?

Sorry for the late reply.

I did not say my country (i.e. Malaysia) has worse working prospects. In fact, in some areas, they are better back home (e.g. starting your own dive house?).

I came to work in Singapore cos I think the environment suit me better. Not because I hated Malaysia's policy or environment. I supported the policies that were in Malaysia and I still do, given the environmental constraint Malaysia have, I would have done the same if I was leading the country.

Back to the topic, I thot Singapore seperated from Malaysia b'cos Singapore believe that opportunities should be given by merits, not by race. I hope Singaporean have not forgot this and want to have opportunities given by nationalities.

Emkay said:
... given the environmental constraint Malaysia have, I would have done the same if I was leading the country.

Kawan,

Is there any other way the ruling party can let you be the PM?

I thot Singapore seperated from Malaysia b'cos Singapore believe that opportunities should be given by merits, not by race.

You are obviously too young to watch the news conference that LKY broke down and cried on the day of separation. I think he was saddened for the people he left behind. The missed opportunity for an equal society where you and me could have the same dreams and the opportunities to achieve them.

Some books still refer to that incident if you want to read about it.

Best regards,
An Ex-Malaysian

Sion said:
You are obviously too young to watch the news conference that LKY broke down and cried on the day of separation. I think he was saddened for the people he left behind. The missed opportunity for an equal society where you and me could have the same dreams and the opportunities to achieve them.

Some books still refer to that incident if you want to read about it.

Best regards,
An Ex-Malaysian
You are absolutely correct about this. I was not born when that happened.
However I was quite amused when I first came to Singapore when lots of my school mates told me LKY fought for Singapore's independent from Malaysia ..

Emkay said:
You are absolutely correct about this. I was not born when that happened.
However I was quite amused when I first came to Singapore when lots of my school mates told me LKY fought for Singapore's independent from Malaysia ..

Yes he did fight for it as it was for the citizen's rights who was living in the island.

Parting with Malaysia was probably the hardest decision he had to make. Go ask the seniors to get a clearer picture. Remember when Malaysia became independant in August 31st 1957, Singapore was part of it.

Dear all, let rest this topic. There is no differents between Work-Permit PR or Citizen other than policies and politics. All are welcome no matter the color or religion. There are good and bad apples in every cross sections of any society no matter where. Remember that you represent not only you, you give people impressions of where you come from, your race, your religion, your cultures.

Perhaps the thing we learn is tolerance. We are far from perfect but to live with three or more other cultures, races and religions, we are doing fine.....

tolerance? we are doing fine? you are so easily satisfied?

the thread is moving into the historical perspective. why should it rest? i think it is educational for all. in this instance, mods, stay out.

Hommie said:
Dear all, let rest this topic. There is no differents between Work-Permit PR or Citizen other than policies and politics. All are welcome no matter the color or religion. There are good and bad apples in every cross sections of any society no matter where. Remember that you represent not only you, you give people impressions of where you come from, your race, your religion, your cultures.

Perhaps the thing we learn is tolerance. We are far from perfect but to live with three or more other cultures, races and religions, we are doing fine.....

Hommie said:
All are welcome no matter the color or religion. There are good and bad apples in every cross sections of any society no matter....

Not all. I think Singapore's immigration policy is a selective one. It only wants those who have something to contribute to its economic progress. That's common sense because of its space and natural resources. But I applaud your generosity.

With faster and bigger planes, telecommunication technology and internet, the world is getting smaller. It's getting more like a big village. More people are looking for things that unite us and things that we could share. The extremists will always live and die in a little kumpungs of their own without knowing the horizons.

Singapore is fortunate in many ways. For one it is very plugged in to the global village.

yes, agreed with you that it is a selective policy. ICA does not discuss them explicitly. i think, being selective, their interest is more than those contributing economically.

Sion said:
Not all. I think Singapore's immigration policy is a selective one. It only wants those who have something to contribute to its economic progress. That's common sense because of its space and natural resources. But I applaud your generosity.

With faster and bigger planes, telecommunication technology and internet, the world is getting smaller. It's getting more like a big village. More people are looking for things that unite us and things that we could share. The extremists will always live and die in a little kumpungs of their own without knowing the horizons.

Singapore is fortunate in many ways. For one it is very plugged in to the global village.

Ah_Seng said:
Sorry dude, abit OT here....

Personally, I feel that we shouldn't stereo-type ppl according to their rank during NS time. There are some who are late developers, or possess leadership qualities but perhaps not the fitness to make it thru OCS.

Henceforth, a SGT could be a better leader than an Officer. I know cos I've met quite a number over the years....

i agree with you, not just because i am a sgt rather than an officer. Back in my batch, who get to go to ocs and who get to go to sispec depends highly on the graduating batch. When my batch finish BMT, sispec just have a batch finishing their bslc, so in fact most of us when to sispec. Similarly i have friends whose entire batch all went into ocs. perhaps this has change. anyone with simliar experience in which majority went to ocs or went to sispec?

but nevertheless i do believe that the ability to complete ocs is an achievement, but for a real life empolyer to gauge a person leadership skill has by its NS rank, seem abit shallow minded in my opinion. In NS, the so called "leadership" shown by officers in most situation is more of the respect for the authority of the rank rather than the respect in the capability of the person itself.

Of course there are always exceptions. Therefore the point is, one sees what one chooses to percieve.

reachme2003 said:

the thread is moving into the historical perspective. why should it rest? i think it is educational for all. in this instance, mods, stay out.

Yup i agree with you. The issue about the discussion is not just to complain and whine, but also to see how other people view the situation and how we can make things better.

Everyone to a certain extent may not like certain policy like housing, education, transporation, etc. But that does not mean that everyone is just complaining and have not compared with situations in other countries. The point is that there is room for improvement regardling all this issues and there is a greater need for more transparency. Eg. how come housing has rise some much over the last 15 yrs, etc.

Just because our transport cost is the most afforable in the region, does not imply anything. We are living in different environments! We should think more logically when all this figures are thrown to us by the media, rather than just accepting its face value. Everyone still remember the scenario painted to us by the PTC that the increase only result in a very small increment for a general family of 4? most people just accept the scenario without questioning. Some did and realize they are using old data for the calculation, but they still get away with it anyway..... :dunno:

reachme2003 said:

So its no longer about the thread topic.....

Sion said:

That's why I said, 'differences is Policies and Politics'. Nothing to do with foreigners or PR/Citizens.

wiki said:
Yup i agree with you. The issue about the discussion is not just to complain and whine, but also to see how other people view the situation and how we can make things better.
I agree, but transportation topic is another thread, different subject from this. If you read my post on the farc hike issue, I have already made my stance known.

wiki said:
Everyone to a certain extent may not like certain policy like housing, education, transporation, etc. But that does not mean that everyone is just complaining and have not compared with situations in other countries. The point is that there is room for improvement regardling all this issues and there is a greater need for more transparency. Eg. how come housing has rise some much over the last 15 yrs, etc.

Just because our transport cost is the most afforable in the region, does not imply anything. We are living in different environments! We should think more logically when all this figures are thrown to us by the media, rather than just accepting its face value. Everyone still remember the scenario painted to us by the PTC that the increase only result in a very small increment for a general family of 4? most people just accept the scenario without questioning. Some did and realize they are using old data for the calculation, but they still get away with it anyway..... :dunno:

does it really matter? are you the mod appointed to keep forumers to the thread tpoic?

besides, you are preaching for tolerance. you are satisfied with the status quo. well, it is only you. the rest of us may not be.

Hommie said:
So its no longer about the thread topic.....

reachme2003 said:
does it really matter? are you the mod appointed to keep forumers to the thread tpoic?

besides, you are preaching for tolerance. you are satisfied with the status quo. well, it is only you. the rest of us may not be.
Nope, me no mod but neither are you. I respect your freedom to post, hope you do to mine too. I am not satisfied with the currently situation as you mentioned, but I am always against the system rather than the people. Its obvious that you have yet to see my other posts to have such conclusion of my issues. :)

reachme2003 said:

reachme2003 said:

Mod here, Mod there ... what are you driving at? :confused:

Hi all, usually a lurker but this thread is so so interesting (read controversial). in any case, just food for thought - why does the govt preach racial tolerance? why not racial harmony?

anyway to OT a bit, i think the recent disgruntedness of foreigners stems more from government policies and not really from the people itself. There are many spillover effects from such policies unsaid in local newspapers. i think that certain policies are biased towards the foreign talents and against the foreign workers (there is a difference here) which has left quite a bad taste in many pple's mouth(livelihood). it's always the system and not the people.

these policies are so prevalent that i don't even wanna get started on those obscene education grants given out or the preferential treatment NUS is giving to those foreign 'scholars'. so guys debate all you want, but try to keep it cool k, let's not degenerate this forum which i think so highly of into a mudsling against racial and other faultlines.

in any case this has been debated in endless forums and blogs. will try to post some links if i'm free. have fun with the discourse! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.