is the Nikon D7000 acceptable to be a pro DSLR?

Like many others have said, 'equipment' does not define a professional, but rather its the person behind the viewfinder.

Just to throw it into a real life application... this is a professional photographer who used an iphone for one of his shoots

Also, if you're just worried about the DX format... several professional wild life and bird photographers use a D300s as their main bodies.

Never let the "professional" word strike your mind. Just keep learning and shooting. When you shoot more, you will know what camera tools you need to achieve the pictures you want to sell to your clients.
It's the passion that should drive you on, rather than the "loves to be called professional photographer or use pro DSLR to show you are professional photographer" mindset that drives you. The latter will only stop you from improving.

Last edited:
Would anyone use the D7000 on a paid assignment? or only full frame cameras?

I know people who have sold images made with entry level DSLRs like the Pentax K100D (6 megapixels at that) and the Canon 400D.

It depends on your uses and the type of image demanded.

Wonder how would you think about the D7000 of Nikon? I already own one, and it made me disappointed with its dynamic range, almost all pictures taken with it are over-exposured.. Anyway I like the true colour of blue and grey shot by this cam :)

Are you sure you have the settings right? I have shot for months using the D7000 and it have not given me an overexposed shot before.

Wonder how would you think about the D7000 of Nikon? I already own one, and it made me disappointed with its dynamic range, almost all pictures taken with it are over-exposured.. Anyway I like the true colour of blue and grey shot by this cam :)

are you using auto mode with your camera and still it gives you overexposed shots? :think:

@liptonsua
Wonder how would you think about the D7000 of Nikon? I already own one, and it made me disappointed with its dynamic range, almost all pictures taken with it are over-exposured.. Anyway I like the true colour of blue and grey shot by this cam

Really ? lol

you might want to update to the latest firmware available on Nikon Singapore or country of your residence

You got quite impressive gear too 5d mk 2 and 14-24_24-70 perfect range mate ! 14-70 RANGE !

jianzhi

Last edited:
Really ? lol

you might want to update to the latest firmware available on Nikon Singapore or country of your residence

You got quite impressive gear too 5d mk 2 and 14-24_24-70 perfect range mate ! 14-70 RANGE !

jianzhi

you talking about spree? he's a nikon user bro. :bsmilie:

Really ? lol

jianzhi

I think you quoted the wrong person :bsmilie:

Oh dear, I suspect this is probably user error (i.e. problem lies with you). It is a fact that D7K uses the same sensor as Pentax K5, which has 13-14 stops of DR as measured by DXOMark.

Either that or you got a lemon.

i don't think canon makes a 14-24 either, so with a 5dmk2 it'd have to be through a nikon->canon adapter

edit: after reading his sig, it looks like he's selling his nikon gear :p

Last edited:
i don't think canon makes a 14-24 either, so with a 5dmk2 it'd have to be through a nikon->canon adapter

edit: after reading his sig, it looks like he's selling his nikon gear :p

looks like it lol he can get a second hand 1D when he sell the nikon gears and lol

I have seen some photographers taking for my friends party, wedding etc with FF D3s/x or Canon 1Dx etc. but the end result is like shits. I tell you that some of us here in CS can take much better photo than those so call pro.

Belief us, D3100, 5100 or D300s, D7000 all can use for occassion shooting provided you get a good (Fast lens) & correct type of lens together with your good skill and your end results is a pro job.

Of course also bear in mind that a faster cam body will not miss any opportunities shots especially the chinese marriage when serving tea ceremony. Otherwise get #%$#@!&

I have seen some photographers taking for my friends party, wedding etc with FF D3s/x or Canon 1Dx etc. but the end result is like shits. I tell you that some of us here in CS can take much better photo than those so call pro.

Belief us, D3100, 5100 or D300s, D7000 all can use for occassion shooting provided you get a good (Fast lens) & correct type of lens together with your good skill and your end results is a pro job.

Of course also bear in mind that a faster cam body will not miss any opportunities shots especially the chinese marriage when serving tea ceremony. Otherwise get #%$#@!&

Given the similar skills, the photographer with FF D3s/x will still beat the photographer with D3100.

When we compare the camera gear, we should not take the photographer's skill into consideration because every photographer is different but the camera gear is the same. Those photographers that you saw maybe hadn't mastered their skills, but there are a lot more of good photographers who can master the FF D3s/x or Canon 1Dx very well.

The FF cameras/lenses exist for a reason. Study the camera gear's weakness and strength first and see if they can be used to deliever your job efficiently. Because when you are paid to do the job, you are expected to deliver from the beginning till the end(can't miss those important moments), not just a few nice shots occasionally. So you have to make sure you camera gears can assist you to achieve this goal. For hobby wise, D3100 is sufficient to take good picture, especially if you have very good photoshop skills.

TS,

From a more technical perspective, I find the D7000's buffer too low for burst shooting in critical situations, eg for photojournalistic or event uses. Of course, you may never encounter this problem if you don't often require this function.

Otherwise, the rest have covered most of the points. Happy shooting!

zhaowei said:
TS,

From a more technical perspective, I find the D7000's buffer too low for burst shooting in critical situations, eg for photojournalistic or event uses. Of course, you may never encounter this problem if you don't often require this function.

Wow, 6fps not fast enough for you?

TS,

it's abit misleading. d7000's buffer size is nt really large enough for continuous burst shooting for a longer period of time as compared to higher end bodies. the burst rate, however, is pretty fast already.

But, how many shots can the buffer hold and how many continuous shots u need? Sorry for my ignorance.

buffer size of d7000 can be found here: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/features03.htm

this is quite an important feature for sports photographers though, but i dun tink it's that important for journalists and event photographers.