Is that a cobra ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just put up a warning sign will do.
mangrove snake are also venomous as well.
anyway when you're in their habitat, respect the nature around you and be alert to your surroundings.

honestly.. i believe many nature photographers.. or in fact wannabe or transition photographers in nature photography forget the most important rule : be one with nature.

what do i mean be one with nature..? Sync yourself with nature. the same way you sync yourself with people around you, the same way you sync yourself with the studio lights or buildings and cars. the cars are there. the buildings are there. the people are there. its all part of what is around you.

nature photography is going back to basics. the snake is not causing you any harm. its just passing by. for all we know its helping out to rid the rats around the hospital environment. yes it is venomous but for sure it wont attack unless provoke. its the same as other animals and humans too. who would attack unnecessarily unless provoked or in self defence? even your friendly cat will scratch and start hissing when provoked.

honestly and truthfully, i have a phobia with snakes. i'm damn scared of snakes. what made it worst was when back in my teens a snake attacked me and some friend at tampines bicycle track. punctured one of my wheels. i realised that the reason it attacked was because construction was going on around the area. their natural habitat was being destroyed... and being lost and thrown away from their own homes, they're finding new ones and are rather defensive .

i do not support the idea of relocating the snake nor killing the snake.. but i do support the idea of AH management to put up signs of its presence. maybe you all can get snake repellent ... spray at your boots when going to snake land.. they'll avoid you

If I remember correctly, its not the first time a cobra has been sighted in AHBT. I have read in another forum of such an incident and that it was immediately reported to the AHBT authorities.

Saw a similar cobra (but I wasn't 3-4 feet away, I was definitely farther) in Kranji Nature trail.

I agree with most, that snakes don't normally bite or strike without due provocation.

Also agree that you should wear shoes and pants.

So, be careful and be mindful.

:confused: That's why I 'm wary of going deep into the bushes to take photos.

Is there anyway we can check the bushes for snakes? Should we beat around the bushes first?

If I remember correctly, its not the first time a cobra has been sighted in AHBT. I have read in another forum of such an incident and that it was immediately reported to the AHBT authorities.

Saw a similar cobra (but I wasn't 3-4 feet away, I was definitely farther) in Kranji Nature trail.

I agree with most, that snakes don't normally bite or strike without due provocation.

Also agree that you should wear shoes and pants.

So, be careful and be mindful.

cobra can spit poison with dead accuracy within a distance of 6 feet/2meters spot on between our eyes.

got a friend ganna once while trying to catch a cobra. caught the cobra but some damage to the eyes. need to go emergency for eye treatment. lucky the damage was not servere but laser treatment to smoothen out the acid damage.
lesson learnt was to respect the creature and do not provoke them. they will leave u alone and slither away.

at least its a place of substantial natural environment.

I once encountered a black snake ( a cobra i suppose) slithering few feet away while my family was eating at the open-area of the KTM Railway station. All of us scrambled away before the snake re-entered the drain .

They are lovely creatures, even when angry.

A pair were caught in my home last year. One slithered into a drainpipe, was trapped and subsequently flushed out with a little hot water into a net. It was then put into a plastic box, like those used for hamster, etc. The second snake was found two days later, trapped and removed.

The first one was feisty, well, being trapped, it would be. Hissed and spat angrily. Missed the second one altogether while I was at work.

Discussions aside, I think it's a very beautiful animal. ;p

agree. it is with deadly black shining and high gloss scales. black kiwi shine. when it snars sounds like a cat hissing deep from within. the sound u dont easily forget. i respect the creature.

:sweat::sweat::sweat:

Dear All,

I had actually said that I had made my last comment on Sunday but after reading all the replies in this hot topic, I felt upset that some of you might have misunderstood me, that I’m all out to destroy this cobra. I would like to clarify this is the last thing I would want it to happen.

My first intention to post this thread was to warn all of you that there is a cobra out there in AHBT without knowing that it is a “friend” to us and this cobra sighting has been well documented in this forum. Then like the cobra that will protect it’s egg, as a parent (I’m sure some of you are parents too will understand this), first thinking was to protect my children if they were to go with me to AHBT again in future. Hope those of you who doesn’t have children would understand this feeling. Thirdly, as a common citizen, I think I should alert AH that I met a cobra in their park.

This is the email that I send to them on Sunday (to AH enquiry, don’t even know if it is the right place to go) :

3922234109_efd60dd22d.jpg

I did not specify any action they should take, just asked them to look into this immediately and take some action soon, again not realizing they should have already received such information by some of our good CS bro before. BTW, they have not reply me and I’m not expecting or will chase them for any reply.

I do not watch Discovery Channel, nor do I know anything about snakes until I learnt a great deal about it now on this thread. Some of you may have known that I’m very new to photography, to CS, to macro, with very limited knowledge about nature, insects…etc. That’s why I thought that the cobra might attack someone passing-by, especially kids.

I think I must have move very silently on Sunday until the cobra didn’t realize my present and came out to greet me in such near distance…;-)

I hope my clarification would be acceptable and apologies to all the nature lovers that I might have offended. Hope that I’m still welcome in this forum after this.

I would like to make a suggestion. Not every one knows a lot about wild animals, insects. With so many nature expert in CS macro forum, why not CS Admin make a sticky (is there one already ?) gathering information for inexperience photographer like me on how to deal with wild animals when met with one, eg snakes, wild boar, bees, scorpions…etc. This may prevent any fatal incident or even save one’s life some day.

Finally, (sorry, very long winded) like I said in my last comment, whether AH do anything or not, whether our friend will still be there or not, I will be still going to AHBT. In fact, I will surely be there this Sat afternoon, hope to meet some of you guys there.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Hi CK,

We all knew that you had good intention of warning everyone here of the Cobra at AHBT and appreciated it , just like a few others that had sighted and reported it here and in other forum.

What most are against was towards the suggestion by some that the cobra should be captured and moved ...... as it is a bogus solution.

I hope my clarification would be acceptable and apologies to all the nature lovers that I might have offended. Hope that I’m still welcome in this forum after this.

You do not have to apologize ! We are all learning here, it is through such exchanges that fellow photographers get to know more about nature and come to appreciate them.

Looking forward to more of your shots!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear All,

I had actually said that I had made my last comment on Sunday but after reading all the replies in this hot topic, I felt upset that some of you might have misunderstood me, that I’m all out to destroy this cobra. I would like to clarify this is the last thing I would want it to happen.

Don't be. We are just reminding everyone and ourselves about how nature is. At least for me, the comments are not directed at you. It is more for the awareness of CSers reading this thread.

Do take care where shooting there. Watch where you step. I would wear tall boots if I were you. Time to take out those Army boots you kept away after your ORD... unless you haven't served your NS yet.

dont take it to the heart bro. we're just suggesting on ideas :)

i would like to urge all nature photographers to wear long pants as well as boots while going on trail. your army boots would do fine :)

would be great to make some nosie around the area you gonna shoot first .. or as i've said... carry snake repellent and apply to your boots

Hi to all,

For all of you photographers who wants a lesson on snakes, their habits, characteristics, etc can sent your mail to me at wildlife@pacific.net.sg and i will try to reply. After collecting local wildlives records including snakes and reptilian records over many years, my advise to you when encounter a cobra is to stay away and let the snake goes his own way.

For sure, it will not attack unless provoke & that is the usual characteristic behaviour. Most snake would avoid human as far as possible whether its venomous or non-venomous. To kill a snake is tantamount to taking a live away and its illegal in the eye of law to killed a snake in the wild under the WABA Act. Waba stands for Wild Animal and Bird Act. All wild animal in Singapore are protected by the Act however the sad news is that many wild animal were killed without anyone reporting to the authorities. Culprit if reported would be fine by the authorities for the cruel act.

Last edited:
Looks like a spitting cobra to me.

You are lucky! It is a Cobra!!! It can kill a pperson within 2 m range. Once bitten, if not able to find the right Bloodcell, em... bye bye...

You are lucky! It is a Cobra!!! It can kill a pperson within 2 m range. Once bitten, if not able to find the right Bloodcell, em... bye bye...

Erm, TS was shooting on the grounds of a hospital.
And, anti-venom is well stocked in Singapore hospitals and ranger stations. And if the person say it is a black cobra that bit him/her, the correct anti-venom will be matched. It ain't rocket science since species of cobras native to Singapore are quite limited.

Though deadly, the black spitting cobra is still not in the top ten. Some of the ones in top 10 can be found in backyards of homes in Australia. See:
http://kalyan-city.blogspot.com/2008/07/worlds-top-10-most-poisonous-venomous.html

Last edited:
Thank you Bluesteel, daredevil123, NeTHaCk for your comments. I will be very careful in future. Normally I'm, even when I step, I make sure I do not step on even an ant.

Bluesteel, I like your cobra conversation very much...it really make me lol

Cheers ;)

I am closing this thread before any more of such ignorant post from ppl who do not bother to ready the entire thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.