Is Singapore getting too expensive for the middle class?

some people if you give them $50,000 a month to spend will still complain its not enough for a family with 2 kids while a despatch rider from our office seems to be doing just fine with 3 kids and smiling every day

go figure

Yah like tht time saw on tv programme tis lady complaining say govt no give financial support because childcare is expensive as each of her 2 kids attend tis private sch $1k+/mth..pui

We should ask how we can turn cash flow into income generating assets.

Let's ask how we can expand our income instead of how we may save more. Just like LFC score more goal than opposite side to win

Make every click of your expensive DSLR with prime lens generate $$$. :)

some people if you give them $50,000 a month to spend will still complain its not enough for a family with 2 kids while a despatch rider from our office seems to be doing just fine with 3 kids and smiling every day

go figure

The former is Singaporean and the later foreinger? :)

Im working hard on resisting the urge to keep up. So far not too bad, no driving licence=no car, no money=no camera gear. Hopefully won't get sucked into the whole out-tuition everyone else syndrome.

Some tuition isn't so bad lah.... because its for a better job prospect later in life. But I agree about the Kiasu-ness of out tuitioning everyone else means its 'good'... at the end of the day.... its the final results that matters.

Owning a Car due to Job requirements (sales, transportation of goods) is understandable... but if solely just to 'show off' or so you don't have to take public transportation, just means putting you in the debt trap.... :sweat:

I am not sure how this classification works. House hold income itself is already very difficult to define. I use to read official data on average house hold income but from my own experience and contacts, it is far from the truth.

A house hold income of $2k may means a single person working more than 12 hours daily to support a family of 5 or more. For middle income group, their income actually goes toward housing and transportation. Asset rich but not much hard cash.

The focus should be quality of life. Survey how people spend their time at work, commuting, leisure. What is the point if you spent 14 hours commuting and in work place and left with nothing for family and yourself BUT own a condo that is just not much different from a BTO?

Too much emphasis on material than quality of life but I guess we are all suck into this hole.

I am not sure how this classification works. House hold income itself is already very difficult to define. I use to read official data on average house hold income but from my own experience and contacts, it is far from the truth.

A house hold income of $2k may means a single person working more than 12 hours daily to support a family of 5 or more. For middle income group, their income actually goes toward housing and transportation. Asset rich but not much hard cash.

The focus should be quality of life. Survey how people spend their time at work, commuting, leisure. What is the point if you spent 14 hours commuting and in work place and left with nothing for family and yourself BUT own a condo that is just not much different from a BTO?

Too much emphasis on material than quality of life but I guess we are all suck into this hole.

Problem is 'quality of life' is also subjective..:)

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

I paid my tax, cpf already, do my national service and reservist ..isn't that enough ?

Before I can do more for my lovely country, I have to fed my family well FIRST !!!!

go figure

We should change to topic to "managing expectations to have a happier life" instead .. much more better than this current topic.

A perfect solution is to work in Singapore and live in Johore to beat the high cost of living.

Quite a number of people have been doing it for many years. And such arrangement is catching up.

The beautiful part is this would free the housing areas in Singapore for more economic and industrial activities.

This could be a win win solution for all. :)

I paid my tax, cpf already, do my national service and reservist ..isn't that enough ?

Before I can do more for my lovely country, I have to fed my family well FIRST !!!!

Get two jobs.

One to feed the family.

And the other job to contribute to Singapore national reserves. :)

That is a privilage reserved for you only.
You should be grateful.
And instead of being grouchy, you better choose to be happy!

A perfect solution is to work in Singapore and live in Johore to beat the high cost of living.

This is possible only if you are willing to include the jams and traffic crossing the Causeway/2nd link daily for Work or School... I don't want to give the usual stereotype answer of Safety and Crime, but one of the biggest issue for me, would be the time I'll have to spend, commuting between country. And being that I could hardly speak or understand the Malay language, it would make communication difficult (not everyone in SG or MY speak English).

Lastly... as we are not a citizen of Malaysia.... if one day, under a less open minded Malaysian Govt, our rights to stay, or our property, could be jeopardize.

Define "Middle Class" ,,, :dunno:

Forget about classification, you can be low class today, strike Toto tomorrow and become high class. Also one can be rich but low class. :D

Over the years we have become a very materialistic society because we measure success by dollar-value, . Some may argue we have to be realistic, we are just a little red dot, that is true but I chose and decide how I want to live.
We come to his world with nothing and when it is time to go, go empty handed, can't take the camera gears.:bsmilie:
Cheers.

Next week Channel News Asia will be starting a new season of Talking Point and they will kick off with this topic.

I believe many of us belong to this category, falling into the 'comfortable' category, being able to support ourselves, our families and have some spare left over for hobbies, such as hifi, photography etc.

Many of us are will also fall into the 25-45 band with a spread into the upper spectrum too, and some students.

So is it getting too expensive for us to live in our own country and what would you like to see?

Bear in mind that it's easy to ask for goodies, but someone has to pay for them, and it's naive to ask for the 'not in my tax file' mentality, where everyone expects someone else to pick up the tab.

Instead, what can we hope to ask our government for that will benefit us?

For those pass 50 like me, to restore back cpf contribution as everyone else so we can buy more camera gears. :bsmilie:

Not gonna happen in our lifetimes Im afraid. Where would our sovereign wealth funds find the money to invest? Certain special pple will be out of a job.

club snap so popular CNA also coming here to get materials haha