Is it fact or myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theArtOfLight

Mar 19, 2008
www.acute.com.sg
Hi all,

18-55mm IS or 17-85mm IS that came as kit lens with the camera is of different grade as compare to those that were sold separately?

Is this myth or fact?

Just wondering... if this is the reason why the bundle is cheaper?

Cheers

Heard from my friend that the 17-85mm IS USM kit lens is made in china. So he bought a 40D Body and a 17-85mm IS USM lens which is made in japan separately. Costs alot more.

Cheers

Where it be from Japan, Malaysia or Russia, it should function as well as the other. Why split hairs over it?

Also, usually things sold together are cheaper.

Samuel

Most of the thing are made in china now. All Nikon bodies except the D3 are made in China as well. We cannot really avoid things that are made in China. I think the quality is just as good!

Hi all,

18-55mm IS or 17-85mm IS that came as kit lens with the camera is of different grade as compare to those that were sold separately?

Is this myth or fact?

Just wondering... if this is the reason why the bundle is cheaper?

Cheers

so did his made in japan lens focus faster or give sharper pics compared to the made in china one??

so does it means that the only is country of manufacturing?
well...IMHO, things made whichever country are fine and working...
but other than that, wat other difference?

cheers

My lenses says "Made in Japan" on it... Can they print that but manufacture the lens in China? That sounds illegal somehow >..<

Most of the thing are made in china now. All Nikon bodies except the D3 are made in China as well. We cannot really avoid things that are made in China. I think the quality is just as good!

Sorry, I tot Nikon DSLR Bodies are made in thailand??

My lenses says "Made in Japan" on it... Can they print that but manufacture the lens in China? That sounds illegal somehow >..<

You know some companies do exactly that to save some taxes. In the end made in Japan product could be just re assembly or even aesthetic work.

That's correct. All Nikon DSLRs are made in Thailand except for D3.

All Pentax DSLR bodies are made in Vietnam.

All Canon DSLR bodies are made in Japan. Canon compact cameras can come from anywhere.

Personally, I don't think difference is substantial. But I won't really know since I don't own DSLRs from different manufacturers. ;) I've heard stories though... won't repeat them here or I'll get bashed... :bsmilie:

Just like watches - a branded Jap brand has two versions - made in its country of origin or a neighbouring country. Personally I will take the original country anytime. Like saying a Swiss watch made in China? Actually I am saying from experience as I recently bought a Swiss watch of a higher model, automatic and sapphire crystal than the lower models of the same brand made elsewhere!
Another case in point - anyone tried a certain chocolate made from different countries? I found the ones made in Australia much better tasting. Though logically, under the same brand and model should be the same regardless of country of manufacture due to its quality control or is there one?

Yes, sorry is Thailand......a typo there. Personally I don't really care where the equipment comes from as long as the warranty and specs are the same. If I can get a 1DsM3 at $5K made in China...I will gladly buy it.

Anyone know where the screw come from ??

All Canon DSLR bodies are made in Japan. Canon compact cameras can come from anywhere.

My 300D says "Made in Taiwan" and I think the xxxD series are made in Taiwan.

Does it matter where it is made. The materials are probably all the same i.e. many China components (China is the world's factory) BUT with lenses and such, final assembly and calibration are very important and it can make a difference between good and mediocre. Having said that, even Japan-made L lenses have good and bad copies.....

That's correct. All Nikon DSLRs are made in Thailand except for D3.

All Pentax DSLR bodies are made in Vietnam.

Personally, I don't think difference is substantial. But I won't really know since I don't own DSLRs from different manufacturers. ;) I've heard stories though... won't repeat them here or I'll get bashed... :bsmilie:

pentax bodies are made in philippines.

imho i feel that it doesnt make a diff where its made
issit?:dunno:

quality wise it shouldn't differ at all on paper considering all those outsourced manufacturing still have to follow the same stringent QC procedures imposed by the parent company. those outsourced companies should usually also have someone from the main company based there to do production monitoring.

well if it constant real funky batches with degrading quality instead of the usual jackpot units gets churned out (eg the case of MadeInChina<MadeInJapan), take the issue back to the top (eg. canon/nikon). im sure they want to hear and do something about it.

different story for hand crafted high end fine watches thou, buying a swiss/japanese/german watch at least assembled and finished in anywhere outside of its original country means there's something really wrong with them. where's their pride man.. :bsmilie:

anyway my 17-85 kit lens was printed with a made in japan label. so unless canon is lying about it, otherwise it is the same lens.

To my understanding, the kit Lens that comes with the Canon DSLR

- EF-S 18-55mm (Made in Taiwan) Bundled with 30D or 400D
- EF-S 18-55mm IS (Made in Japan) Bundled with 40D or 450D

- EF-S 17-85mm IS USM (Made in Japan) Bundled with 40D or 450D

is that right??

Another case in point - anyone tried a certain chocolate made from different countries? I found the ones made in Australia much better tasting. Though logically, under the same brand and model should be the same regardless of country of manufacture due to its quality control or is there one?

I can certainly vouch for that. Chocolate products from AU tastes way better than those from our neighbors.

But, assembled products should not make much difference if they are assembled in Japan or China due to the companies quality control. But the 'feel good factor' is there for items made in Japan. I guess it is human thing. But it is a different thing if the product is handmade and precision built. Some countries fare better than the other in some products.

Status
Not open for further replies.