Is it a Must? - Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
yhw22 said:
so it is run by electrical? on for 24hrx7days? :embrass:

me using a compact digicam so also need one too?

A 30L Digicabi takes up 4watts of power or 4x24hrs=96 watts a day or 96x30<3000 watts a month. 3kWh of electricity costs you less than 60 cts a month (or 2 cts a day) at 20cents per kWh or about 7 dollars a year.

My dad's yashica electro 35 got mouldy after years of neglect, but thats a rangefinder. The only problem is, digicam are cheaper and is harder to justify the costs for getting one (cabi).

mastermind said:
A 30L Digicabi takes up 4watts of power or 4x24hrs=96 watts a day or 96x30<3000 watts a month. 3kWh of electricity costs you less than 60 cts a month (or 2 cts a day) at 20cents per kWh or about 7 dollars a year.

My dad's yashica electro 35 got mouldy after years of neglect, but thats a rangefinder. The only problem is, digicam are cheaper and is harder to justify the costs for getting one (cabi).
Not if your digicam is a DSLR :)

There a misconception that dry cabinet box solve all the fungus problem. Actually it slow it down very very very much. As long we handle the camera, lens and other optic equipment it will have some fungus grow due to our high humidity climate. So regular cleaning of our equipment on the outside is very important also. Then said that Dry Cabinet does a very good job of keep the fungus growth to a very very very slow speed. So back to the question is the dry cabinet a must. My answer is better to be a pound wise then a penny foolish. BUY IT.;)

Dry Cabi can be used to store other things than only camera-related equipment. For DSLR owners, its the better option as it keps the equipement in better condition as well as ease of storage and also control of humidity. Always a preferred option

mastermind said:

Probably, the Yashica electro35 only got single coating - got mouldy only after Years of neglect. However, digicams and SLR lenses these days have got multi-coating which WILL get mouldy in Months and not Years.

As for every hobby, as you start, you're always very enthusiastic about it. As time goes on, you interest might slide. That is when you start to neglect and your poor silica gel would turn pink and fungus start to appear and spread.

;) hee hee.....

Finally, gotten the DigiCabi 30L from Carrefour yesterday.... yippe..... :thumbsup:

kevyan said:
;) hee hee.....

Finally, gotten the DigiCabi 30L from Carrefour yesterday.... yippe..... :thumbsup:
Very soon you will aim for 50L... hahaha... trust me :devil:

kevyan said:
Hi all,

thanks for all the posting.... pls keep it coming... I am trying to convince my wife that I should get a Dry Cabinet asap....

The area I am staying always rain and very cooling... I think it's because of the moisture in the air..... shiok... but worried for my gears.....

go heat up the silica gel in the microwave (medium heat, 1 minute, cool -- redo for about 5 times) or fry it continuously in a wok for half an hour and then make a mess in the kitchen. you will then be issued a license to go and buy a dry cabinet. hahaha

remember the old gas-valve salesmen pitch "aunty if you don't buy later the gas tank explode your whole family die eh.."? if this method doesn't work, go ahead and get one. at most you'll get scolded for a little while, but your equipment is worth it yah? :) works for me, hope it doesn't put you in the dog-house though..

Hexlord said:
May I ask if there is a need for prosumer cameras to be stored inside a dry cabinet?

if you want to then why not? i dont really have much funds for a drycabinet(not yet). so what i did was improvise and got a cheap dry box for $19 and some sillica gel. lasted me quite awhile already ;)

got a question to ask... if i use my prosumer camera daily should i use a dry cabinet? now is rainy season RH is more than 90% and the RH inside my dry cabi is only 55%. will taking the cam in and out of the dry cabi frequently damage the cam instead due to condensation and the large fluctuations in humidity level? thanks.

aloyteo said:
got a question to ask... if i use my prosumer camera daily should i use a dry cabinet? now is rainy season RH is more than 90% and the RH inside my dry cabi is only 55%. will taking the cam in and out of the dry cabi frequently damage the cam instead due to condensation and the large fluctuations in humidity level? thanks.

Condensation will happen only if there is a huge change in temperature... say from a indoor temp( air conditioned room) 20C to outdoor temp 32C. I doubt condensation will happen if you take out your camera from room temp (27C) to outdoor temp... My dry cabi has a constant 27C temp and has a 46% RH...:)

Even if you use your camera daily, i am sure that you are not using it for 24hrs? Put the camera into the dry cabinet when not in use.. No harm right?;p

The photoshop down the corridor of Carrefour (level 2), can bargain one. Got mine at $88.

Don't stinge on a good dry cabi. You will kick yourself when you find your digicam sprouting mushrooms.

Noticed my humidity reading has shot up from 46% to 50% during these last few days due to the constant rain. Can't imagine how my equipment would have fared without a dry cabi.

singscott said:
There a misconception that dry cabinet box solve all the fungus problem. Actually it slow it down very very very much. As long we handle the camera, lens and other optic equipment it will have some fungus grow due to our high humidity climate. So regular cleaning of our equipment on the outside is very important also. Then said that Dry Cabinet does a very good job of keep the fungus growth to a very very very slow speed. So back to the question is the dry cabinet a must. My answer is better to be a pound wise then a penny foolish. BUY IT.;)

Pardon me ..... shouldn't it be ..... Penny Wise, Pound Foolish? ;)

Penny wise pound foolish is negative
He is trying to say do the opposite, which is be Pound wise and penny foolish, which is positive.

Andy Ang said:
The photoshop down the corridor of Carrefour (level 2), can bargain one. Got mine at $88.

Hi Andy,

Can tell us which model you bought for $88?

Status
Not open for further replies.