Is dry cabinet a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
chowychow said:
Alright than I will look for one which is closest to me. Thanks!!

Yeah I think I won't need a dry cabi in Perth but when I am back in S.G will get it.

dun think u really need the fungus pack for that short while in sg; just keep it well-aired..

but if u move back on a long-term/basis, might as well get dry cab.

just curious.. last time when my reading is around 40 - 50 % RH, there is a cool feeling when i put my hand inside. However, now i dun have that feeling any more but my cabinet LED light is still ON. How do i know if the cabinet is fautly now or this is normal?

just curious.. last time when my reading is around 40 - 50 % RH, there is a cool feeling when i put my hand inside. However, now i dun have that feeling any more but my cabinet LED light is still ON. How do i know if the cabinet is fautly now or this is normal?
Check with your finger inside, from top. The Peltier element must be cold. If not, turn the knob towards red end, check after a few minutes. Secondly: what does the reading tell you? Checked the batteries of the hydrometer? Our senses are easily deceived and are far from being reliable. The outside temperature these days hardly hits 30 degrees, after rain it drops to 25. The little cooling affect of the Peltier element is easily noticed on hot days but not on cooler ones.

For me yes its a must. Its a relatively cheap investment considering the cost of your photography equipments. You can get one 26l dry cabinet which is rather affordable at about 100-130sgd (before bargaining) if you think you dont have much equipments or you are not gonna get that much equipments in the future.

Im currently using a 26l dry cabinet, it houses 2 DSLR, 3 lens, some camera batteries, some limited edition gold coins and my custom in ear-earphones. Theres still space for 2 small lens and 1 bigger lens (not telep lens thou).

If your asking if you should get it the answer is a straight yes. About sizes which you should go for, this you have to ask yourself some questions.

Yes and definitely! if you have invested a DSLR with minimum 2 lens. need to protect your investment. unless you know how to make a Dri-cabi using the basic plastic box and silica gels. I am quite dumb, dont know how to make.

I bought a dry box at first just to temporary store my dslr cos I was broke. so had to save up first then bought the dry-cabi. once i bought my dry-cabi, i sent my dslr for normal "check-out" because I was using it in -30-40degrees environment, where small hard snow flakes were falling... not really like hail stones though... so was a bit worried when I got back to tropical weather.

Now my dry cabi is FULL because I bought 3 more cameras and more lens... glad I bought it!

Dry Cabinets will allow your valuable items to be stored in specific humidity levels below 50% RH.
Moreover its perfectly fine to leave your dry cabinets turned on because the power consumption of a dry cabinet is much lower than air conditioners and dehumidifiers.

(Power Consumption of dry cabinets: 4 - 6W for most models)
(Power Consumption of air conditioner: 1000 - 1500W depending on the model/brand)

Last edited:
I recently purchase my DSLR ,and notice that alot of people are recommending that a dry cabi should be bought as well to prevent fungus infection. The problem I am facing is I currently live overseas and will be coming back to S.G every 3 months(NS check) or so thus having a dry cabi to lug around is a little cumbersome, as i intend to bring the camera wherever I go as well.

I found out throught a video about rechrageable anti fungus packs does anyone know where to get them

bro, you can consider getting a pretty well sealed container (such as with lock clips from toyogo). need not a big one, but also depends on your equipment collection.

Put 1 to 2 thirsty hippos in the container, and changed it every few mths or when the moist reached a certain level.

There are other cheaper "thirsty hippos" which i managed to get from Daiso. So it's just $2!

i did the above for my "overflowed" equipments which i ran out of space in my dry cabi.

bro, you can consider getting a pretty well sealed container (such as with lock clips from toyogo). need not a big one, but also depends on your equipment collection.

Put 1 to 2 thirsty hippos in the container, and changed it every few mths or when the moist reached a certain level.

There are other cheaper "thirsty hippos" which i managed to get from Daiso. So it's just $2!

i did the above for my "overflowed" equipments which i ran out of space in my dry cabi.

chowychow's post was 2 years ago, if there is any fungus it would have grown into a mushroom or toadstool. :)

Anyway do you know what is the humidity level you can get with Thirsty Hippos?

Original thread starter christian montano last activity is 10th September 2010 01:53 PM

and member chowychow last activity is 29th April 2013 09:45 PM

I guess both of them don't need such information any more.

Please do not resurrect old threads,

thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.