Is doing freelance wedding photography considered as MOONLIGHTING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
togu said:
IMHO, I hardly see any employment contract will state that you can work part time. :think:

part time employement contract maybe will state can work other part time :bsmilie:

eg, part time in a fast food restaurant on 3 days a week, I dun think they will block me from working the other 3 days in a factory :p

But if you use your other company's equipment to do your moonlighting, then maybe it's not good?

well, one only needs to observe those prohibiting clause/s. where it is silent(usually), take your liberty. after all, no employer provides lifetime employment.

togu said:
IMHO, I hardly see any employment contract will state that you can work part time. :think:

togu said:
U also hardly see any employment contract will state that you cannot work part time. :think:

Astin said:
U also hardly see any employment contract will state that you cannot work part time. :think:

That's true... :bsmilie:

With or without, guess most of us here don't really bother. :think:

One things for sure, definitely a no-no for civil servants.

I guess it all depends on how much your moonlighiting affects your day job.

Because of the uncertainty of employment situation, most people has a Plan B. Moonlighting is one great way of testing whether your plan would work or not without giving up a regular income.

maybe work as a professional full time wedding photographer for Company A and then moonlight wedding photography bz for Company B! :bsmilie:

Harry Potter said:
maybe work as a professional full time wedding photographer for Company A and then moonlight wedding photography bz for Company B! :bsmilie:
And use the equipment provided by company A to earn money for company B.

Harry Potter said:
Do u know how small is the circle? are u sure nobody will notice? if nobody know u, nobody will bother to hire u.

I suppose your day-job boss would like to be top on the priority. E.g. you have an all important multi-million dollar deal to discuss (which pays you salary of $200 per day) and you have a wedding photoshoot (paying one-time $1000). If you take leave, I am sure your boss will be REALLY upset.

While most work contracts does not specify whether part-time work is ok or not, most professsional jobs will say that you are to hold 'no other employment without the knowledge and agreement of the company'. Let you boss know that your hobby pays, and most bosses will be supportive of the spirit.

If there is clear conflict of interest, or doing a job in the same field/business/profession, then there might be injunctions. Put yourself in your employers' shoes and consider how you'll like your staff to behave.

In my case, a friend working in a government body was getting married, but I turned down shooting for him, because I have so many dealings with his team, his bosses and his other colleagues that it would be really weird to see me shooting his wedding, especially for a fee.

yowch said:
In my case, a friend working in a government body was getting married, but I turned down shooting for him, because I have so many dealings with his team, his bosses and his other colleagues that it would be really weird to see me shooting his wedding, especially for a fee.

but he's your friend what.... shoot and charge a fee also his bosses/ colleagues business?

What if you accept a wedding shoot and turns out that their relative is related to your day job's boss?

Harry Potter said:

then I think you have to start your own company C soon

adamadam said:
And use the equipment provided by company A to earn money for company B.

If I blur blur use swap the clients photos of Company A and B, then I am fried :bsmilie:

Snowcrash said:
but he's your friend what.... shoot and charge a fee also his bosses/ colleagues business?

What if you accept a wedding shoot and turns out that their relative is related to your day job's boss?

I think that it will be really strange to see the structural engineer that I hired to design a large civil structure (costing several tens of millions) shooting photos for a fee for my employee's wedding. Especially during the dinner and table photos. If not for a fee (angpow doesn't count, that's a return-gift), then nobody else's business, but this thread is about moonlighting.

togu said:
I needs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fund my 3 meals.. :cry:

Wow. That's alot of "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" for 3 meals. You must eat alot. :devil:

It is just strange that those freelance wedding photograher here dun comment :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.