Is doing freelance wedding photography considered as MOONLIGHTING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Potter said:
What I meant is that there maybe freelancers whose skills are very good! But maybe because it is not their full time job, they dun have the resources, time and money to get good equipment as a full time photographer which is their ricebowl.

But of course, hiring a freelance will have its fair share of risks.

Not all pros ARE pros...they need to make a living too..they just want to get the job done and get paid... Where as for a hobbist, they are more interested in
their photos outcome so they will try all means the make sure they get they pic they wanted.. which is better for the couples at the wedding right?

GENO said:
Not all pros ARE pros...they need to make a living too..they just want to get the job done and get paid... Where as for a hobbist, they are more interested in
their photos outcome so they will try all means the make sure they get they pic they wanted.. which is better for the couples at the wedding right?
i guess there are some "pros" that are like that, but then i hope the majority are NOT.

catchlights said:
You boss should pay what you eat only, why pay you so much? got xtra money to buy camera and lens liao, why still want to moonlighting?

What about people like us shooting for living? We got no right to make decent money izit?
Agree, one hundred percents support!

Harry Potter said:
I just saw my colleague's wedding photos. His shot is from a full time wedding photographer and another of his friend also helped him.

I find that the helper who is just a hobbyist, his photos are much more vibrant and brigther and pleasant to look at. I didn't comment on that as I dun want to hurt my colleague as he spent quite a fair bit on photography.

But my colleague did tell me in the end that he does very much prefer his friend's photography skills and he sort of thinks he gave me too little ang pow (as token of appreciation)!
"vibrant", "bright" are pretty subjective, isn't it?
it might not be "natural" or "true".

if the couple spend a fortune on photography,
believe they must have seen the pro's pass work.
so, unless that pro changed his style suddenly,
the BnG should know what to expect before the day is over.

btw, for the 2nd photog,
the job is not to chronicle the day,
so usually candid,
and that i believe is what the younger generaton prefers.

ps- catchlight helped me alot when i first started and know not where to start.
still is giving me job every now and then, even guide me when i faced tough
situation. a wonderful mentor who is willing to impart what he knows.
mere Thank You is not enough for what he had done for me.

GENO said:
True, for wedding photo you should look for a real pro......ask them to show you their recent works. Lets be frank, real pro do not afraid of competition, they arm with excellent skill and first class gears.

Just like other trade, they are some Dick, Tom and Harry they also call themself they are pro, they may charge you cheaper, they always win in price cutting wars.....they may don't show the best, because they don't have the skill and the right equipments, but who care?

So for those they need photography service choose carefully, ask around and decide which is suitable for you, budget cameraman or real professional photographer.

Harry Potter said:
Is doing freelance wedding photography considered as MOONLIGHTING?

I think it is considered as "a shrew investment with guaranteed long term 400% profit margin with good projection of annual growth and consistent flow of second income generating potential in stable maket conditions". :bsmilie:

Peter Lim said:
True, for wedding photo you should look for a real pro......ask them to show you their recent works. Lets be frank, real pro do not afraid of competition, they arm with excellent skill and first class gears.

Just like other trade, they are some Dick, Tom and Harry they also call themself they are pro, they may charge you cheaper, they always win in price cutting wars.....they may don't show the best, because they don't have the skill and the right equipments, but who care?

So for those they need photography service choose carefully, ask around and decide which is suitable for you, budget cameraman or real professional photographer.

i pity my friend once, he hired a so called PRO from "dont know which hole" i think :sticktong , the pics turn out sucks....he almost fainted....maybe his(PRO) camera had problem that day , if not, his skill is very very bad...

:thumbsd:

WARNING : anyone who wants to hire a PRO, make sure he brings spare set of camera with him... :sweat:

GENO said:
i pity my friend once, he hired a so called PRO from "dont know which hole" i think :sticktong , the pics turn out sucks....he almost fainted....maybe his(PRO) camera had problem that day , if not, his skill is very very bad...

:thumbsd:

WARNING : anyone who wants to hire a PRO, make sure he brings spare set of camera with him... :sweat:
Camera is just a tool, if the skill no good, bring F5, F6, 1V, 1N, D2Hs, D2X, 1DMKII also no use, anyway, a backup camera is standard practice.

Harry Potter said:
I just saw my colleague's wedding photos. His shot is from a full time wedding photographer and another of his friend also helped him.

I find that the helper who is just a hobbyist, his photos are much more vibrant and brigther and pleasant to look at. I didn't comment on that as I dun want to hurt my colleague as he spent quite a fair bit on photography.

But my colleague did tell me in the end that he does very much prefer his friend's photography skills and he sort of thinks he gave me too little ang pow (as token of appreciation)!
I’m confused!!
So who shots is nicer? Yours or your colleague's friends?

judeseah said:
ps- catchlight helped me ...........
We all are professionals, have to keep on learning till the day we stop shooting.
I just share with you my own experience because you are very keen to learn, the rest is depend on all you own effort and hard work.

+evenstar said:
What if you're asked to cover a wedding by a new client and when you meet your client, you realise that it's no other that your big boss in your company? ;p ;p
Than maybe he will help you to be come a professional photographer over night, by giving you a walking letter. :bsmilie:

judeseah said:
"vibrant", "bright" are pretty subjective, isn't it?
it might not be "natural" or "true".

if the couple spend a fortune on photography,
believe they must have seen the pro's pass work.
so, unless that pro changed his style suddenly,
the BnG should know what to expect before the day is over.

btw, for the 2nd photog,
the job is not to chronicle the day,
so usually candid,
and that i believe is what the younger generaton prefers.

ps- catchlight helped me alot when i first started and know not where to start.
still is giving me job every now and then, even guide me when i faced tough
situation. a wonderful mentor who is willing to impart what he knows.
mere Thank You is not enough for what he had done for me.

he likes the pro's work but just that when compared to the other friend's , he very much prefer my friend.

GENO said:

I agreed with you! I must say that the pro photos look very standard and that friend of his looks very sincere and someone who really looks photography, a passion, not as a job.

Harry Potter said:
I agreed with you! I must say that the pro photos look very standard and that friend of his looks very sincere and someone who really looks photography, a passion, not as a job.
Pro are serve those couples they are to busy to prepare their wedding ceremony, and they don't have time to look for a special kind of friend call passion photographer....

True, Pro photos look very Standard, sure you can recognise photos shoot by pro : Excellence exposure control, very creative, detail and sharp, good colour control,and individual pro photographer have their own style to shoot the photos.

However, if you ask the pro who looks photography a passion, not as job....sorry lah I don't think pro can do it.

If you think your friend is better than a pro then go ahead and use him, you may start to introduce your others friends to use his service too, as a person look photography a passion and not a job ,you may expect don't have to pay him a single cent and of course...... if he screw up the job please do not blame him, after all he only look photography a passion, not a job,take it easy lah!

Peter Lim said:
Pro are serve those couples they are to busy to prepare their wedding ceremony, and they don't have time to look for a special kind of friend call passion photographer....

True, Pro photos look very Standard, sure you can recognise photos shoot by pro : Excellence exposure control, very creative, detail and sharp, good colour control,and individual pro photographer have their own style to shoot the photos.

However, if you ask the pro who looks photography a passion, not as job....sorry lah I don't think pro can do it.

If you think your friend is better than a pro then go ahead and use him, you may start to introduce your others friends to use his service too, as a person look photography a passion and not a job ,you may expect don't have to pay him a single cent and of course...... if he screw up the job please do not blame him, after all he only look photography a passion, not a job,take it easy lah!

Well said.... uncle peter.

Harry Potter, like what you said the pro photos look very standard, that's means got standard lar, right? not anyhow shoot one, right?

If you ask anyone to shoot weddings, you want every wedding to be totally different, no poses looks alike, no angle is duplicated, how to do it? you tell me lar..

When pro shoot weddings, every important shots must get it, can not miss it, where got time for them to play fancy stuffs?

catchlights said:
If you ask anyone to shoot weddings, you want every wedding to be totally different, no poses looks alike, no angle is duplicated, how to do it? you tell me lar.

I have the following suggestions:

1. Shoot one wedding with green filter, another one with blue filter, third one with orange filter and so on.

2. Use fish-eye lens.

4. Use Holga toy camera.

5. Cross-process the photos.

6. Apply extreme tilt to a wedding so that it look like there is some kind of a earthquake.

7. Apply extreme crop taking out half of bride's face.

8. Use multivision filter.

:bsmilie:

Sion said:

1. Shoot one wedding with green filter, another one with blue filter, third one with orange filter and so on.

2. Use fish-eye lens.

4. Use Holga toy camera.

6. Apply extreme tilt to a wedding so that it look like there is some kind of a earthquake.

Good suggestions!!

You will see many of this kind special effects wedding day photos very soon, posted in reportage and sports sub-forum.

Definitely not done by me.

Errrr… :think: actually think of it hor…. I done 1, 2, 6, 7. on wedding before.
Hahahahaha, so you are not as creative as me. :bsmilie:

Sion said:

2. Use fish-eye lens.

4. Use Holga toy camera.

I remember just about 2~3 years ago, a bride asks me for this effect, I ask her how come she knows about this? She said her saw it in her cousin's wedding photos.

Than I replied: Than must be in the 70’ right?

She said: Yayah, how you know is in 70’? you shot her wedding also? I like this effect leh. Can have this or not?

I said: Can. But I don’t have this filter, if you pay for the filter and I will shoot this effect for you, best we go Toa Payoh Garden for outdoor shoot, Chinese Garden also can.

When she knew have to pay about $40 for the filter, she gave up the idea.

So, till now I still don't have a chance to shoot with this filter.

catchlights said:
Well said.... uncle peter.

Harry Potter, like what you said the pro photos look very standard, that's means got standard lar, right? not anyhow shoot one, right?

If you ask anyone to shoot weddings, you want every wedding to be totally different, no poses looks alike, no angle is duplicated, how to do it? you tell me lar..

When pro shoot weddings, every important shots must get it, can not miss it, where got time for them to play fancy stuffs?

Believe it or not, recently I attended 2 weddings as guest. Thus, I have 2 wedding dinner photos by 2 separate full time photographers. The dinner shots are very bad, the first row is slightly underexposed, but the 2nd row VERY underexposed. Also, got camera shake.

From those weddings posted here, many people in CS can shoot much better than this 2 guys. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.