Incompetence of the Nikon Service Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
similar to hp that dropped into toilet bowl. keep dry for a few days, and it might work after a few days

My hp cannot on, luckily Singnet allow me to pay $300 instead $900 for new replacement of iphone 4 two years ago...

Life still goes on, treat it as one of the experience TS will encounter everyday and TS will be more careful when near pool, seaside, water area ...

Last edited:
if you no longer trust NSC, i suggest you bring the camera to some other repair service or even fatigue from our very forum to give the D800 a clean up and general servicing of the internal components to prevent further corrosion.

but since it has been a month since the soaking before you brought for repair, and not sure how much time has transpired now, not sure if any corrosion damage is already permanent.

No point sending to bro fatigue. If he cant fix he will prob be classified as incompetent too. Its really tough to satisfy consumers nowadays.

I empathise with TS's predicament but I too do not agree that NSC is incompetent. There is really no way any technician will be able to know predictably that the camera will turn on months later or for that matter continue to work properly even after that. As a nikon user I have been to NSC on many occasions and I feel that the staff and technicians there do try and help whenever they can. For instance a friend of mine recently had his battery replaced with no questions asked when he noticed that the battery checker showed it was age 1 when the camera was less than a year old.

I am sure there are good technicians at the service center but this is my experience

Two friends accidentally chucked my D800 into a swimming pool and the camera stopped working. Fair enough, water damage. I took it to the Nikon service center to see if there is anything they can do and after a "general checking" by their technician, it was deemed to be a complete write off due to extensive water damage. Fair enough. It went into the pool cant blame Nikon. I left it on the shelf thinking its beyond reasonable repairs.

I saved up and bought a new camera today. When I got home, I thought what the hell might as well try the old D800 again with the new battery. And what do you know. the old D800 camera turned on fine. camera works fine. only thing is there are 3 spots in the viewfinder. so what exactly did the "general checking" at the service center entail? they couldn't just put in a different battery just to check? utter, completely incompetence...

On the upside. While I don't suggest throwing your nice shiny camera into the deep end of a pool, I am impressed with Nikon's weather sealing.

Yup they normally die . ;)

Get new friends !!! :cool:

if you no longer trust NSC, i suggest you bring the camera to some other repair service or even fatigue from our very forum to give the D800 a clean up and general servicing of the internal components to prevent further corrosion.

but since it has been a month since the soaking before you brought for repair, and not sure how much time has transpired now, not sure if any corrosion damage is already permanent.

Maybe TS can consider changing to other brands...

I've heard of similar incidents, but most service centres are like that. You drop your phone into water, they also wont repair what. Once an electronics item has water in, it is possibly deemed "unstable" set. Well, at least that was what the technician told me about mine (nothing photographic). I didn't doubt the technician even after it come back to life, knowing that it doesn't operate as well as it was. I think people nowadays tend to stand on high grounds too easily, and doubt professionals and technicians alike, thinking they know better. And if i know how to repair your stuff, i wouldn't even want to even if u pay me a lot, knowing how difficult it is to please you. To me, spoil means spoil, if come back to life, im lucky and i don't take things for granted and feel thankful. You? You take it for granted and assume "ya what he technician should know every thing". Fact is your camera went for a swimming.

I left it to dry for a month before taking it into the service center. If it was going to be dry it would have dried up by then.

With regards to liability. They could simply have said they couldn't fixed it for liability or something on that line.
If they said it costed X amount to fix and they can't guarantee the work they could simply have said so as well.

What they did say is that it would not turn on at all. Clearly, that's not the case.

That said, try storing a wet umbrella into a plastic bag, tied and keep into a side pocket of a backpack or something. 1 month later it's still gonna be wet.

I ever brought my J1 for service and after removing the lens, they didn't even try to put a cover on the body or lens. When I ask the person if this would allow dust to enter to the sensor. She told me this is not a DSLR! I think it is a "care less" attitude. Well for TS case, I am not sure if they provide explanation on why it cannot be repaired and reassure that customer that it is better to buy a new one. I doubt it.

I ever brought my J1 for service and after removing the lens, they didn't even try to put a cover on the body or lens. When I ask the person if this would allow dust to enter to the sensor. She told me this is not a DSLR! I think it is a "care less" attitude. Well for TS case, I am not sure if they provide explanation on why it cannot be repaired and reassure that customer that it is better to buy a new one. I doubt it.

I think people need to calm down. I do that all the time even for my DSLRs. mirrorless is even less of a problem. A couple of blows from the blower and the dust is gone.

I think people need to calm down. I do that all the time even for my DSLRs. mirrorless is even less of a problem. A couple of blows from the blower and the dust is gone.

I don't even switch off the camera when changing batteries. Don't know what's up with removing lenses and worrying about dust.

I don't even switch off the camera when changing batteries. Don't know what's up with removing lenses and worrying about dust.

Yes. Sometimes i do not turn off the camera when changing lenses.

Yes. Sometimes i do not turn off the camera when changing lenses.

I do this often too but people seem to be very paranoid when it comes to changing lenses without switching off, especially if it was a VR lens, some people go to the extreme of turning off the VR, then the body, before changing.

So i'd like to know whether it really is safe, and if there is some type of circuitry cut-off which harms the lens when dismounting.

I've even heard of people claiming that using 2500 mah rechargeables will kill the SB900 fast.

Haha. Is Nikon the one behind the fear mongering?

Again, make sure you turn the camera's power off before changing the lens as the image sensor itself generates a static electric charge that can attract dust. If you are using a VR (Vibration Reduction) lens, you will also want to turn the VR switch on the lens barrel to "Off".

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-An...tting-started-how-to-change-a-d-slr-lens.html

Last edited:

off track a bit....i did notice...if 1 or 2 small dust..better don't blow....somehow when i blow...there seems to be dust at the side or somewhere inside the chamber and usually end up more dust on my sensor. :) i was even thinking of vacuuming inside. :p

Just my 2 cents. I used to repair VCR's (yes, that's how old I am) and you'd be surprised how many people used to put plants on top of the box. Of course, when they watered the plants, the water would inevitably drip down onto the VCR and get on the circuit board.

The problem with plant water is that it has fertilizer and when it hits the board the liquid is acetic enough to etch the copper. Needless to say, 99% of the time, the unit was a basket case. That's why salt water from the ocean is very bad. The chlorine in a pool is, undoubtedly reactive with the copper too. If it even works now, it will probably not in a short amount of time. You should also take the battery out immediately after the accident. The power flowing through the board is what causes the chemical action on the copper.

The best thing to do is wash/soak the unit in fresh distilled water, rinse dry and blow it with a warm, not hot hair dryer until it's mostly dry. Then put it in plastic bag with a desiccant. (You've seen them, they come packed in a new camera bag to keep it dry). Rice may work too, some say. The sooner the better. The etching action starts immediately. And the more you can take it apart, the better to get most of the water out. If you act quick, you may just get your camera back.

But, all in all, it is a crapshoot. I do know when an automobile gets dunked/splashed in seawater, it is immediately considered a total loss. There are many pieces of electrical equipment, like scopes, etc, that get washed out with soapy water, rinsed and then put in an oven for a few hours to dry it out. Freaked me out when I saw them do this, but it works fine.

off track a bit....i did notice...if 1 or 2 small dust..better don't blow....somehow when i blow...there seems to be dust at the side or somewhere inside the chamber and usually end up more dust on my sensor. :) i was even thinking of vacuuming inside. :p

Blow a few more times and the dust are gone. How you blow also matters.

I do this often too but people seem to be very paranoid when it comes to changing lenses without switching off, especially if it was a VR lens, some people go to the extreme of turning off the VR, then the body, before changing.

So i'd like to know whether it really is safe, and if there is some type of circuitry cut-off which harms the lens when dismounting.

I've even heard of people claiming that using 2500 mah rechargeables will kill the SB900 fast.

If afraid, then don't do it.

Simple as that.

Did you try using the microwave hahaha the incompetence is our friends... curious accidentally chucked into the pool hmmmmmmmmmmm anyway lesson learn don't trust expensive toys with kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.